Ferno-Washington Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 28, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joseph Bourgraf

1. "Great Company Great Products"

Pros

After 6 years working at Ferno I can say it is the best place I've ever worked. For a company our size, compared to a lot of people I know that work elsewhere, the company contribution to healthcare is excellent. It's nice to get a Christmas bonus. The products we sell are very high quality and I feel that our customer service is a real strength of the company. There are a lot of hard working people here and many of the key front office people in human resources and other areas work long hours to try to make us the best in the business. If we have been at the top of our industry for as long as we have it says a lot about our products, people and leaders.

Cons

Like any company there are people that like to just complain instead of going through the hard work of actually making things better. Fortunately there are many more who realize that manufacturing requires teamwork and that is what puts us at the top of our industry.

Advice to Management

Mover the whiners and complainers out. Keep going strong in making new products.

"Mismanaged and downhill"

Current Employee - Test Technician in Wilmington, OH
    Current Employee - Test Technician in Wilmington, OH

Pros

Ambulance Industry
    Good people and owners are very humble

Cons

Horrible Management. Fake promises of growth, raises and bonuses. New managers are all about their optics and more work to other people. Work life balance is worse and they still expect us to cover for their fickleness
    No growth, horrible benefits. No raises, bonus is promised as guaranteed but is sub par due to heavy losses

Advice to Management

Beware of overambitious backstabbing people ruining the legacy

"Good Employees but hardship too sail"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, OH

Pros

Good employees, life saving products, family owned, thirsty for success

Cons

New management extremely fickle and rude. Always planning to eliminate jobs
    Very low benefits, no raises or proper bonuses. closed doors and ears. Burned out and overburdened employees. new development team ignores other teams and disrespects employees

5. "Principal Quality Engineer"

Former Employee - Principal Quality Engineer in Wilmington, OH
    Former Employee - Principal Quality Engineer in Wilmington, OH

I worked at Ferno-Washington full-time

Pros

The senior management team is exceptionally supportive.
    Personnel are hardworking and exceptionally committed to the company's success.
    A strong tradition of empowerment at all levels is exhibited on a daily basis.

Cons

The work environment as fast past with frequently shifting priorities and more work to be done than people. Under these conditions, the work load can quickly become overwhelming and stressful at times - even for the most efficient time managers.

"great people horrrible management"

Pros

your co workers will be great people

Cons

the managment wont entertain suggestions and are hard to find when needed

Advice to Management

listen to your people!!!!!!!!!

"Chaos and Negativity- Beware of FALSE FAVORABLE Reviews writeen by HR"

I have been working at Ferno-Washington full-time

Pros

Nice people, medical devices, close to highways

Cons

Lot of chaos
    New management believes in hire and fire policy no one is allowed to settle long term.
    No growth.
    New engineering management is rude and condescending against other departments and people
    Shabby building and work spaces, no raises,. Expect 60 hour work
    New management is fickle and blame delays and failures on existing employees or someone timid.
    New employees are always the favorites. They screw up and lead to losses.
    Losses affect bonuses and raises. No raises in 6 years. These days bonuses are not as promised as well.
    HR writes fake reviews when they begin hiring and never keep up to their commitments.

Advice to Management

Careful with the snakes you hired recently. Most of them don't like working for a company more than 3 years.

"You could do worse"

Former Employee - Buyer in New Vienna, OH
    Former Employee - Buyer in New Vienna, OH

I worked at Ferno-Washington full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I liked most of the people I worked with; good bonuses. good HR staff

Cons

outdated and/or obsolete equipment. the owner has lost touch with the people on the floor

Advice to Management

wait until is product is ready for the market before showing it off at a trade show!

"Ferno"

I worked at Ferno-Washington full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

All new engineering team. Finally.
    Products have tremendous potential to make a lot of money.
    Profit sharing incentive at end of year is OK. Can be negotiated way up if you are a manager, of course. For everyone else it ranges from 2-4% when I was there.
    Health care cost is very low monthly payment for OK plan. Not the best, not the worst.
    Very nice people everywhere.
    Ferno has implemented a fantastic customer satisfaction program. It's really great. Outstanding customer service department.
    The plan is air conditioned and fairly clean but needs a coat of paint that isn't 50 years old.
    There is a tremendous amount of potential at this company if the executive management can figure out how to capitalize on it.
    Career opportunities are better I think for new employees. Especially when it comes to salary.
    Can recommend working here if you can get a high salary and consider it a stepping stone type job. Not sure you'll want to stay on long term.

Cons

Pay is sub-par unless you are a recent hire. New hires are able to negotiate in very high if they are really good.
    The company policy is not to give raises. If you want one you fight for it and it makes you feel like crap.
    Vacation plan is not great. Takes 5 years to get to 15 days. Can be negotiated up to 3-4 weeks for new hires.
    No employee satisfaction programs of any kind. Executive management hasn't figured out that it's important yet. They will make ten-fold in profits if/when they get a clue.
    Facilities are sub-par and not maintained. They do renovate for new hire managers. Desks are plastic or 50 year old wood.
    Benefits are bad if you had great ones in the past, and great if you had bad ones. All relative to your situation and your expectations.
    There are some managers who were made managers because of seniority. Be careful because you could end up working for someone who may not seem qualified based on your own experiences. Some managers have not worked anywhere else and so they don't know anything other than the Ferno way which works very well for them. You may or may not agree. If your expectations are fairly low, or you just don't care, you will be fine.
    The IT systems are struggling at best. This is a great opportunity for a killer IT manager if they ever figure out there is a problem with the current people that need updating to get out of the 90's. If you are a new hire you will get a newer PC but it can take months for them to get software loaded and working. I saw this happen even though you may not believe it. They are about 15 years behind on technology.
    HR there is all about hiring/recruiting with no real focus on long term employee satisfaction. There is lots and lots of "talk" but action is low.
    Management overall does not "walk the talk" if you know what I mean.
    Career opportunities are quite low for existing employees. Only a few promotions here and there.

Advice to Management

Just because there is super nice people working there doesn't mean you have good culture. Read some articles about what happens to your profits when you put employees first, even before customers. Google "employee engagement" and read up on it.
    Please respect how hard most people work for you and give them a merit raise every year if they deserve it. If a person doesn't deserve are raise, get rid of them!
    Maintain the building. Paint and carpet is cheap relatively speaking. Maybe throw some grass seed out front. As an example, I worked there for six years and they never once washed a window.
    My suggestion is to do an employee survey to open your eyes to what employees really think and to get their ideas for how to improve. It will be hard to look at but I guarantee you will be SO happy you did it in the end if you act on it. I get that no one wants hear about where they are lacking, but I have seen putting employee satisfaction first catapult a company over the top. I hope you will do it for all the great people you have working there!
    Keep going and I hope you take out Stryker!!! (in fact, model your employee satisfaction after Styker and you will be golden. After all, they stole your cot designs so you can take their ESP ideas)

"It's amazing they've stayed in business so long..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, OH

I worked at Ferno-Washington full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My job was enjoyable and I met some great people. The products have potential. Christmas bonus is nice.

Cons

Where to begin? There is so much dishonesty it is unbelievable, and it comes all throughout the company. Management will say one thing in a meeting, and contradict themselves the same day. It all depends on who they're talking to, or about. The employees who want to do things correctly (right by the customer, the vendor, the FDA, other employees) will be let go, almost always due to "budget cuts". Amazingly, they have the funds to hire replacements right away. Good people never make it here because they can't handle the lying. They will either quit, or be stupid enough to think they open management's eyes and change the culture and then they will get the axe. If outsiders only knew what really goes on, the company would be shut down. The Wilmington facility is extremely outdated. Employees are expected to work in areas with poor lighting and ventilation.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES! If an employee has the nerve and cares enough to express concerns, it shouldn't get them fired due to "budget cuts". At least have the backbone to be honest with people. It was a great place to work when El Bourgraf was there. Joe is only concerned about acquiring more for himself. Don't let yourself be sucked into the cycle of dishonesty. Fight for change or get out.

"Supervisor"

I worked at Ferno-Washington full-time

Pros

Christmas bonus and incentive program

Cons

Have the who can we get today attitude

Advice to Management

Treat employees with the respect you would desire