Ferrellgas Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 4, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James E. Ferrell

Pros
  • Great team environment, Change of pace everyday, great benefits including ESOP (in 10 reviews)

• Good benefits and a friendly atmosphere (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises, lots of layoff due to the dependant on weather and how it effects the company (in 4 reviews)

• full time hours part time bemefits (in 3 reviews)

"High turnover"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people that worked for me!

Cons

You were doing the job of 3 people. Very very very stressful!

Advice to Management

Delegate.

"Revolving Door Due to Management"

Former Employee - Level III Service Technician in Steamboat Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Level III Service Technician in Steamboat Springs, CO

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Independent work if you are not a people person

Cons

The turnover is high with this company as they do not offer much in the way career development. Equipment is poorly maintained and when you are in a truck all day doing service work or delivery in the propane industry it gets old having to deal with breakdowns. Management is not very honest or responsive to requests. I was lied to about salary bump and confronted upper level managers regarding immediate manager. If you are desperate for work they are hiring often due to high turnover, at least in my region it was.

Advice to Management

Update your equipment. Do not force employees to be on call. Take volunteers for on call hours and offer something, anything, like a little bonus for each call out. You are so cheap when it comes to your labor so you should not wonder why you have high turnover at your Steamboat Springs, CO office. Your manager there has seen over 30 drivers and over 30 customer service reps come and go under his tenure. Perhaps your company is not as bad as this one office but based on my experience with his immediate supervisor, who you promoted, I don't doubt you have bigger problems to solve at this point like replacing Steven Wambold.

3. "Look for work else where"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time

Pros

Great place to work if you have no career goals, have no desire to be able to move up in a company and have other means of financial support. The biggest perk of the job is lack of supervision and involvement with upper management which allows plenty of time to be on Facebook all day.

Cons

Your job is dependent on the weather so if it is a mild winter you will want to start looking for another job before they cut your position. Annual raises and bonuses are also dependent on the weather not your actual job performance.

Management has too much going on to care about their employees. The company is constantly hiring and firing. The company dynamic changes almost quarterly. The company as a whole is very unorganized, unprofessional and incompetent. Effective communication is not valued between employees or customers

Do not waste your time. Do not work here.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Stop lying to customers.

"No Redeeming Qualities at All"

Former Employee - Customer Specialist in Three Bridges, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Specialist in Three Bridges, NJ

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None, nothing, nada. I got paid that is it. Had 7 bosses in the 2 and a half years I worked there. That is not a Pro but I am required to write 20 words in this box.

Cons

Office was dirty and unsanitary. Mold was on the ceiling and in the bathrooms. Toilets flushed on their own! Management would not even pay for a new chain and I had to fix it with paperclips! No training! I was paid hourly and to work Mon. - Fri., unexpectedly in the winter they decided to mandate weekends. I obtained over 100k in outstanding Gov. invoices with no pat on the back let alone bonus. No one seemed to care that I worked hard and tried to make it a better place. Thus I moved on. Have a wonderful job and appreciative boss!

Advice to Management

A beautiful headquarters is nice for those that work there but you should spread the wealth amongst the full company. Your service centers are your bread and butter so you should update them and care about those employees every bit as much as those at the home.

"Don't Bother"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There once were some, but do not matter when the end game is treating people like garbage.

Cons

Too many to list, work somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Resign

"Stay away"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Fredericksburg, VA

Pros

Good pay with benefits. Other than that I can't see why anyone would want to work here. I recommend going with another company.

Cons

Management is only concerned about the bottom line. Very little if any consideration to employees needs. They expect you to be available 24/7. No matter what. They even fired a couple of guys who had the guts to tell them that they wouldn't put up with it anymore.

Advice to Management

When you have good employees you should try to keep them. Just think of all the money the company spends on training etc. Whether you make more money than managers in other regions or at least appear to do so should not be a priority. Without a good foundation a house cannot stand.

"Delivery Driver"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits other drivers friendly and helpful that's about all the pros you don't want to work here.

Cons

Management is poor and abusive the business is under staffed the equipment is worn out junk and all there problems are blamed on the drivers.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your abusive managers who only care about there bottom line . They cut equipment and staff to the bone to make it look like they're more profitable than they really are. They're just running this company into the ground . Most employees are in fear of being fired. Promote from within and stop the lies .

9. "Management will change every 5 years a new operational plan is implemented."

Former Employee - District Manager in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - District Manager in Toledo, OH

Pros

If you rise into management they have a tendency to turn over.

Cons

Always doing more with Less.

Advice to Management

Continuity in management will help the operation.

"Customer service"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in North East, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in North East, PA

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with are very dedicated

Cons

Management turnover is extreme, we are told 'everyone is expendable and replaceable'

Advice to Management

Recognize the value of loyalty, we are humans to

11. "Hard company to work with! Management is poor at it's best. Training is not done to a good standard or level."

Former Employee - Bulk Delivery Driver in Standish, MI
    Former Employee - Bulk Delivery Driver in Standish, MI

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meet new people (customers and some fellow employees)

Cons

Compensation, perks & personal growth are not there. Regional managers are more worried about the main office then those working for them.

Advice to Management

1. Stop worrying about lining your pockets and start worrying and taking care of employees. Nothing says We don't care about you more then seeing the huge amount that those at the top get all while those at the bottom are told that there is no money for new trucks or equipment.

2 When you at the top make a decision for the company and the direction it will head and policies that will effect the company as a whole, and those ideas and policies cause a failure then take the blame instead of passing it on down tho the drivers! Case in point: pricing policies were made in 2011 that cause the loss of customer, then the next fall the CEO sends out his lovely letter and states how it is the drivers responsibility to fix the loss of customer and get them back. You broke it you fix it!

3. Most personal in the local offices have zero idea what is involved in a delivery. They should all do a ride along at least once a year or two. Maybe then they won't call drivers when the roads have 4 fresh inches of snow on them and ask why the driver is running behind and then in the same breath say keep it safe. I understand it takes money to run a company, but it doesn't take greed. Most drivers are over loaded on the number of stops for a 8 hour day, you need more quality over quantity. Over loading drivers also stops interaction with customer, the very people that you rely on and want the drivers to keep happy even when you are the reason for them being upset.

4. Not all drivers are created equal! So don't compare a newer driver to one that has been doing it for 20+ years or those that just have more experience. Not every person has the same skill set. That driver that has been there for a long time and delivering in the same area, will naturally know the roads and people, were a newer driver is still learning them.

5. Training is not telling some one to read something and then take a test and then after they pass the test telling them OK you a level 2 or 3. Training needs to consist of reading the book on each task and then some hands on until the person is good at it. Train to task, standards and quality, NOT to time and convenience!

6. Just because a person is a driver (the lowest postion in the company from what it seems) doesn't mean that they don't have great ideas that would make the company better. Listen to them and learn, use some of those ideas to make the company better.