Ferris State University Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 22, 2017

2.0
David L. Eisler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible hours, goes around school schedule, great people to work with (in 4 reviews)

• It's a calm campus and in a small town that has really clean air, beautiful weather, and nice people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Contracted, temporary, and part-time employees never get the chance to be full time, and there is a need for (in 3 reviews)

• The small town can sometimes limit people in their personal and professional growth (in 3 reviews)

1. "Lack of trust"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Ferris State University part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with coworkers within my department is great. We encourage each other to grow in our field, and are truly motivated by what's best for students.

Cons

Constant stress over administration issues which affect our day-to-day work (budgets, staffing, micro-management). Contracted, temporary, and part-time employees never get the chance to be full time, and there is a need for full time staff and faculty. There is no trust by administration to let us work to excel and grow, as we a demonstrated record of. I do speak about my department, but many departments have the same concerns.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to do what they do best. Let us know what direction you want to see us going, and we can take that path and make it something special, together.

2. "poorly run"

Former Employee - Secretary in Big Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Secretary in Big Rapids, MI

I worked at Ferris State University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really can't say anything positive

Cons

poorly run in the college I worked, severely under budget, under staffed, cut out our health benefits, culture of negativity.

Advice to Management

listen to your professors and staff

3. "Ferris State University"

Pros

Autonomy. The ability to work at my own pace when applicable. Flexibility for classes, other activities and illness. There was no dress code for my position which was very convenient.

Cons

Ferris State is a subpar school and as such the professors are frequently subpar. The division I worked in had not a single professor who knew how to do the course content and was an information systems course.

Advice to Management

Hire professors who are proficient in their course matter. Pay your teaching assistants more appropriate wages, as this will cut down on the frequent turn over.

"A great place to work if you aren't a temporary employee."

Former Employee - Instructional Technologist in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Instructional Technologist in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Ferris State University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great faculty who care abput teaching and students, friendly people, good campus atmosphere

Cons

Big Rapids is a hard place to live if you are single and in your 20s. Temporary work at FSU requires you to renew a contract every year even if your temporary position has multiple years written in. The only way to get full benefits and permanent employment may require you to apply and interview for your own job. Pay is not competitive - especially in technical positions considering the area.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Deal with problem supervisors before they run out multiple good employees.

"Run, and run fast"

Former Employee - ITS
    Former Employee - ITS

I worked at Ferris State University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good employees and team work in the individual teams

Cons

Hypocrisy. A constant state of change, insomuch as to warrant ongoing alterations to how business is conducted, especially within IT. There is a general disconnect between middle and upper management, mostly on the part of upper management.

Advice to Management

Get your head out of your butts and look at the big picture and why people are leaving. Yes, wages are an issue, but more importantly, the environment you have created is causing people to leave for lower wages and more sanity. There is a constant need for change, only for the sake of change, rarely is anything gained from changes made to either the woring environment or the systems and procedures themselves. Basically it amounts to "shake ups" so the CTO can say he is making progress. Meanwhile, as the CTO makes the environment less and less appealing, moral is falling at a rapid rate and those above the CTO level are snowed into believing all is well.

"Everyone is very Expendable"

Former Employee - Graduate Admissions Representative in Big Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Graduate Admissions Representative in Big Rapids, MI

I worked at Ferris State University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in an administrative support role so it was fairly easy work. Most of the people I worked with were nice and easy to get along with.

Cons

Office Politics, the powers that be like to treat students poorly and than ask them for donations as soon as they graduate. Good luck with that.

Advice to Management

If management wants to increase donations from alumni they should reevaluate how they treat students while they are there.

"Something to give me extra spending money."

Former Employee - Student Computer Technician in Big Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Student Computer Technician in Big Rapids, MI

Pros

They put school first in most instances and give you time for homework and classes. Also, conveniently located between classes.

Cons

Treated like a student at the job. Don't feel respected, nor do you feel like the supervisors or managers deserve respect.

Advice to Management

It'd be nice to treat student employees more fairly. Too much favoritism between supervisors and managers to really get any work done.

8. "Not the ideal place to work, even for a university cafeteria."

I worked at Ferris State University part-time

Pros

Flexible work hours, work around school schedule. Close to campus, walking distance from many of the dorms. Extremely easy to get in, no interview, just have to fill out some paperwork.

Cons

Often drama because most employees are college students. Management is not very helpful and often in a bad mood, tend to play favorites and sometimes rude to the student employees. Boring and often tedious work. No room for advancement, no raises, pay is not what it should be for the workload. Minimum wage unless you are a student supervisor. Often stressful. Strict rule for a cafeteria, must wear black shirt underneath work coat, no painted nails, no facial piercings, only two piercings allowed on ears, no earrings larger than a dime. Even if you are not working with customers. Have to wear this hideous black hat with flames that tends to get in the way. Their motto: "Breaks are a privilege." Yes, you may work 6 hours and not get a break. Occasionally have screw-ups when it comes to switching hours with other students. Even if someone signs off that they are taking your shift it's possible you'll still get blamed if they don't show up. They're organization needs work, too. They still called me for a week after I quit asking why I wasn't at work. You think they'd write it down somewhere that I no longer worked there.

Advice to Management

Be less strict, it's a college cafeteria. Most of the people who see the workers are other college students. Also, treat all employees fairly, no favorites, and maybe act like you actually like being at work.