Fidelity Investments Reviews in Merrimack, NH | Glassdoor

Fidelity Investments Merrimack Reviews

Updated January 6, 2018

Merrimack, NH

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits and work-life balance (in 536 reviews)

• Great benefits with flexible work arrangements (in 676 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance tough to maintain (in 160 reviews)

• Call center is awful experience (in 198 reviews)

"Terrible place to work"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Merrimack, NH
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Merrimack, NH

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing opportunities for incompetent people.

Cons

Only incompetent people get promoted. Managers and upper management are extremely insecure and have no idea what they are doing. Constant lies are feed to the employees on a daily basis. The good performers are stuck in their roles and do not get promoted so that the manager can benefit from their stats. Terrible employees always get promoted so that the manager does not have to deal with them anymore. If you are a woman here you will immediately get promoted and preferential treatment. Lots of stress here and terrible work environment. Management and upper management in this company are the most conniving narcissistic people you will ever meet.

Advice to Management

Most managers their should never be a manager or in any type of leadership position.

"Horrible Employer"

Former Employee - High Net Worth Financial Representative in Merrimack, NH
    Former Employee - High Net Worth Financial Representative in Merrimack, NH

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay you while you study for your exams. Only positive

Cons

The firm constantly states how conservative and honest they are, but that is only in regards to their clients, not employees. Upper management constantly lies about anything and everything. False promises across the board. Stated that simply working a full calendar year qualifies you for their 10% profit sharing payout. After a year of work, told we wouldn't be receiving the payment because we missed the "deadline" that was never mentioned. When speaking to managers/directors about why this was never mentioned to us, simply told that "you should have received it."

Promotions are just lateral moves. Want you to assist their customers on the phone, but if they talk to much it ruins your metrics and you get yelled at for it. Nothing is done to problem customers. You will spend an hour on the phone calling the Risk group about a blocked account for someone who a negative balance with the company. Of course you can't hang up on them either. Don't let them lie to you about how you're a "financial professional." Very little finance, everything about appeasing their horrible client base.

"Promotions" are almost constantly handed to the most unqualified applicants. It isn't what you know or how well you perform within your role, its all about how big of a shill you can be for the company.

When applying for a new position, every female candidate will be promoted regardless. This trend can be seen throughout the whole company. Women make up maybe 10% of Personal Investing but when it comes to manager roles its around 70/30 Female to Male.

If you're looking to get sponsored for your 7/63, work here for the 2 months it takes to get them and then leave like everyone else. Turnover rate is rampant. Pay is garbage and no one is looking out for you. Wait for the near future for more layoffs. Vanguard is taking all of Fidelity's clients and no one is safe from the chopping block.

Advice to Management

Do your jobs instead of spending all your time talking about how great of a company Fidelity is. Anyone that can succeed in the world leaves the company. The dumb employees are the only ones who stay for 20 years and work their way up, and you always award them for their incompetence.

3. "Happy at Fidelity"

Current Employee - Software Engineer/Developer in Merrimack, NH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer/Developer in Merrimack, NH

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits package is really nice. 7% 401k match, profit sharing, HSA contribution, yearly performance based bonus at Christmas, regular raises, chairman's shares which mature after two years if you do well.

Cons

Organizational structure can be labyrinth. Communication between groups could be improved. Fidelity is currently in the middle of budget cuts to IT.

"Middle Office Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merrimack, NH

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and competitive pay if you perform well and find the right team.

Cons

Lots of opportunity around the company but HR isn't great at helping with internal moves.

"Great experience, Highly recommended entry level"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merrimack, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merrimack, NH

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, quality of life, and company vision/culture

Cons

Pay is slightly lower than industry average

Advice to Management

n/a

"Trader and customer service rep."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merrimack, NH

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Great training that goes into detail on how to be sucessful at the job.

Cons

Position requirements usually do not match pay offered

Advice to Management

Employees who are already doing the job should be first in line for advancement

7. "Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Merrimack, NH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Merrimack, NH

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management. Opportunity to advance. Overtime availability.

Cons

The hours weren't ideal. Call center.

"Great company to work for, complicated career paths from entry level"

Current Employee - Equity Trader in Merrimack, NH
    Current Employee - Equity Trader in Merrimack, NH

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits
    Culture
    Collaborative atmosphere
    Insanely smart people
    Perks & ammenities

Cons

Difficult growth opportunities from entry level
    Career growth is slow to start
    Phone roles are repetitive

Advice to Management

Offer more potential growth outside of phone roles

"Undervalued and Overworked"

Former Employee - Workplace Planning and Guidance in Merrimack, NH
    Former Employee - Workplace Planning and Guidance in Merrimack, NH

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits.
    Job security - second to none. Working in Finance and providing guidance or customer service is a job that only gets more secure as the economy gets worse.

Cons

Completely undervalued - we were told for over 1 year that we would get raises and we did not. All the other groups in my business function received pay raises, and 3 or 4 other functions in the company did the same job as my group, and they got paid 20-50% more. The only time I felt like anyone cared that I was working my tail off was when I announced that I was quitting.
    Overworked - you are tethered to your phone, and you are required to take inbound calls constantly. It is a call center.
    "Sales" - you are consistently told that you are in a sales function, you have a quota to hit, and you are held to metrics. However, you have no control over what phone calls you take or what customers you talk to, and the environment and pay are not reflective of a sales function.
    Pay - the pay was pathetic compared to the rest of the industry/rest of the company.
    Budget cuts - we were not allowed to work overtime, but our sales goals were raised.
    Inconsistency - calls were transferred to my function by other sales roles. Those sales roles had very little idea what customers needed or wanted, and we were restricted from giving any type of pushback. We were required to take all calls that came to us, regardless of whether the customer's questions were in our job description.
    Promoting based on politics - I saw multiple instances of people getting promoted that did not deserve the job. There was an explicit instance that I witnessed where someone was hired into a position because they were a woman, even though they were less qualified than another candidate (who happened to be male) - management made an explicit comment that they wanted to hire a woman to the position.

Advice to Management

Show your employees they are valued. Pay your employees what they deserve. Stop making promises you can't keep. Hire more people and stop working your employees to the bone. Stop promoting based on politics or gender.

10. "tech lead"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Merrimack, NH
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Merrimack, NH

I worked at Fidelity Investments as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

encourage outside-the-box thinking for creative ideas; open-minded working atmosphere

Cons

aggressive milestones/targets in general, but I would not necessarily term this as a negative point.

Advice to Management

encourage more cross-functional works

Showing 256 of 5,279 reviews