Fidelity Investments Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Fidelity Investments CEO Abby Johnson
Abby Johnson

Cons

1. "Fund Accounting Manager"

Current Employee - FPCMS in Westlake, TX
    Current Employee - FPCMS in Westlake, TX

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are one of a kind. Community environment promotes growth.

Cons

*Once you are hired, salaries are competitive but merit raises to existing salary is not desirable. You will need a promotion to receive any significant increases.
    *Company stack-ranks employees.
    *Company in some circumstances more concerned about cost than they do employees.

2. "Sr QA"

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility at work, good on site gym

Cons

old school management style by some managers

3. "IT Professional"

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits; heath care, profit sharing, PTO. Very good middle-management.

Cons

Corporate political correctness, senior - VP level management seems quick to implement trends and fads in the IT arena without fully considering the long term effectiveness.

Advice to Management

regard the long-term employees whom have contributed to the success of Fidelity as valued assets and not a detriment to the bottom line.

5. "Challenging work, but 0 support from management when needed."

Former Employee - Business Analyst/Team Lead in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Business Analyst/Team Lead in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Fidelity Investments (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work was challenging and you learned something new on a daily basis. There was plenty of room for growth and development within the role. There was such a sense of satisfaction doing the analytical work and keeping the client satisfied with Fidelity's record keeping of their HW benefits.

Cons

No work/life balance. No support from management. You are set up for failure if you are passionate about your work. If you're good at your job then you are loaded down with the work of other employees that don't do well in their roles. You are then given an impossible amount of tasks to complete in a deadline that will not be met, and you're given little to no support. If you don't mine working 65 to 75 hours a week in order to keep up with the workload then this will be the place for you. However, if you do not enjoy working weekends, holidays, cancelling vacations, etc. for work on a constant basis then look elsewhere, because management will really look down on you for not sacrificing everything to meet their impossible expectations.

Advice to Management

Try to actually support your analysts that do a good job. Management is notorious for burning out good employees until they leave and giving preferential treatment to those that are not successful in their job role.

6. "Client Service Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Solid benefits structure however varies based on where in the US you are located

Cons

No work/life balance. Its a difficult job to want to go to everyday

7. "Good work life balance yes yes"

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

New CEO is good yes yes

Cons

Needs better career development yes

Advice to Management

Keep going

"Customer Relationship Advocate"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding benefits package. Very positive corporate culture.

Cons

Ever ask yourself "How can I waste my finance degree AND make myself less marketable at the same time?" Well, have I got a job for you! Sarcasm aside, let's just be brutally honest here. COLLEGE STUDENTS/GRADS PAY ATTENTION!!! Unless you plan to become an advisor (cough...salesman), most of the jobs you will find in the world of personal investments/brokerage services are going to be a CALL CENTER JOB! This is just the nature of the beast, yet something that your career counselor at college probably wont tell you. Call center experience is only a marketable skill to more customer service jobs. I have worked at Fidelity for several years and can honestly say that I feel I have wasted years of my life doing something I have grown to absolutely despise. Dealing with customers on the phone is a life-draining experience. So let's bring it back to Fidelity, shall we? Would you like a real-life sample of what your job will consist of as a "Financial Representative" or "Customer Advocate" at Fidelity? Well, say no more!:

8:00 a.m. - Distribution check request.
    8:10 a.m. - Hour long password reset with 90 year old client. (College degree hard at work!)
    9:10 a.m. - Distribution check request.
    10:10 a.m. - Help client find tax form online.
    10:15 a.m. - Why wont my debit card work?
    10:25 a.m. - Why wont my credit card work?
    10:35 a.m. - Complex multi-leg option trade.
    10:45 a.m. - 30 minute password reset with 80 year old client. ( I went to college for this?)

Now rinse and repeat this for 30 calls a day, day in and day out. Not exactly what you pictured yourself doing with that shiny, expensive college education, is it?
    Look...I could go on and on about other details of the job (particularly the wacked-out survey questionnaire Fidelity bases a large portion of your bonus on) but I'll leave that for some other disenchanted soul. Here is the bottom line...if you want to do sales, that is great for you and you will find many career opportunities at any brokerage firm, including Fidelity, and you will make a great living doing so. However, if sales is not your thing then I highly suggest you look elsewhere.

"Premium Services Rep"

Former Employee - Premium Services Representative in Merrimack, NH
    Former Employee - Premium Services Representative in Merrimack, NH

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, ample opportunity for growth

Cons

Fidelity has a reputation for chewing people up and spitting them out. There's a high turnover rate and you're typically either there for a very short time or for years if you can cut it. During my lengthy multi-year tenure, Fidelity's focus went from a very high level of efficient customer satisfaction fading into higher and higher efficiency to the point of rushing people off the phone if they had no outside assets to consolidate. Higher level management tends to be aloof as to the customer and employee concerns/issues that reps are having to face daily on the front lines, oftentimes blindly making decisions with no idea or regard as to the unintended consequences that negatively affect employees and customers. Advancement is based on merit to a degree, but company politics and who you know is much more important despite management's efforts to thwart this.

Advice to Management

Reduce the levels of bureaucracy and be a little bit more in touch of the customer and employee experiences and challenges.

10. "Accounting"

Former Employee - Fund Accounting Analyst in Merrimack, NH
    Former Employee - Fund Accounting Analyst in Merrimack, NH

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees, fun team, cafeteria, group outings

Cons

Management were sub-parm and lacked people skills. Pay well below industry average.

"Bit of a tradeoff..."

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment. Great benefits. Fidelity cares about the customers and their employees. Flexibility with your schedule is also a plus.

Cons

I worked at a call center and I can tell you that taking calls all day was very draining. I use to like talking to people but this job has made me antisocial. If you have the right manager, you can last there for a few years and you will want to because of all the great benefits. But when you start to feel like you don't even want to say "Hi" to the Publix cashier, thats your sign to either move into a more challenging role or time to get out.

Advice to Management

I understand it gets busy during tax season, but working continuously without any time off the phone is the reason why the attrition rate is so high.

Showing 988 of 4,246 reviews