Fidelity Investments Reviews | Glassdoor

4,180 Employee Reviews

"A call center"

Former Employee - CSS in Westlake, TX
    Former Employee - CSS in Westlake, TX

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, coworkers, covered parking garage

Cons

Managers are not in touch with their employees, no growth difficult move within the company

Advice to Management

Help the employee not just your position

"Fidelity is a solid, trustworthy company with great opportunities"

Current Employee - Director in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Director in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management is smart and flexible
    Middle of the road salaries bolstered by tremendous benefits and profit sharing
    Plenty of opportunities to change roles as often as you'd like
    Beautiful work buildings -- and green footprints!
    High integrity among all employees; always doing what is right for customers first.

Cons

Hierarchical, so getting approvals is often time consuming
    Highly regulated, so external communications are reviewed very carefully and sometimes heavy handidly.

Advice to Management

Keep making decisions that are right for our customers; it's what really sets us apart from other financial services firms.

"Principal Operating Systems Programmer"

Former Employee - Principal Operations Engineer in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Principal Operations Engineer in Cary, NC

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Profit sharing, Bonus, Medical/Dental benefits

Cons

Management does not let the employees know enough information pertaining to the direction of the company.

Advice to Management

Recognition and truthfulness on internal affairs, what is happening with the thinking of upper Management and honesty.

5. "Good place to work while you find something better."

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are great: 401k match and profit sharing, top-of-the-line medical. If you work there long enough, you will become retirement-rich. Hours and holidays are bank-like, 45 hrs/week expectation.

Cons

Middle management (From VP- Branch Office Managers up to Market Managers) seem disconnected from branch reality. Micromanagement is becoming more and more pervasive. For example, manager monitors calls every 15 minutes to keep track of activity. Because of these factors, many of Fidelity's most successful reps are leaving in order to achieve more autonomy and flexibility. If you are considering working in the branch network, I encourage you to speak with at least one rep who has been there for greater than 1 year, so you can get a real representation of what the job is like. Managers have been known to embellish, if not flat out lie, when recruiting.

Advice to Management

If you wish to continue the massive talent and brain drain that is occurring in the branch network, keep on doing what you're doing. Keep incentivizing branch managers one way but paying reps a different way.

6. "Director -Operations"

Former Employee - Operations Director in Covington, KY
    Former Employee - Operations Director in Covington, KY

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hire and support the best people, most ethical company I have ever worked for, great benefits, really want their associates to succeed.

Cons

Perhaps a little too conservative but I believe that is driven by their commitment to ethical behavior. Can't even discuss NCAA brackets at work for fear of disciplinary action

"It really depends on which department you land in..."

Former Employee - Phone Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Phone Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent technology, great in-house software, top-notch training and support, great benefits, and lots of overtime opportunities. A very good place to start if you are fresh out of college.

Cons

Really depends on what sub-department you work in. Some of the worst have: Cliques, bullying, back stabbing, high burnout, and lots of turnover. Not every department has these issues, just a few. The occasional bad manager or horrible coworker have a tendency to stay on with the company forever. Trust me, you won't outlast them. I tried and failed.

Advice to Management

Vet your new hires better: for both managers and newbies. I still have terrible nightmares about some of the clueless managers and evil coworkers that I had to work with. These train wrecks should have never been hired.

"Senior Director"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Fidelity Investments (More than 10 years)

Pros

dynamic fast paced, innovative, intelligent culture

Cons

hectic, confusing, constantly changing, unclear future innovation

Advice to Management

none

"Financial Representative"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good. Student loan repayment, 7% 401 match and a very flexible schedule.

Cons

For people like myself who crave interpersonal connection and helping people, the job will feel like you've sold your soul. Make no mistake, this is a call center, plain and simple. Many people are not mentally suited for it, and the role habitually burns out incredibly talented and valuable people.

Advice to Management

Set realistic expectations for employees, treat them like people, not numbers. Stop promoting on favoritism. Hire managers who are nurturing people, not just someone looking for a temporary role whole trying to find something better.

"ISR"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Westlake, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Westlake, TX

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time

Pros

Education
    Fun co workers
    Job Simplicity
    Training
    Licensing
    on-site gym

Cons

Pay
    Recorded calls
    Call Reviews
    Working on holidays

Advice to Management

Pay your reps more money (especially after they are hired out of entry level) so that they not only stay longer, but you dont waste so much money training new people and paying for licensing. Out of the double digit number of people I personally know that have quit, pay had almost 100% to do with it....

"Game of thrones"

Former Employee - Engineer in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary is okay. Perks are okay.

Cons

My rating is purely based on my experience in Fidelity’s IT department specifically in plan admin group.
    I had horrible experiences in this group, primarily because of all the politics that goes around. The modus operandi for this group is traditional command and control in the today’s world where openness, collaboration, and team work is paramount for being successful in competitive world. There is reverse discrimination (discrimination based on ethnicity by Indian managers toward Indian worker), ignorance of meaning of word ‘leadership’, age based discrimination, and disregards of person’s ability/skills/experience.
    Reverse Discrimination: I have experience a constant reminder that am Indian and shouldn’t forget that where I come from. Don’t think you would be treated equal, just because you are working in US along with US workers. I would still latch on the fear tactics, which is based on fear of numbers (i.e. don’t care what you bring to the table, I would replace you with a cheap labor from India), to make you submissive. Only when you are submissive, then you will be given anything (responsibility, promotion, raise, bonuses etc.). Otherwise forget about it. How are can you be creative, and realize your potential when you are being force in submission by your leadership? What a paradox!
    Leadership: Middle managers (VP & Below) don’t get the meaning of leadership. Leadership is about bringing out the best from each individual not force him/her into submission, and then use them as labor. They are uninspiring, have no stewardship, have no contextual awareness, and bully. I have seen people going into clinical depression who have worked there for many years, and gave best their lives to the company. These managers have no regards for that, and have no idea how to inspire people to actualize themselves. They are micromanager because they don’t know how to create value for businesses which would create value for themselves as well as value for people working for them.
    Age based discrimination: Managers discriminate people with higher age because they can smell nonsense from a mile. Uninspiring leadership would naturally resolve to tactics of command & control, carrot & sticks, and God knows what else. One weapon in their armor is to fire aged guys 35 & above and hire young one for cheap. Instead of leveraging experience, and skills of senior person, they are condemned to dark roads after giving best years of their lives to the organization.
    Disregard for skill/knowledge/experience: Doesn’t matter how highly educated you are or what skills do you have or what experience you have, you still be treated like a labor. There is no decentralization of decision making, empowering the team, or given chances to advance your career.
    Politics: Highly political environment. Sometimes it felt like we are not in business world but in political world, where pulling one another down by any means necessary is fair game. In my opinion, the deep reason for such behavior is fear of losing job. Subconsciously, that fear brings out protectionist tendencies, and creates unfair environment. Below is tactics for harassing people.
    • Don’t let them talk to business folk – red tape.
    • Don’t let them have their vacations when they want.
    • Don’t communicate expectation from the job. Keep vague definition of roles and responsibilities so that they can be mended and used against people to break them down mentally.
    • Act like a bully for people who don’t agree with your idea. Typical Indian way of working. Create gang of unskilled sycophants to intimidate others by show of force.
    • Always criticize, never appreciate.
    • Don’t clearly communicate goals, vision, or strategy for the group. I most certainly think that they have idea what these means, or how value creation process work.

Advice to Management

Have a 360 review system
    Rotate Directors and above in different groups every three year.
    Decentralize. Create agile delivery method.

Showing 4,180 of 4,452 reviews