Fidelity Investments Reviews in Utah | Glassdoor

Utah

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance is sometimes challenging (in 142 reviews)

• Call center style of employment for most jobs (in 170 reviews)

1. "International Equity Trader"

Current Employee - International Equity Trader in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - International Equity Trader in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very ethical, supportive company. Good internal training. Excellent internet site for international training available to customers.

Cons

My work has been very focused on customer interaction- it has lacked longer term more involved projects.

"Financial Sales"

Current Employee - Financial Sales Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Financial Sales Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very flexible with schedules and time off for family reasons. great 401k match plus yearly pension payment. health insurance is affordable, HSA yearly payment from the company.

Cons

very very slow making changes to be more competitive. There are some very poor EVPs, mis-matched alignments in upper management service groups managing sales organizations and the resulting loss of long term focus and goals. This call center is very "good ole boys club", promotion is all about who you know. The pay is very low compared to competitors in the same region. For being a privately held company who manages a trillion dollars have not had a pay increase in over 10 years and management of my group has very specifically changed quarterly comp goals in order to pay employees less for the same amount of work. Can be a very toxic environment but those situations seem to come and go

"May be going downhill"

Current Employee - Electronic Response Financial Representative in American Fork, UT

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits
    Friendly environment
    If you're liked, it's easy to move around to different positions
    Great for a sales environment (not pushy to customers - always what's in their best interest) - I would highly recommend Fidelity to anyone who really likes sales and a high intensity environment
    7% 401(k) match + profit sharing contributions every year
    Great training if you start off not knowing anything about the financial industry
    Recently they've been trying to (at least act like they are) make changes to make the employee experience better
    Industry leader and well known

Cons

A 529 plan is a tax-advantaged higher education savings plan made possible under section 529 of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC). A 529 plan allows individuals to save money for a beneficiary by contributing up to $14,000 (or $28,000 if married and filing jointly) annually without incurring gift or generation-skipping transfer tax liability. Earnings in this plan grow federal income tax-deferred and the distributions are federal income tax-free as long as they are used for qualified higher education expenses. There may be additional state tax benefits to participants, contingent on their state’s tax regulations.

Nepotism
    Who you know can get you a job
    If your manager doesn't like you, it's going to be nearly impossible to move up in the company
    Last year they bumped up the new hire pay by I think $5,000 to get more people interested in applying, but none of the pre-existing employees have gotten any type of compensation adjustments to make up for it
    The annual salary review (and usual salary increase) is being pushed back this year, so that it's a year and a half from our last increase
    Don't get settled into what your role is defined as, because it'll most likely change without your opinion being considered
    Everything is going full-blown sales - they push a "customer first" attitude, but all of the compensation and management feedback is exactly the opposite
    We used to be able to take time to do research and follow up on our clients' needs, but they're punishing us for taking the time to ensure our customers have good experiences because we're not constantly taking phone calls/chats/emails etc.
    The only things that our bonuses are really based on are how many interactions we're taking per hour, how many sales leads we can get, and then our customer feedback survey scores - but they keep lowering the amount of impact the feedback surveys have... it seems like they're caring less and less about the customer's experience, and more and more about how much money they're making (to be honest, it's a dog-eat-dog world out there for investment firms right now though)

Advice to Management

Think about your existing employees. Don't concentrate solely on the company's margins. You're going to be back in a place where you're having to increase your starting pay for new hires because so many of your existing employees have quit because you don't act like you care about them, and no one wants to work for the company.
    Once you have taken care of your employees, they'll take care of your customers... if you let them. Fidelity employees (for the vast majority) want to follow up on customer problems and make sure they get them resolved, but since you keep increasing the number of interactions per hour, and limiting any time for following up for customers, employees just stop making time to resolve customer problems because then their "numbers" will look worse than their teammates who never follow up, and who rush people off the phone to increase their interactions per hour, and subsequently, their bonuses.

4. "great place to work!"

Current Employee - Brokerage Operations Representative in American Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Brokerage Operations Representative in American Fork, UT

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule and can work from home!

Cons

micro managing...... and constant ask for OT

5. "PWM Senior Portfolio Specialist"

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In depth solid investment planning. Experience working with wealth planners, advisors and high net worth clients.

Cons

High risk and difficult work load.

6. "Senior Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great people, benefits, and culture

Cons

IT positions somewhat limited in Salt Lake

"Golden handcuffs"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. Fidelity has the right intentions and they always error on the side the employee. The challenge here is that they often keep corrosive employee's around.

Cons

Soul crushing bureaucracy. Non technical management in a technical field equals poor decision making.

Advice to Management

Stop letting HR move the bullseye every 6 months.

"It really depends on which department you land in..."

Former Employee - Phone Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Phone Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent technology, great in-house software, top-notch training and support, great benefits, and lots of overtime opportunities. A very good place to start if you are fresh out of college.

Cons

Really depends on what sub-department you work in. Some of the worst have: Cliques, bullying, back stabbing, high burnout, and lots of turnover. Not every department has these issues, just a few. The occasional bad manager or horrible coworker have a tendency to stay on with the company forever. Trust me, you won't outlast them. I tried and failed.

Advice to Management

Vet your new hires better: for both managers and newbies. I still have terrible nightmares about some of the clueless managers and evil coworkers that I had to work with. These train wrecks should have never been hired.

"Sr. Portfolio Specialist"

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with amazing benefits, and high integrity. They are client obsessed in culture and put the customer first, and willing to make changes to improve things for clients and employees.

Cons

Annual pay increase most years didn't keep up with national inflation rates. Most all employees love the company, but job satisfaction has declined in that last year or two.

Advice to Management

Executives set lofty goals that stretch workforce, but local directors and managers push reps by setting goals even higher than asked in an effort to stand out. Rethink stack rankings it promotes a culture that best practices aren't shared. New role training is great, but there isn't enough time allowed in role for continuous learning.

10. "Vice President"

Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and total compensation.

Cons

Large institution, slow to change.

Advice to Management

Accelerate improved management culture - people coaching.

Showing 157 of 4,622 reviews