Fidelity & Guaranty Life Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 2, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chris Littlefield

"Good company going in the right direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Fidelity & Guaranty Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun, can-do company that has been investing in the future. Still has a small company feel with a lot of great talent to work with.

Cons

It is a hard working environment but there is a lot of opportunity to have a great impact.

"Small business feel with big business benefits."

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Fidelity & Guaranty Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Fidelity for 9 months. I was attracted to the company because of the small business feel. Don't let that fool you, it is very fast paced. They offer great benefits, downtown work environment and compensate very well. It is a very relaxed and flexible work environment and great co-workers. Never a boring day.

Cons

Maybe the fast pace at times. I like the challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Growing Company w/ Talented Employees and Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Fidelity & Guaranty Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Been with the organization 1-2 years. Pros include: sound work/life balance, conscientious employees who take pride in their role and are open to helping others, opportunities to work with management on important projects (not always something available in larger organizations), commitment to the community, comfortable work environment (currently enjoying jeans for January), all employee outings.

Didn't know much about the company before getting hired. Has been a good experience for me overall.

Cons

Three locations, so some travel is required.

Advice to Management

Remain aggressive in hiring strong candidates, keep offering the small things that make the company unique (jeans days, outings, team building) that don't have a high cost but are nice for employees.

"Great corporate climate"

Current Employee - Systems and Network Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Systems and Network Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Fidelity & Guaranty Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

FGL offers great benefits from the day you start. Great 401k match. Summer hours on Fridays during the summer months. The company is rewarded often for great performance with causal days, which is great. The location in Harbor East is a great area in Baltimore MD! The location impressed me during the interview. Great leadership. There seems to have been a regime in several change over the past few years, which has netted a talent group of high performers. Folks seem genuinely happy. Great place to work.

Cons

Not many cons. Expect to hit the ground running. Environment can be fast paced with little training during onboarding. If you ask questions you'll pick up quickly.

Advice to Management

None

"Best company I have worked for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Fidelity & Guaranty Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is growing and experiencing a lot of success. I love the culture here. Everyone is friendly, open, and enjoys what they do. We have a fantastic leadership team and they have everything headed in the right direction. Chris Littlefield is an awesome CEO and we are fortunate that he joined our company. We work hard, but have a lot of fun too!

Cons

Like all companies, there are things that can be improved, but employee feedback is taken seriously and engagement is valued at FGL. A lot of positive strides have been made over the last couple of years. It's a great place to work!

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees and valuing their opinions. Professional development and communication are keys to a great company culture.

"OMG! When is PR and/or HR going to stop posting excellent reviews to bump the overall rating?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Fidelity & Guaranty Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most employees are friendly and dedicated. I think they drug us.

Cons

They will work you to the bone, use you up, then kick you to the curb. No work/home balance.

Company claims they are "innovative" and "cutting edge." Hilarious. Great canned response.

"Absolutely Horrible Company"

Former Employee - Senior Network Systems Engineer & Helpdesk Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Fidelity & Guaranty Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro is that they offer good benefits.

Cons

There are too many to list. The Management especially in IT is nuts! Despite a huge turn-over it has not gotten any better. People are leaving every day. They work you day and night with endless projects and production stopping issue. Many people especially managers are nice to your face and gossip about you to everyone else. There is no team work, everyone feeds off of belittling each other. Even after I left they are still asking for help and nagging me. If you join this company you will not have any peace until you leave!

Advice to Management

The current majority share holder is selling them, so hopefully the new owners will come in and clean house. They should start by getting rid of the IT department especially their management.

"Need more PhDs to lead the company right"

Former Employee - Service Manager of IT in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Service Manager of IT in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Fidelity & Guaranty Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Green building offers school assistance, arrogance is generally accepted when SVPs are micromanaging the people directly and bypassing their direct supervisors. I'd almost die laughing...

Cons

Everything else. I got let go because of my nice personality. I was always trying to adapt and to help regardless of how impotent the IT leadership was.

Advice to Management

Fire y'all selves

"Bad place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Systems and Network Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Systems and Network Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Fidelity & Guaranty Life (More than a year)

Pros

Good location, and some good people.

Cons

No teamwork, bad management, no work life balance.

"My Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Fidelity & Guaranty Life (More than a year)

Pros

Good Intentions, some nice people, small size company

Cons

Bad culture, lacks teamwork...difficult to please everyone and no work life balance...