Fidessa Reviews | Glassdoor

Fidessa CEO Chris Aspinwall
Chris Aspinwall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I found you have to fight for career progression rather than being offered it so after a couple of years people tend to move on (in 8 reviews)

• Old technologies, relatively low pay (in 6 reviews)

"Great Company. Good work-life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Fidessa full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fidessa really cares about its employees and listens to the employees advices. It encourages employees to have extracurricular activities. It also has a good work-life balance.

Cons

The resources to complete projects have become more and more thin. Work is often pushed back and forth between different team.

"Friendly, But Finance"

I worked at Fidessa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Friendly folks to work with for the most part.
    - Feeling of learning and support for desires of lateral progression.
    - Adequate benefits.

Cons

- Old and/or proprietary technologies leave little transferable skills.
    - Work atmosphere tends to be "finance bro" in nature; could have done with hearing the word retarded less often.
    - Some teams were known as being unhelpful.

Advice to Management

- Updating software and systems to use more modern and widely used technologies.
    - More formalized and structured methods to reach out to HR.
    - Openness to change of established systems.

3. "Good "Stepping Stone" Job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Fidessa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun/intelligent people for the most part, good benefits, fun events

Cons

little to no room for growth in administrative work, lazy senior management

Advice to Management

Be more upfront, stop ignoring consistent complaints

"Buyer Beware"

Former Employee - Service Delivery Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Service Delivery Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Fidessa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Breathtaking views. Their New York City office was one of the most beautiful offices I’ve ever seen. They have a new office in Jersey City that looks just as beautiful.

Got me to NYC. The job got me out of my small town and to NYC and I will always be grateful for that.

They’ll hire anyone. If you just graduated college and need a real job, they will hire you.

Fresh fruit. They usually had fresh fruit in the kitchens for everyone most mornings. Their coffee machine was top notch as well. These were nice perks.

Vacation Time and Insurance. Lots of time off and their insurance plans are outstanding. That’s rare these days.

Cons

The people. For every one person that takes their job seriously, there’s four people that do the minimum to get by. You will find yourself wondering how lots of the people got hired in the first place. There’s a handful of technical leads that are knowledgable or helpful, but everyone that’s good at their job, that I’ve seen, left for a better paying job. New ideas and employee input is looked down upon.

Managers. You’ll quickly notice that managers and leads outnumber non managers. They fall into two categories, either two years out of college and think they’re far more important than they are, or they’ve been with the company for 10+ years and would never get hired anywhere else. Think about it, there’s a reason these managers have been there for 10+ years at comically low pay. We did a count one day and there was 1.33 managers for every non manager.

Bully culture. It was rare to find someone in a senior position at Fidessa that wasn’t a flat out nasty human being. Delivery managers and technical leads seem to equate that being nasty to their teams makes them good at their jobs. Not the case. It forces anyone that’s good at their job to leave.

Reputation. Lots of companies will not talk to you if your last job is at Fidessa. My recruiter had to cancel two interviews I had because the people hiring refused to talk to people who’s current or last job was at Fidessa. They said the employers had bad experiences and question the ability of people coming from Fidessa and would rather speak with other candidates. The skills you learn here are not transferable.

The pay. Their salaries are industry low and it forces people to leave. The trend is come to Fidessa with no financial experience, learn about equity and options trading, then leave for a job at a bank that pays triple the salary. They go out of their way to pretend it’s a fun start up environment to attract recent college grads because the turn over is so high. Most people last about two years and leave.

Advice to Management

Not going to waste my time. They never listened while I was there, why would they now?

Fidessa Response

Jan 12, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on Glassdoor. it's unfortunate these issues were not highlighted during your tenure with Fidessa as this is not a normal experience. Fidessa takes... More

"It's not all good or bad, but understand what you're getting into"

Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Fidessa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- At least on the surface, the company doesn't expect you to put in crazy hours (but see cons).
    - The benefits are still okay though not what it was 10+ years ago.
    - The company is stable
    - You will learn about Finance

Cons

- The downsides of a large company, minus the prestige or benefits (pay).
    - The downsides of working in a satellite office.
    - Little room for meaningful promotion or growth.
    - The technology is very specialized, and so what you learn is only somewhat transferable.
    - The long-term development managers in New York play games with their own subordinates, in order to maintain good relationships with the business side and their superiors and will leave developers to hang.

This leads to an uncomfortable scenario for the typical developer personality: Do you maintain a work-life balance? Or do you burn your precious time and try to deliver, while getting a substandard pay?

Advice to Management

Everything that needs to be said has been said already in other reviews.

6. "Good Company"

I worked at Fidessa full-time

Pros

Good company to work for.
    Good atmosphere.

Cons

Below market compensation and occasional pay freezes

Fidessa Response

Oct 10, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate all of our employee's input to help better the culture and company.

"Good First Job In Finance, Leave Before You Get Soft."

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Fidessa (More than a year)

Pros

Fresh fruit in the office.
    Outstanding health insurance plans.
    Was never pressured to work ridiculous hours, this various from team to team.
    Lots of vacation time.
    Great place to learn equity and options trading in a zero pressure environment.

Cons

They take advantage of recent college grads and it’s mean. I came to Fidessa from one of their college career fares. They’re a financial software company that masquerades as a technology startup. What most people don’t realize is they’re doing the same work as people at big banks only Fidessa pays about half the salary and has a “game room”.

No opportunity for growth whatsoever. All leads and managers have been with the company for 15+ years. They’re not going anywhere and most have no marketable job skills outside of setting up Fidessa systems. Leave before you get stagnant. In my first month at the company, one of the senior execs pulled everyone in a room to tell us that there is no chance for people to get promotions with a new title structure they were putting in place.

All their good people leave for other jobs. While they’re, there’s usually one or two people on every team are very knowledgeable and good at their jobs. What’s happened on every team I was on is those people end up leaving for high paying jobs at other banks. It’s not uncommon for people who work here to leave for a job doing similar work that pays $250K a year.

Advice to Management

It’s a nice place to work, but the lack of career growth mixed with industry low salary is going to make your best employees leave.

"Plan your exit on day one."

I worked at Fidessa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They're not cannibals and the checks clear.

Cons

Too many to list. Biggest one is... if you're not immediately relatable to management meaning in the same "demographic" as them (you can figure out what this means) then you're not really getting anywhere. Otherwise, they have a culture of sarcasm, mockery and scapegoating. Spend your time documenting every conversation as you may need it later on to prove out a case to the employment office

Advice to Management

Allow employees to review management, but they might run out of toner cartridge and paper.

9. "Nice comapny"

Pros

1. Nice, helpful coworkers
    2. Comfortable work/life balance
    3. Stable business

Cons

1. Pay on the lower end
    2. Simple work

"Spread too thin"

I worked at Fidessa full-time

Pros

Good vacation time, health benefits

Cons

Uncomfortable office dynamic, too much work for the number of people, below average pay, high turnover

Advice to Management

Pay better attention to employee concerns, address issue of high turnover