Financial Engines Reviews | Glassdoor

Financial Engines Reviews

Updated February 14, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Company has a good understanding of work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• It feels good to build useful applications that help people plan their retirement (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • I have not seen any good plan for career growth/training as of now, but I believe work is under progress (in 5 reviews)

• Executives and Senior Management are always trying to find a way to make new money (in 5 reviews)

"Fast paced environment for engineers"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Financial Engines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got an opportunity to learn lots of new technical skills while working at Financial Engines and grow. The company provides a fast paced environment for developers with lots of architectural improvements going on like move to cloud. There are opportunities to take initiative and gain visibility.

Cons

There is a lot of churn going on which causes shift in priorities, mostly for the good, but it can get annoying at times.

Advice to Management

It would be great if the priorities could be worked out before it reaches the development team

"Ah you know the story about the little engine that could"

Current Employee - Development Director in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Development Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Financial Engines is like that, lots of smart people, big ideas - some of it translates well some of it not so much. Like any company it has struggled to find itself but its doing well at moving the ball forward. it any company it comes back to management some of them are flat brilliant some of them should be unemployed

Cons

No daily foot rubs - included all of my thoughts under PRO's

Advice to Management

Ha! give me management advice? Why all managers know everything already - give yourself some advice and manage your own career and don't pay attention to the clown in the monkey suit, who is not likely to be there a day from now - regardless of how well his team executes or doesn't none of it really matters

"Good Work life balance and smart colleagues to work with"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time

Pros

I joined in 2015 and have had amazing time here. This place is being rediscovered and have tremendous potential. I manage an impactful product and have a lot of say about the roadmap and vision.

I like my team and enjoy the collaborative culture which is not cutthroat and very welcoming, unlike some of the previous companies I worked in. The management is trying new ideas and there are lot of innovation around the business model and style as a result I do see some difficulties in the culture change but I believe we are moving in the right direction.

There is a lot of focus on voice of employees and employee engagement.

Cons

I have not seen any good plan for career growth/training as of now, but I believe work is under progress.

I see a lot of flak generated from employee who have been here for some time and are leaving or are in the verge of leaving. These are noises and we should be looking beyond them.

Advice to Management

Continue in this path and keep the transparency as it allows us to see everything as is - good and bad. I strongly believe in the leadership and our core values.

Working in this space with government regulations and company restriction is not easy, fact that we have focused on end customer and not budged is by itself an achievement.

5. "Place of opportunity"

Pros

Stress free environment, good people to work with specially management

Cons

Some kiss up people that ruin it for the others

Advice to Management

Care for quality work of employees and their review from they receive rather than one person opinion

"Engineering"

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time

Pros

The offices and teams at FE are great! Super friendly people, very helpful.

Pay is great as well.

Cons

This is not a place for high performers. There is no scope for career development.

"Come here only if you want to relax and do nothing"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Financial Engines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want to relax and do not want to do anything this is the best place for you. People are nice to each other, most of them have been here for their life time. Lately they are spending money for almost any software they hear about (unfortunately they do not have even 1% expertise in using those solutions). It would be unfair to not give credit for the good office building, descent cafe, and really helpful facilities people.

Cons

I am taking some time before writing this review to be able to do a fair job. This is possibly one of the worst place to work in bay area from growth prospective. Engineering is a myth around here, people are rewarded for their time spent here with promotions instead of talent. The ironical part is that almost every one in the company is an applications architect and almost none of them knows about application servers or the infrastructure. Most of them have worked with only one or two applications for their entire life time so its not hard to tell the reason. To be fair to them, they have adapted to the culture to earn those positions. Sounds more like selling your soul to the devil. The applications original architecture is not so bad if one can see through it, clearly the people who wrote it had a vision in mind. But down the line people abused the code without understanding which is why it is in such a pathetic state today. There is no scope of learning and improving your skillet unless you are a self learner, forget about possibility of changing anything at all.
          A lot of people make a living by acting as guard dogs to the entries of different resources, no wonder they have a job security. Classical example is the devops/sysops. Traditionally these roles are for the support where they help engineers with the system administration and provisioning of resources. Unfortunately they have taken the reins in their hands for the technology because the technical leadership is non existent. Their goal is to avoid any new additions to their work load which effectively means scuttling any new product or application by any possible means. Almost for everything they have a suggestion to make which is buying some solutions off the shelf instead of writing any code for one simple reason - they do not have to maintain anything.

The root cause is not hard to find. The executives here have made enough money and they do not have any ambitions to change the state of the things. Its definitely in their best interests to continue this as long as they can.

Advice to Management

It would be impractical to expect the management to change anything. If the problems here are about specific people then it would be a different story. Unfortunately the management itself is the problem here and one would not just fire themselves.

"Great Experience"

Pros

Great opportunity to learn, earn your license, and work with incredible people who are passionate about what they do.

Cons

Product offering is not competitve but might get better with the new acquisition of The Mutual Fund Store.

Oddly, for a compay whose core business is 401k plans - the one offered to employees is lackluster and the company match is only 4%.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop things like Career Paths, Internal and External Training Opportunities and reasons for your best people to want to stay.

Financial Engines Response

Aug 29, 2016 – EVP, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Financial Engines and for your feedback on developing people through career paths and learning opportunities. We are on a path to bring ... More

"Great Place to Work"

Pros

Loved working for the Company! Great, talented group of professionals.

Cons

Can be occasionally too metric-in-the-weeds-driven.

"Great people creating fiduciary retirement value"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Financial Engines full-time

Pros

Wonderful people who are mature yet not complacent. FE's technology stack is rapidly evolving and a good technical challenge. FE willingly sponsors H1B engineers and has a good collaborative and Agile culture. The product and service vision and their independent fiduciary pledge makes FE a trustworthy leader in retirement planning and management.

Cons

Currently manages only retirement assets leaving taxable assets to other players. Higher than desirable turnover in both Product and Engineering teams depletes legacy expertise while creating fresh opportunity for progressive thinkers.

Advice to Management

Get ready for the next market downturn. Continue to develop client relationships in order to stabilize attrition and calm market jitters ahead. Leverage your fiduciary advantage.

"Review from a longtime software engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Financial Engines full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked 8 years as a software engineer in Financial Engines. During these years, this company has gone through two major waves of technology revamps. Each time pushed FE towards more modern tech stacks in both front and back ends. All four engineering departments -- Consumer Products, Platforms, Tech Office, and Tech Ops have passionate and bright people who constantly bring innovations to existing technologies.

Company has a relatively flat structure. Individual contribution is highly visible. We have interns working on explorative projects, and these projects went to production after a few polish. We have both junior engineers and senior architects who brought what they learned in their previous companies and made real impact at FE. Currently, the company is continuing the 2nd wave of revamp. The technologies FE is transitioning into are quite exciting, comparable to those used in some unicorn startups.

The people are friendly. Team feels really like a team. New office is nice. The CTO is awesome.

Cons

Like all companies, FE has legacy code. Adopting new technologies and getting familiar with legacy code could sometimes be daunting. The domain knowledge is very deep. Take years to grasp.

Life-work balance can be an issue occasionally, depending on teams. SCRUM is getting a bit out of hand -- Engineers wear too many hats, and thus don't have enough time to code.

Not many lunch choices around the office. Local traffic during rush hours can be heavy.

Brand is not well recognized.

Advice to Management

Improve the way to channel passion to daily work. Have more hackathons, and less distractions for engineers. Having engineers wear too many hats is counter-productive. Some PMs need to be technical to better understand the complexity and workload. To truly incarnate the story of Lisa, establish FE's brand instead of trying to blend into provider or record keeper's brand.