Financial Engines Reviews | Glassdoor

Financial Engines Reviews

Updated September 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work/life balance, very easy to work from a remote location or home when needed (in 15 reviews)

• It feels good to build useful applications that help people plan their retirement (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • I have not seen any good plan for career growth/training as of now, but I believe work is under progress (in 5 reviews)

• Executives and Senior Management are always trying to find a way to make new money (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time

Pros

Free food and drinks all day, wellness incentive program, managers are easy to get along with, good culture.

Cons

There has been a company merge recently and things are changing so fast its hard to keep up. The advisors main focus is to sale and get as many leads as possible which only pays a very small commission. You can have the best customer service and really make a difference in a client's life and your manager's main concern will be if you got a lead out of the call. The good news is that its hard to get fired and even though they are sales focused it not a "high pressure" sales job...yet.

"Investment Advisor"

Current Employee - Investment Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Investment Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing company but still has a small company feel

Cons

Because it is growing it has become a bit more sellsy in nature.

"Imperfect"

Former Employee - Advisor Center in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Advisor Center in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Financial Engines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

State of the art technology. Very employee centric. Industry leader. Work/life balance

Cons

Group-think. Weak middle mgmt. Robotic practices.Using the right process is more important than the right outcome.

Advice to Management

It's hard to understand why so many managers are hypersensitive to risk even on minor issues. Compensation levels are not bad but not off the charts such that managers are so fearful of losing their jobs? Mgmt could encourage and support a more entrepreneurial spirit particularly given FNGN limited product menu.

"Ambitious goals with genuine concern for their customer (and employees), but lacking long-term follow through"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits and culture at FE are great - plus, the perks of the headquarters being located in Silicon Valley flows to other offices (e.g. - free snacks!). Fellow employees are kind and hard working, and the customer is truly the #1 focus. I can go to work knowing that I am helping to make a genuine difference in the lives of our clients.

Cons

Each department seems to operate in its own "silo" with a lack of information sharing across other parts of the organization, and instances where appropriate team(s) may not be included. (There are even times where teams within the same department don't know what each other are doing.) The lack of follow through on ideas and initiatives is also frustrating.

Advice to Management

There are great ideas and initiatives, but there seems to be a lot of talk and not a lot of action at the end of the day. New ideas and goals are quickly forgotten, and those that come to fruition lack any kind of long-term follow through - it's always about the next "big thing" within the company.

"Learning to Fly"

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time

Pros

Great company with great products and an awesome mission - "Help employees achieve retirement goals"!

Cons

Company is learning how to move ahead after acquisition of another company last year! Lots of changes in progress that is causing a distraction of focus and priorities.

Advice to Management

Before making impactful decisions understand the current capacity issues.

6. "Politicial Engines"

I worked at Financial Engines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PTO Plan, 401K plan is good, WFH (twice a week)

Cons

A lot of office politics.. stay away from this place if you can. Especially after hiring engineers from 1 same company outside FE.
    Cloud strategy is failing.. back biting

"Politics"

Current Employee - Management in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Management in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Second to none PTO plan, decent benefits, and some great people are still left.

Cons

Major game playing. You will only be promoted if you know the right person, play the right game, and kiss the right butt. They talk the talk, but don't walk it Since Mutual Fund Store was acquired by Financial Engines - it has really been a mess. No structured integration, former Mutual Fund Store employees getting blatantly screwed on salary and bonus, and leadership is not leading. You cannot pay folks 30% more and triple the bonus for the same position in another location!
    It is back biting, competitive, and the only way to be promoted or grow is to be "in" with a very small, select group. I cannot advise enough against this company.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk. You talk about values and vision and what we should all be doing but, you don't yourselves do any of those things. Rarely in my career have I seen such nastiness at mid-level management and above. It's like the engagement surveys didn't happen - you didn't do anything with that data! My advice is to listen and at least pretend you care about your people - and not just the Advisors. Without us, you will fail. And so will the Advisors. John and Larry - I hope you realize what you're doing and make some changes.

8. "Great benefits, not so good management"

Current Employee - Service Delivery Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time

Pros

Great benefits, pto, personal laptop/station, company gifts, drinks/break room area, great mission

Cons

legacy system issues, micromanaging in my department other departments may be different

Advice to Management

working from home should not be that big of an issue. in this day with cloud capabilities and the fact that employees are assigned a personal laptop, working from home should not bother anyone. Micro managing is not good for anyone.

"Lots of changes and not much effect"

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and competitive salary. Work/life relationship is pretty balanced.

Cons

Should allow works to work from home more often.

"Supportive colleagues and great work/life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Great work environment and work life balance/flexibility. I was able to provide feedback to improve processes and take initiative on projects and ideas that were interesting to me. Management listens to employees.

Cons

Initiatives often aren't followed through on before management changes direction.