FinancialForce Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
FinancialForce Chief Executive Officer and President Tod Nielsen
Tod Nielsen

Pros
  • Work-life balance is amazing given we (in 12 reviews)

• The company is growing fast but rather than just adding numbers they're keeping the quality of the people high (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • With the rapid growth there have been a few growing pains but this is to be expected (in 21 reviews)

• FinancialForce's rapid growth inhibited our ability to hire the right people for key positions (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Literally - best place to work"

Current Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at FinancialForce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As someone who has had their choice of 'top' employers, coming to FF was the best decision of my career.
     - If you're in sales, the ability to make tons of $$ is there. Evidenced by our quota attainment % (3 out of 5 on my team in excess of 100%). Team currently WELL over our YTD this FY. While other software companies are flooding streets with reps, FF has been very calculating in trying to have their reps earn top dollar while not sacrificing customer coverage.
     - We're crushing the competition. That's FUN to do. Where other companies or teams are scraping for wins, it's not always easy but honestly happens with relative regularity. Result of a stellar solution and excellent team to support it.
     - Leadership that cares. Too many examples to name, but there is a culture here of caring about their employees' growth, ambitions, needs almost on top of performance. Very unique in today's environment
     - Career opportunities - Look at our growth. The opportunities of advancement are unrivaled. I've been here 1.5 years and in my tenure have seen employees at various levels jump a few rungs on the ladder. This will only continue.
     - Work with "A" players. I get requests from former colleagues regularly to come on board. We'll work only with performers, but also team players that can help mentor and help others' success.
     - Teamwork - I thought I worked with ancillary teams well in other companies, but there always felt that you had to "sell" internally to get things done. Here, your forecast or team calls are primarily to get executives and other teams to help you serve your clients better vs. drill you for lack of coverage in your accounts. Gem of a culture.

At the end of the day, you want to enjoy the people you work for and be rewarded for it. I do think we're building something special here at FF. As with anything, not sure how long this will last but it's literally only getting better. Leadership is very deliberate about ensuring this continues and does not get corrupted.

Cons

This company still feels like a startup, which can be good/bad. There aren't always the most established process in place so you may have to figure it out, or ask a few people to get the answer.

May not have an office in your area, and if not, must be okay with and have the discipline to work remotely.

If you don't love what you do, be it in services, support or sales, or if you're more concerned about yourself vs. the broader team, this probably isn't the place for you.

6 months ago I'd say onboarding but it's getting much more structured and improved drastically.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, listening to customers and employees and accommodating where you can.

"Great place to make a difference"

I have been working at FinancialForce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Openness to new ideas and innovation
    * Freedom to tackle problems and fix them
    * Open, flat org structure - you can talk to anyone, any time

Cons

* Little structure - it's not a large company with mature processes (but this is an opportunity to advise and implement structure!)
    * Buildings and facilities are not optimal - you'll scramble to find good whiteboards
    * Our European colleagues don't always embrace the Silicon Valley culture (but hey, most of the world doesn't, either)

Advice to Management

Get us good working spaces that help us work instead of merely look clean or pretty
    Be clearer about direction and strategy; just be transparent so we can work together

"Struggling Company - Struggling Employees"

I have been working at FinancialForce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Some of the team members are incredible, and really trying to hold onto a lost culture
    - Product continues to get stronger; changes to how the product teams are oriented around business is a plus
    - New head of Employee Success who seems to be trying to add process, but only time will tell

Cons

- Changes in the infrastructure have made for a company that is not very people oriented or people friendly
    - There are teams of people who are treated like second class citizens
    - Customer success seems to be driven not by making a customer successful, but making sure that the customer does not attrit
    - Far more silos and barriers to working collaboratively than ever before
    - New CEO seems to want to make a mark on the company by changing a lot, but communications to the grass roots level are non-existent
    - Sales team continues to sell things that the product does not do; so partners and the internal implementation teams are left holding the bag
    - Career advancement is non-existent unless you threaten to leave (example, Employee Success business partner telling a team member that in order for them to get a raise they would have to quit, and see if FF comes back with a counter offer).
    - Salaries are not in alignment with competition; and we don't do much to look to build and retain solid team members

Advice to Management

Build a bridge out to team members. Provide an open and safe forum for employees to talk about their concerns with Employee Success and/or the CEO without threat of losing a job. Work to effectively communicate to middle managers who are killing themselves trying to please customers and employees but without information or support. take some time to actually set and document a strategic vision for departments that don't have it, and show employees what their role in this, and how they help to define who we are - it is not alright just to speak with it. Have Product work directly with Professional Services on roadmap items to really hit in on what the customers need. Stop the defensive commentary on FF reviews via Glassdoor. They come off as defensive versus seeking to help better the situation, and are not attractive to people who are seeking new employment.

"Pressure cooker environment. Caution to any future sales or account executive, another Oracle in the making."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at FinancialForce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

a job, if you absolutely need one in a hurry provided you're able to snag one here.

Cons

See review title plus false earning potential

"Proceed with Caution"

I have been working at FinancialForce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting technology space.
    Some really terrific individual contributors trying to do the right thing

Cons

Gave this place 5 stars when I joined, but it's been downhill over the last year. Company Culture is focused on $ over all else. Lack of professionalism inside of some management teams; sales has a clique atmosphere. No sense of teamwork left. There's a big gap between management and staff. The product is native to Salesforce, but that's about it. No other real value proposition.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees are saying and actively address your leadership problems head on

"Disappointed"

I have been working at FinancialForce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive base salary, benefits including health insurance and flexible work arrangements, depending on individuals manager.

Cons

Poor KPI expectation setting with employees. Lack of senior leadership collaboration leading to poor communication, inefficiencies, lack of trust between colleagues and team members. . No clear investment in employee engagement, training or development outside of sales. Seems that has stalled. Lack of focus of morale improvement or culture/values. Toxic culture bred by behavior of current Executive Management

Advice to Management

Disempowering intelligent employees and marginalising customers will not sustain survival or success in an organization where business practice and culture are critical to long term partnerships. The attrition numbers in and of themselves speak volumes to the failure of the company in integrating strategy with success.

FinancialForce Response

May 31, 2017 – SVP HR

FinancialForce continue to get recognized around the world as one of the great places to work, Tod rolled out his corporate vision, values and actions (goals) for the year at our last all hands ... More

"Hoping the new leadership can save this company; several fatal flaws holding them back"

Former Employee - Sales Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in San Francisco, CA

I worked at FinancialForce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Board Of Directors is forward thinking enough to "try" to change the fate of FinancialForce by changing out the top execs (my guess is that they are not done)
    Former execs were good guys, built a passionate culture and a solid vision
    Good success in small and medium size businesses (less than 1000-1500 employees)
    Have done a couple of 'large' deals in the enterprise

Cons

Tiny addressable market limited to the SFDC customer base (particularly in the enterprise)
    Enterprise momentum is almost non-existent outside of a couple of large customers
    Operational inefficiency is crushing and effects revenue, overall employee production, momentum, morale, sales deals, etc.
    Products (w/ exception of PSA) are raw, disconnected and have a LONG way to go to be considered a true ERP
    Large deals are not easily "repeatable"...as they are solving for a very unique set of scenarios that exist in only a handful of very large organizations
    Field relationship with SFDC is often an inhibitor to getting deals done - causes significant heartburn for sales

Advice to Management

Identify with what the true upside for a company like FinancialForce really is and focus on the market that you can truly impact...small businesses. Continuing to pour money into the enterprise is a losing proposition, particularly when you have to compete for dollars with SFDC (not to mention the real ERP vendors and other competitors). Race to a scenario in which your products are natively integrated. Not having this greatly diminishes the value of a SaaS solution on SFDC platform. In this respect, you are no different than the Oracle, SAP, etc.

"Moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FinancialForce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid new senior leadership - CEO, CMO, Head of HR. Lots of super positive investment to scale for growth. Alignment with Salesforce is of huge value.

Cons

Still overcoming the change from the old guard and past mistakes. Lots of things done right to get the company to this point but need retool to get us to that next level. Unfortunately there is still a number of longer term employees that resist this change and are not happy with it. Product development is next area that needs some real innovation.

Advice to Management

Over communicate with employees. invest in Product Management and Marketing. Keep goals realistic.

"Listen to your employees........PLEASE!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FinancialForce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hardworking, intelligent and fun colleagues
    Good benefits
    Free snacks and drinks

Cons

Very poor senior leadership. They don't listen to their employees and they are so slow to take action/make decisions. We've been waiting for over a year for HR to roll out a performance review and salary increase process. When?????
    Mediocre product with lots of issues
    The Marketing team plays "mean" in the sandbox with our competitor. It makes us look desperate. Find a more professional way to market our product without bashing others.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees...please! The rebuttal comment from the female senior executive here on Glassdoor is a perfect example of how the leaders in this company do not listen to their employees. Her response reinforces the hierarchical-we know best-behavior at the leadership level...that they don't really care about their employees and discount our opinions and perceptions with their own. Stop and listen. Some of us might actually know what's going on here!

FinancialForce Response

May 15, 2017 – SVP HR

As always you are welcome to your opinion and I am pleased to respond with my perspective. this past week Tod Nielsen our CEO who has been here since January, Debbie Ashton our Head of Products and ... More

"Not the same company it once was"

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at FinancialForce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company continues to grow. Product struggles in many markets. Salaries are okay, as the company has to compete with talent from more exciting new companies.

Cons

Each North American office's moral and culture has deteriorated in the last year. Senior Management either doesn't notice or care, but it is obvious. Many 3+ year employees who once went the extra mile are now just doing what is asked of them and no more. Just take a look at the Glassdoor reviews. FinancialForce used to have 4.8 rating and now is barely able to maintain in the mid 3's.

Advice to Management

Sad when sales leaders have to ask newer employees to write good Glassdoor reviews to combat the real negative ones. Why not start really caring about employees instead of the lip service Sr. Management gives?.