FindHotel Reviews

4.4
FindHotel CEO Oz Har Adir
Oz Har Adir
  1. COVID-19

"I like it here, a lot :)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam

I have been working at FindHotel full-time

Pros

Maybe the best thing about FindHotel is extreme transparency. A lot of companies take pride in this value but FindHotel takes it to a new level. People may find this intimidating, especially when starting to work here, but overall it leads to a great outcome and performance by the company. Other than that: - People are great and the social aspect is awesome. A bit hard with Covid-19 but still great - You get to learn a lot, not only about hotel booking, but how to perform. - When possible (non-corona times) there are many events and get together. - It's really fast-moving

Cons

- For some people, it can be intense as there's a constant push to deliver results. It should be the case in my opinion but can make you tired sometimes. - There's no second chance for the first impression.

2. "Amazing people, great workplace!"

Current Employee - H R Operations Manager in Amsterdam

I have been working at FindHotel full-time for less than a year

Pros

FindHotel is by far the best company I have worked for so far. From the very first time I stepped in the office for my interview I felt welcome, I had a sense of belonging because of the friendly people emanating positive energy and sharing smiles. The company culture is great, cosy, open and international. Everyone is working hard to deliver results, they're helping each other succeed, they have each other's back at work and not only. As workplace, you cannot hope for anything better! From cake to celebrate a birthday to a fabulous 80's party to celebrate milestones, the company is going above and beyond to have fun. Besides this, having over 20 different cultures makes it even more interesting with everyone learning from their differences and sharing so many things about their cultures. I also see an outstanding care for the employees and their well-being coming from leadership and to me it creates a safe work environment that many other small or big companies should nourish.

Cons

So far so good. Overall there is this mindset of continuous learning and improvement and this will prevent any 'issue' because people will turn it around and take the learning from it.

"Micromanagement from CEO"

1.0
    Former Employee - Product in Amsterdam

I worked at FindHotel full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good work life balance / good vacation policy - The team is really nice and really fun. Most people come from abroad so they create a nice environment to hang out and adapt to the country. - Nice place to learn for 1-2 years.

Cons

- Low salaries. They are able to do it as they bring employees from abroad, but once in NL if you compare with any other companies you can get much better salary. - The CEO is bit obsessive. He likes to tell people what and how to do your work, even if he doesn't have experience in a specific area. I think the only ones he leaves alone are the developers. - CEO also tends to change his mind quite a lot and blame issues on the employees. I've have seen him yell a quite a few people, and creates a environment where people don't want to speak up. - Company is small and has not grown much so growth opportunities are limited. Because of the above points there is a lot of turnover, usually people move on after 1 year.

FindHotel Response

January 10, 2020CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your time at FindHotel. To tackle some of the points you bring up:Growing FindHotel from scratch to a product serving +150k customers a month without external funding meant that part of our leadership team has grown from within and knows every product detail inside out, which we think is a competitive advantage rather than a sign of weakness. Nonetheless, as leadership we need to carefully consider any type of feedback we share and the way we share, and if this came across as micromanagement then we should do better in the future. As we are scaling we set an internal goal to evolve our leadership, myself included, from working in to working on the company in 2020, and are underway of achieving that with three accomplished product and engineering leaders that have joined in the past six months. We have already made significant changes in our modus operandi giving teams more space for their own ideation, prioritisation and execution while holding them accountable for the results. Saying that the company has not grown much is a mis representation of the facts. In the past 12 months alone we have grown from 35 FTE to 54 FTE which is 55\% growth, and almost all of it in product and engineering. Moreover, we are planning to grow even faster in 2020, creating many growth opportunities for exceptional contributors. I may be a passionate leader who cares greatly about the success of the product and the company, but it has never come on the expense of the well-being of any team member whom we support at the work and outside of it and strive to provide a safe, creative and highly collaborative environment with the goal of making FindHotel a great place to work at.Saying that our salaries are low is not in line with surveys we make, the fact salaries are frequently upgraded in positive performance reviews and ignores the fact that every employee enjoys significant upside from our share appreciation rights structure, great lunches, many team events and other nice perks. As a result of the above our voluntary attrition is very low and 40\% of our current team have been with us for two years or more. Regarding the hiring from abroad: we are proud of our ability to hire excellent people from all over the world, yet more than half of our Amsterdam team were hired locally.Our people are our strongest asset and we do everything for each individual member to succeed in the organisation as well as help all our departing members to retire gracefully and find a new role in another organisation, and I believe we have done the same with you too.I wish you success wherever you turn and hope that when you look back at our months together you can find more positive than negative moments to reflect back on. Oz

"Growth oriented. Amazing people. Great company culture."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam

I worked at FindHotel full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The best thing about FindHotel is its team. People in the company are extremely supportive and and would go out of the their way to help you. - Performance matters. There is recognition for the work you do, and there's flexibility to exercise different approaches to any business problem. The brainstorming sessions are quite productive. - In my personal experience, the CEO and management has been very kind and professional. - Various trips and parties to celebrate company milestones are fun and motivating.

Cons

In my experience, none at all. I had to leave because of some unavoidable circumstances in my home country; else would have loved to be a part of the company and create more positive impact for the business.

Continue reading

"Amazing people, impressive expertise, great culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Amsterdam

I worked at FindHotel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The knowledge and the expertise is impressive across all the teams; each and every employee sincerely embodies the company mission, trustfully share its values and constantly does a terrific job to make them real, focusing on the customer as it's final goal. There is a continuous effort to raise the bar and, as a software engineer, delivering results for this company has been an incredibly rewarding experience. The feeling of ownership and the immediate impact of your work makes the engineering challenges very appealing. The engineering culture encourage the knowledge sharing in many ways and the opportunities to "own something" are huge. The company culture is a first class citizen, embracing, constantly improving with countless initiatives to share good time.

Cons

Sometimes keeping the focus was not so easy but the company is aware of that and it's getting better and better

"Brilliant people, great culture and constantly improving. Interesting engineering challenges with lot of ownership"

Former Employee - Data and Backend Engineer in Amsterdam

I worked at FindHotel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Positive, safe and caring work environment where anyone can speak out and feel heard. Great international colleagues: smart, open-minded and fun but also very serious about their job. The leadership will make everything they can to help you grow in a position where you are fulfilled and can bring your best to the company while having a good time. Lot of transparency, trust, freedom and ownership. The company is permanently looking for feedback, ideas and ways to improve in order to strive towards excellence.

Cons

As a scale-up evolving on a highly competitive market and with a team composed of people really into their craft, the emphasis is too much on work, overlooking the fun part and social interactions between teams and colleagues. The leadership is now well aware of that and trying hard to change it. Can get too hectic sometimes, with too much responsibility and work ending up on the shoulders of a few people.

"Fun environment, opportunities to grow both yourself and the company"

Former Employee - Head of Product in Amsterdam

I worked at FindHotel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

FindHotel is an ideal place to learn or develop in almost any role. The scale and scope of the problems you get to work on every day are rare for such a small team, and you'll have plenty of chances to grow. The leadership of the company are truly motivated to build a meaningful company that can have an impact on the world of travel, and while they are sometimes quite risk averse they aspire each day to great things. They have a really fun working environment - the lunches and craft beer tap are the best in Amsterdam, there are annual company trips; and there's constant team activities, either in your team or for the whole company.

Cons

The company is still making the difficult transition from what was basically a marketing company into a company with a truly world-class product. Too often what is marketable wins over what would be good for the customer, and customers are treated still too much as "clicks" into the product. I am sure this will change as the company has made a big push on this subject in 2018. Currently the company are quite bad at making decisions. Even quite small and reversible decisions are often debated. The company should follow the mantra of being data informed rather than data driven, and accept that quite often any decision is better than no decision.

Continue reading

"Performance, transparency and fun"

I have been working at FindHotel full-time

Pros

Fast growing company. Extremely transparent. Even in the "not-so-good" moments, it was always clear for everyone where the company stand and what it means for the team Super talented people. Lots of great colleagues to work and learn with. Fun environment: besides the regular perks such as a pool table, craft beer on-tap and yearly company trips, we do have a fun time while working Great culture for exapts: since good part of us are from out of the Netherlands, the company becomes not more only a place to work but also some kind of family : ) Trust & responsibility culture Bruno - our office dog :)

Cons

There used to be a frequent change of focus/direction, but it's getting better and better as the company matures and the path looks more clear. With the growth of the company, some nice traditions are going away.

Continue reading

"A company not meant for engineers"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Amsterdam

I worked at FindHotel full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Good vacation policy - Nice work life balance. Except for a few times when there is an emergency you are not pushed to work crazy hours - A good mix of multiple nationalities which helps you to experience different perspectives - In my case I was in a good team who were very receptive and encouraging in trying out different languages or services in order to find the best fit Fresh graduates can still have a better experience here as the teams are small and you will get some hands on experience throughout the code stack. For experienced engineers there are very limited growth opportunities.

Cons

- One of the most unprofessional management teams you can come across - Lack of vision to develop a product. There are no specific benchmarks or outcomes other than maintaining or increasing revenues - A strong tendency to exploit a trend than build a product with focus on the end users. Traditionally this was and is a SEM company completely focussed on online ad campaigns. So there is no concept of retaining users which results is a product that does not care for user experience at its core - Product Owners are basically Jira ticket managers and have no clue as to how to make the product better. They are only concerned about pushing tickets to the deployment stage - Very little collaboration among teams. Everyone works in a silo and there have been some steps to rectify this but hardly any feedback is taken into consideration. - An overwhelming tendency to use off the shelf services, even for the smallest things. Results in a solution that can neither be extended nor modified for future use cases - The CEO has neither the communication skills nor a cogent reasonable thought process to analyse problems. Neither he has the patience or humility to listen to someone trying to get across their ideas. The only way to get along with him is to agree with everything he says - Extremely unprofessional behaviour if you ever get in a conflicting situation with the senior management. They resort to intimidation techniques as soon as they think that an employee is expendable Think very carefully if you choose to commit your future to this company, especially if you are relocating to Amsterdam.

FindHotel Response

October 3, 2018CTO

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. I am sorry that your experience with us was so disappointing. Some of the issues you mentioned are definitely points for improvement and I'll get back to those later. On the other hand, some things you say are not fair. I'll give a bit of background about your case so that readers of this review have all the facts. Relocating from overseas is always a life-changing decision and something we don't take lightly. We have the honest intention to retain the people we hire and help them succeed in Amsterdam, both professionally and personally. In your case that didn't happen, but many other engineers relocated to work for us and had a very different experience. In your case we saw worrying signs of low motivation and commitment with the team already very soon, and we shared our concerns with you promptly. I wished you would have given us some feedback about how you were really feeling earlier so that we could have tried better to make it work for you. Eventually, when I told you that we wanted to let you go (6 months after you joined), we gave you a generous severance package and we did all we could to help you find the next role. Your review title "A company not meant for engineers", and saying that only "fresh graduates" may thrive here are not fair. This company and you were not meant for each other, and that's completely fine. I know you are a skilled engineer and I am sure you'll succeed somewhere else. Just because you did not fit here does not mean that other senior engineers will not fit perfectly well. In fact, as of today we don't have any "fresh graduate" engineer working with us, and most technical leads have been with us for years (happily enough that they endured the rough patches any startup must eventually go through). Of course, expectations for senior engineers are very high and to live up to them, exceed them and eventually grow in a small startup with plenty of other experienced engineers on board is hard. When we hire someone as a senior engineer we are expecting you'll find your way to deliver a major impact in the company. Motivation and drive to make an impact are arguably the most important traits we are after when hiring senior engineers. As I see it, the role of the company leadership is to make it possible by removing obstacles and supporting you, but you need to be driver. This is something we probably were not clear enough when we hired you, and is something we are stressing now with all our new hires. Regardless of the context, I think you raised valid points of improvement: * It is true that our company is having a hard time moving from our marketing-focus history to a customer-centric product company. It's not an easy transition and we are trying to hire the right talent to speed up that process. However, being strong in online marketing is an absolute prerequisite to become a (profitable) global player in the travel industry. * Also true that collaboration across teams can and should be improved. Already when you were with us we took measures such as a regular architecture review session where all teams expose their architecture and future plans to the feedback/criticism of other teams. We are also promoting much more actively the movement of engineers across teams, consolidating the tech stack, and therefore increasing the ability for all teams to touch each other's codebases. * The fact that an experienced and skilled engineer like yourself didn't succeed here is also our failure. We have taken measures to increase the focus of our recruitment process on cultural fit and to give candidates a very clear idea of what it means to work with us. Thank you again not only for your review but also for the work you did while you were with us. Best, German CTO, FindHotel

"International forward-thinking Agile Team"

4.0
    Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Amsterdam

I worked at FindHotel full-time for more than a year

Pros

- International team - Extremely knowledgeable management: some of the most well informed people in the industry - Great office culture, daily lunch, fun events, trips and vrijmibo. - Vacation days policy FindHotel is a place to gain and share experience, sharpen your skills, enjoy working in the travel industry and have a lot of fun while doing that. I worked there for 25 months having some of the best days in my professional career.

Cons

- No HR personnel - Workplace loneliness sometimes - Periods of lack of focus

Found 18 reviews