Fine Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dan Fine

1. "A people centric organization"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fine Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I came onboard late last year and have experienced nothing but concern for my well-being and the success of our clients. Strong emphasis on team building and training to ensure we have the capabilities and backup to be rock stars in front of the clients.

The company invests heavily in programs like Arbinger Institute to promote an "outward" mindset. Seems to be working.

Most folks work remotely and control their schedule as long as we're delivering to the client's expectations. This is great for consultants that don't care for the road warrior lifestyle.

Cons

Fine Solutions is in the midst of refining the organization's roles and responsibilities so we're all involved in defining how we evolve as we continue to add headcount. If you enjoy the excitement of growing pains this would be a good fit, but if you require more clarity and certainty in your job this would be more challenging.

2. "Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Consultant in Burien, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Burien, WA

I have been working at Fine Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work remotely, great management team, highly skilled and terrific co-workers without the usual office politics. Nice compensation package

Cons

Required weekend company retreats bi-annually (I'm all for the retreats - but weekends are tough), peaks and valleys in work which means you may be totally slammed for a few months and then dead, since some compensation is billable work driven, it makes it hard to budget (although this is pretty typical of consulting firms).

3. "Implementation consulting and support for Mrcrosoft Dynamics ERP applications."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Fine Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a nice size and friendly, family type of atmosphere. Dan Fine as a business owner does a great job of establishing personal connection with all employees and has genuine concern for each on a personal and professional level.

Cons

There seemed to be above average turnover in the consulting ranks which often created a mismatch between client needs and the capabilities and availability of consulting resources. There were some questionable hires in the consulting group as well as in the management team.

Advice to Management

Focus on execution. Figure out how to attract and retain talent. Invest in your people to position for success.

"A family feel, but the drive and passion of a well managed firm"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Fine Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Travel is limited, but the opportunity to work on some great clients is there. The employees are the best part. The team is strong and I love the values of each member. Everyone works hard and is smart. It's also exciting to work on the latest technology from Microsoft.

Cons

There is too much work and not enough daylight or staff. The problem is that Fine won't hire just anyone, so for the staff, there is too much work to do. Also, sales should be a little more selective and try to focus on cream of the crop clients. There are a few clients that are not realistic with their implementations, just a few. Most of the clients are good.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on recruiting great employees. As can be seen from some of the past reviews, the company was desperate and hired employees that were less than qualified. Go get more top talent.

"Great employer, great team"

Current Employee - Manager in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Fine Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Highly collaborative environment where all members are focused on success. Issues are always taken seriously and resolved. No door is shut and conversation is always welcome. Remote work is balanced and encouraged while maintaining collaborative atmosphere. Friendly staff with good, light-hearted attitudes and serious work ethic. A very pleasant and result-driven team with a focus on customer satisfaction.

Cons

Remote work can develop a feeling of distance from collaborative atmostphere. Balance is necessary. Growth creates needs at a fast rate, but from my perspective, the team does well to keep up, though it can be jumbled.

"Worst job of my life"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Lynnwood, WA

Pros

Can work remotely & client variety

Cons

During my short tenure at Fine I witnessed extreme turnover reaching 200% in just a year's time. It was very common to see new people come and go within just a few months. Payroll delays were common and a few times only the base salary (a professional's minimum wage if you will) could be paid. Clients were frequently unhappy because new ERP implementations were underbid. A common conflict of interest was employees were pulled off client engagements once billing ceased regardless of the outcome of the job. New people joining the firm were frequently thrown the clients that were pissed off and would pay no more. That created an endless pattern of upset clients and upset consultants often resulting in clients and employees leaving the firm.

"Great collaborative management team, tremendous focus on customer success"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Highly open and collaborative work environment. Senior management core values aligned with customer success and employee satisfaction, particularly in terms of work/life balance.

Cons

Growth challenges are typical for a Microsoft partner of its size.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on aligning short term execution goals and priorities with medium-term strategic vision for growth, customer success, and elevating customer relationship to a trusted-advisor status.

"Poorly managed regional VAR"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Lynnwood, WA

Pros

Client travel limited to region; travel % is less than industry average; work from home; lots of independence; colleagues are friendly; possibility (yet rare) of earning better than average compensation if you are lucky enough to hit 90+% utilization rates without exceeding client budget.

Cons

High turnover in staff; CEO's senior management members also are short lived; numerous occasions when company had severe cash flow difficulties and could not pay employees; commissions are often delayed; no details provided with commission checks; "realized" commissions are very low; high percentage of non-paid work because client budgets are frequently exceeded; lack of systems and shared knowledge base; very low base salary; poor benefits; terrible management

Advice to Management

CEO needs to wake up and stop living his dream world. While forward-looking, he fails to see his business for what it is. Employee morale was at a low in 2009, but he failed to address this problem. Dan Fine is a great marketer, but is too high level for a small company. He MUST get involved in the operations, instead of focusing most of his time on sales and marketing. He has very good ideas, but fails to execute.

The compensation plan is horribly inequitable and below market value. Even the headhunters have mentioned their comp plan is a joke and no other VAR does what they do. Don't trust the commission plan! Ask for a market-value salary plus smaller performance-based bonus instead. Most employees end up being one-year consultants once they give up on the theoretical plan.

"Strong Microsoft VAR with growth potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

management comittment to work life balance, setting no limits on potential upside performance and rewards, core values. Great for self-motivated and stong individual performers.

Cons

Limited maturity and experience to scale the business profitably. Lack of focus and comittment on strategic path and values. Inconsistent quality of services delivery.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the key drivers for profitable growth. Continue to attract and retain the best talent with a focus on long term comittment.

10. "Genuine people, genuine workplace"

I have been working at Fine Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone is truly invested in each other's well being and forward momentum, and that's not just their colleagues--that goes for external relationships, too. I've heard the phrase "trusted adviser" many times from the perspective of clients regarding their view of employees. I've also heard it internally as my colleagues always work toward the ideal of being extraordinary every day. It's an energizing and challenging environment that allows me to grow professionally as I wish to, not as management ordains. We listen to each other while understanding that there are many paths to a common goal.

Cons

The last sentence of the 'Pros' area sums it up. With many experienced voices, the challenge is taking time to come together and develop an evolving path forward while balancing critical client work and the health of operations. This can lead to organizational shifts that are uncomfortable at times, but are really just growing pains. Keeping the focus on positive yet abstract models like Strength Finder and Arbinger keep us aligned in our 'how's, but the struggle is defining the 'what's with so many intelligent and capable voices.

Advice to Management

FOCUS AS A TEAM. Identify core management (those who actually steer the ship), get a cadence around connection time, and allow them to make large decisions as a team. It's possible to roll decisions out in an inclusive manner, hearing voices and making adjustments if needed. But progress is slowing due to the idiom "too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth." We're not in danger of spoiling, but we could move faster with agility.