Finished Basement Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Patrick Condon

1. "Challenging Environment to Keep You Moving in a Forward Direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

The experience working here is truly what you make of it. It pushes your boundaries so you're constantly bettering yourself, which betters the company. The people are great and genuine, and I enjoy spending my work hours with them. The work hours can be difficult, but the team knows and encourages the balance of being able to come in later to keep a healthy work/personal life.

Cons

Management isn't always easy to get a hold of. It feels sometimes like an individual journey but again, it's up to you to create your path there.

Advice to Management

Check in's with the production team seem to be lacking and there could be very valuable information on company/team improvement and improve personal morale.

Feb 20, 2017 – Coordinator of Amazing People

Thank you for your feedback! We love to challenge people to be their best self every day. We’re glad you feel we provide a flexible and fun work environment as well, empowering our team is what FBC ... More

2. "Ok Company to Get Career Going"

I have been working at Finished Basement Company full-time

Pros

Very liberal PTO policy. Fast-paced and fun environment. People there are fun to work with.

Cons

Can be confusing trying to figure out what employee expectations are from management.

Feb 20, 2017 – Coordinator of Amazing People

Thank you for your feedback. We are so glad you enjoy our unlimited PTO policy and the time you spend with co-workers. We hire people with the goal that they will be our FBC family (clients too ... More

"Project Manager Nightmare"

I worked at Finished Basement Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do a great job of hiring like minded people.

Cons

No/not enough good trades for a PM to have success. The good trades they do get leave within a few months due to various reasons, mostly getting the short end of $$$. They are asked to do extra work for free. PMs should Prepare to do work on All of your jobs. I went through 3 full rounds of complete PM changes, that is over 20 PMs in under two years.

Advice to Management

Listen to the advice of the people who you designate as leaders or else the roller coaster will just keep loading up for another ride.

Jan 16, 2017 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Minnesota production team. As mentioned previously, the MN production team is in the process of undergoing significant leadership and ... More

"Terrible for Project Managers"

I worked at Finished Basement Company full-time

Pros

They can create amazing designs on paper.

Cons

Significant turn over in the PM area makes this place a nightmare and the owners place all the blame on the project managers (at least 10 in my time there) and the trades.

nickel and diming of the trades leads to high turn over there as well and discourages any new trades from wanting to come on board.

Owners are completely out of touch with what the Project managers need to be successful.

PMs are told that they aren't allowed to do any work yet if things cant get done they are punished for that as well.

Overloaded with projects PMs should not plan on having a life outside of the company and that sentiment is repeated by management to their PMs

Preach a credo that they then ignore.

Feb 20, 2017 – Coordinator of Amazing People

We appreciate your feedback. While your number of hires isn't accurate, we hear you and the frustration you experienced! The leadership team at FBC has committed all resources to improving our ... More

6. "Not for everyone"

Pros

Great company to work for if you like to be challenged constantly. It is very satisfying to be able to manage your own schedule and clients with the exception of some "coaching" from upper management. Great incentive to sell projects.

Cons

Designer position is mostly a sales position. Management is pushy about sales. Base salary is not enough for the hard work and time you put in. Management expects you to keep a very heavy work load and for you to bring work home to keep up.

Advice to Management

Make your employees happy. Pay them what they are worth and stop taking advantage of salaried employees.

Oct 17, 2016 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for your feedback concerning the independence and compensation paid to the designers. While the revenue for our company begins with a sold design, our designers are definitely more than ... More

"Project Manager"

I worked at Finished Basement Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Minneapolis team is capable of producing impressive designs on paper. The location of this office is centrally located in the Twin Cities metro area. The copy machine is fairly new and reliable.

Cons

The turnover rate is beyond comprehension. Weekly meetings are necessary to determine who departed and who is the new employee(s) of the week. Even the most seasoned project managers have and will fail under complete disorganization and narcissistic leadership.

Many current and previous staff members have voiced concerns, asked for help, and pleaded for a manageable work weeks only to be told the problem is in the mirror. If you are young, single, have no social life, you might be able to tolerate employment here for a few months.

Trade partner turnover is just as bad. The bottom line - All members of the production team are treated as expendable objects.

Upper manegement takes responsibility for all successes and ignites the staff with blame in the face of any adversity.

Advice to Management

Consider and reflect on all the great employees that have left only to become great hires for other companies. Not because of what they learned at Finished Basement Company, but because of what they have learned doesn't work in a professional team environment.

Nov 1, 2016 – Hiring Manager

As mentioned in previous GlassDoor responses, the project management team in MN has undergone a significant overhaul to provide improved customer service to FBC homeowners, an improved employee ... More

"Project manager"

I worked at Finished Basement Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Turning your phone off on the weekends.

Cons

This place is a nightmare. I was at FBC for under 2 years and saw 11 project managers quit. This is basically a cult for the simple minded who think "well it's not that bad" it is that bad. I left in September along with 5 other employees. The systems they created and use set you up for failure, but they will throw you under the bus you aren't looking. If you don't mind working 13 hour days, and doing 3 other people's jobs, this is for you. Also don't let the high rating fool you. They constantly push and push and push for people to submit here during meetings and emphasize how they are trying to win awards. At the end of the day,I'm seriously looking out for anyone wanting to be a project manager. This isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Instead of asking the team to explain why the company is having so many problems, look in the mirror. You're so removed from reality you think you think your "off site retreats" solve something? How about you step away, go meditate in a field and worry about something else while you hire actual competent individuals to run the company.

Oct 10, 2016 – Coordinator of Amazing People

Finished Basement Company definitely encourages its employees to submit reviews on GlassDoor. With 3 thriving markets and almost 70 total employees, FBC believes its appropriate to give current and ... More

"Minneapolis office is terrible"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

There are some awesome people working here.

Cons

High turnover in Minneapolis on the production side. If you are looking to get into construction management and you're looking here, RUN! You'll most likely be brought on as an "Assistant Project manager", paid an assistant PM's salary, where you'll put out fires until someone ahead of you quits. You'll then take over for the PM who quit -still at an assistant PM salary, where you'll proceed to be whipped like a rented mule until you finally wise up and quit. I saw that cycle repeat several times in my tenure there - and I was there for less than a year.

Advice to Management

Patrick - You're alright
    Matt - delegate authority alongside responsibility. Or the Minneapolis office will collapse under it's own growth

Oct 4, 2016 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review even after no longer working with FBC. FBC fully acknowledges that there is a huge reorganization within its Minnesota production department ... More

"Enjoy What you Do"

Current Employee - Interior Designer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Interior Designer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Finished Basement Company full-time

Pros

I truly look forward coming into work everyday. Not only do I get to do what I love, but the environment in the office is always enjoyable. Everyone has one another's backs, and you always feel supported. It is inevitable in this industry to not have times where you feel overwhelmed in the busier season, but you have an entire team of people offering to help you along the way.

One of the major benefits is that the management team is always inspiring you to be greater and more successful. They give you the freedom and flexibility to grow, and allow you to take the initiative. They are always available to talk and help coach you in a way that is not "do this or do that." Instead, they give you the tools to help you grow as professional in your own unique way.

Lastly, You are given control! This is awesome in the design industry to have full control of your projects. From space planning, to cabinet layouts, to finishes, you can bring all the pieces together. You can really be creative and design to your full potential!

Cons

Not necessarily a con but advice to an outside prospect:
    To work here you have to be willing to take some initiative and be more of a "go getter."
    You have to be okay with not being told what to do and how to do it all the time.

Advice to Management

I appreciate how we have expanded our leadership team and taken greater initiative on "experience sharing" through our process. I have seen tremendous growth just within myself by being able to spend more time talking through obstacles with our leaders, and it is nice to have them available! Our leaders are crucial components to what is going to grow our team, it was a good implantation!

Oct 4, 2016 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for your review! Your description of the culture of the company is very helpful to current and potential candidates. We agree and hope that everyone's work experience is not only to ... More

11. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Management in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Project Management in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Finished Basement Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The MPS office is not only creative in their designs but also in problem solving in return you have a work place that is productive and enjoyable. FBC is a family that I am proud to be apart of!!

Cons

I can safely say, the only con is the amount of driving that is required but, this is something that will be adjusted with time.

Advice to Management

I think management does a great job of helping, guiding, and supporting the whole team. The only piece of advice I have is to always stay open to new ideas.

Oct 4, 2016 – Hiring Manager

We love that Finished Basement Company's Glass Door reviews really do provide prospective and current employees with a snapshot of the culture and responsibilities of the company. The company ... More