Finished Basement Company Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Patrick Condon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Leader"

I have been working at Finished Basement Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the culture! The team is amazing and always will to help anyone. There is so much empowerment to move things forward at any level within the company.

Cons

Keep moving things forward. Training is key

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Things are moving forward at lightening speed!

2. "Design Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Finished Basement Company full-time

Pros

This place is beyond welcoming! Everyone is so nice and focused, I felt at home on day 1. The FBC fam is just amazing. The work environment is the best I have experienced.

Cons

None. Days fly by and the team is so great

Advice to Management

I love everything about management, thank you so much for allowing me to be a part of this family

Oct 4, 2017 – Coordinator of Amazing People

Thank you so much for reviewing us. We’re so happy you are enjoying your employment with FBC. Our goal is definitely to make our new employees feel like they are part of the team from the start. We... More

"Current and future employees, you are expendable"

Pros

Like others have said before, FBC employs some really great people. The PTO seems good, but when you end up working 60 hours a week consistently, it doesn't really matter.

Cons

Overpriced. Poorly Run. Passive aggressive leadership who fluctuates from one extreme to the next. Here are a few things I have witnessed first hand:

1. Management making fun of design work while the designer sat right across from them.

2. A designer being berated for not being a team player because they called out clearly sloppy work on job in front of a homeowner.

3. Wild mood swings from the owner, varying from total lack of awareness to in your face "coaching".

4. Weekly employee firings and/or people leaving on their own accord. Honest feedback given to management is clearly seen as a threat when followed up with blatant retaliation. Lack of attention to this by the owner allows the viscous cycle to continue. The dialogue within the team generally revolves around "who's next"?

Advice to Management

Stay the course and you will continue to shrink in a booming economy. (Not that advice is ever taken to heart given the justifications and twists that are rampant in the employers response). Your ideal perfection is a unattainable. People aren't perfect. Neither are you. You have turned into a self righteous dictatorship and frankly, you are better than that.

"Designer"

Pros

The design work is fun and it's amazing to see your projects being built from beginning to end. FBC employees some really cool people some of which I will be friends with regardless of working there. Time off policy is very liberal.

Cons

Death by meetings. Meetings to prepare for other meetings. Unrealistic deadlines for work to be accomplished. Owner is irresponsible with money and the employees have to suffer because of it. Unprofessional at times. Project managers are over loaded and stop caring. Employee turn around is very high.

Advice to Management

Figure out what works and stick to it! Less meetings and more time to get work done and make the client happy.

Aug 24, 2017 – Coordinator of Amazing People

Thank you for your assessment of the pros in working for the company – the company does hire amazing employees and they do produce great results for our homeowners. And as a team, they collaborate a... More

"Professional"

I worked at Finished Basement Company full-time

Pros

Great projects offered to clients

Cons

Lack of clear leadership
    Very indecisive
    Much too emotional, they expect you to cry at every turn yet they won't hesitate to cut you amidst all the crying
    Very awkward atmosphere

Advice to Management

Learn how to properly run a business

Jul 12, 2017 – Coordinator of Amazing People

Thank you for your feedback. The leadership team is, in fact, open, vulnerable and fully honest about their strengths and weaknesses. There’s no pretending here because we rely on each other to... More

"Fool's Gold"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Finished Basement Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like to work long hours for minimum pay then this company is for you. If you enjoy lots and lots of meetings that prevent you from being in the field then this company is for you. If you like inexperienced upper management then this company is for you.

Cons

They preach how the company culture is great. But over the years more and more great employees have or are soon leaving this toxic enviroment.

Advice to Management

Ownerership tells employees they are revolutionizing the industry. When in fact they only change things up each year that didn't even need fixed. Your up COAP "What ever that positon is". Good luck trying to spin the truth.

Jun 14, 2017 – Hiring Manager

Finished Basement Company provides opportunities for our ambitious and growing team -- so yes, we grow our leaders from within the company. While inexperienced, the leaders of this team reflect... More

"Management Invests in people, great place to work"

I have been working at Finished Basement Company full-time

Pros

Working at Finished basement company has been amazing so far. Management truly cares about their employees and works hard to build them into the best professionals they can be. It's also a great environment being around such smart and dedicated people every day.

Cons

It's been a great experience so far, I don't have any blaring cons to date. Everyone here is very determined, so I could see people who are not very self motivated fall behind in this environment.

Advice to Management

Thanks for doing what you do! I feel like you value your employees and that makes a huge difference in how we view our work.

Apr 13, 2017 – Coordinator of Amazing People

Thank you for giving us your feedback. The leadership at FBC truly does care about the employees because you make us who we are! We are happy you've chosen us to build your career with and we will... More

8. "Amazing Culture!"

I have been working at Finished Basement Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture! Everyone really does care about each other and support each other. We are a team! I've had my fair share of different work environments, and this company really feels like family to me. Everyday is different and challenging and it makes it exciting! You feel motivated everyday because everyone around you is has the same energy. I can honestly say that I've never cared about a company I work for as much as I care about FBC!

Cons

It can get stressful at times, but what work environment doesn't have stress.

Apr 13, 2017 – Coordinator of Amazing People

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We strive to have an incredible culture where our employees can feel empowered and positive on a daily basis. We're very glad you feel we are... More

9. "Ok Company to Get Career Going"

I have been working at Finished Basement Company full-time

Pros

Very liberal PTO policy. Fast-paced and fun environment. People there are fun to work with.

Cons

Can be confusing trying to figure out what employee expectations are from management.

Feb 20, 2017 – Coordinator of Amazing People

Thank you for your feedback. We are so glad you enjoy our unlimited PTO policy and the time you spend with co-workers. We hire people with the goal that they will be our FBC family (clients too... More

"Project Manager Nightmare"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Finished Basement Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do a great job of hiring like minded people.

Cons

No/not enough good trades for a PM to have success. The good trades they do get leave within a few months due to various reasons, mostly getting the short end of $$$. They are asked to do extra work for free. PMs should Prepare to do work on All of your jobs. I went through 3 full rounds of complete PM changes, that is over 20 PMs in under two years.

Advice to Management

Listen to the advice of the people who you designate as leaders or else the roller coaster will just keep loading up for another ride.

Jan 16, 2017 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Minnesota production team. As mentioned previously, the MN production team is in the process of undergoing significant leadership and... More