Finnegan Henderson Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Douglas B. Henderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Patent Prosecution Administrator"

Current Employee - Patent Prosecution Administrator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Patent Prosecution Administrator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Finnegan Henderson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Talent is nurtured. Growth is encouraged. Hard work is rewarded. Flexibility is granted. Employees are highly compensated. No real complaints.

Cons

Sometimes work volume can be overwhelming. Difficult personalities (there is always at least one) are sometimes not checked as soon as they should be.

Advice to Management

Nip bad behavior in the bud.

2. "Admin"

I have been working at Finnegan Henderson full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Very stable income.

Cons

Not very many food options in the area.

3. "A giant law firm with morale problems."

Pros

Excellent benefits and pay. Tuition reimbursement program. Training classes offered regularly.

Cons

Low morale; lack of participation by Partners; staff & attorneys are very divided, definitely a hierarchy that is still in effect. Surface relationships, a lot of distrust. Leadership usually has a hidden agenda.

Advice to Management

Take the time to listen to employees and make efforts to raise morale in genuine & sincere ways...value your loyal employees. A knowledge and praise for great work, provide regular and honest feedback rather than wait until review time to drop a negative review.

"I'm so glad I left"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at Finnegan Henderson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in a Regional Office. It was a great place to work when I started and as an IT I really had little supervision and could get the work done. As in previous reviews I worked during the "golden years".

Cons

The last year I was there (actually 2011), they did not give raises nor have they since. No incentive if there are no raises and bonuses were small. Support staff now has to bill all their hours and they have a timesheet system that is automated, but it's just like clocking in to work. If you are a minute late and do not make up that minute, it will be docked from your PTO or pay.

Advice to Management

Management (HR) was too staff heavy - not necessary. The Administrator at the time, had issues that I was friendly to all and had no problem going directly to Managing Partner.

"Finnegan"

I have been working at Finnegan Henderson full-time

Pros

relaxed culture, good benefits, good location

Cons

hard to work from home if not an attorney

6. "IT Specialist"

I worked at Finnegan Henderson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I did not work in DC at headquarters, but in a Regional office. The management and staff at this office was great to work with, and understanding within reason. They gave time off when needed for family reasons with no questions asked. Bonuses were lacking, staff moral sure went down over the years I was there, but that was mainly due to limitations set from the top, not from the people running the Regional office.

Cons

Not easy to move up in your career, most of the staff in the IT dept wont leave.

Advice to Management

Keep your support staff happy if you want to keep your attorneys happy. We know they bill and make the money, but if the staff supporting them are not rewarded fairly..dont expect to keep good people around.

"You're a number and a slave unless you're a lawyer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Finnegan Henderson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not retail or food service
    Benefits start first day of hire
    People in the cafe are nice
    Free gym

Cons

Management does not listen to staff concerns. They will placate you with answers then nothing will come from them toward solutions. Some staff managers would bully and intimidate employees with the worst of them informimg staff that they were not to ask questions, only to obey. I have heard some staff called stupid and one was told they were not educated enough to be trained. They were told by their own manager that they were a waste of time. There was one employee who was written up b/c the boss' best friend lied about said employee in an attempt to get them fired. This was not contested or investigatged by HR. HR will basically tell you to sit down, shut up and do your job and not complain about anything, no matter how badly you're being treated. Not an environment which makes you want to do your best work. That manager is now gone but that employee is still dealing with repurcusions in the form of witholding raises. That manager damaged the Docketing department for two years with nonsense policies which were constantly changing. Two years gone and the department is still struggling to regain it's footing.

During the recent remodel, all staff were shoved down into the run down basement which does not have enough room or facilities to accomodate the number of employees while our previously comfortable space was turned into barely used high tech conference rooms. I have seen them used maybe 5 times in the last year yet we're close to fire code limitations in our new space. Those 60 and 70 inch flat screens sure look nice though. Wonder how many raises could have been given with that.

Appliences break in staff pantry (break room) and take months to fix. An attorney says his chair is uncomfortable and it's changed immediately.

Decrease in amount for raises, no cost of living adjustments. You have to receive an Outstanding review to receive a 2% raise. Barely any holiday bonus for staff but yet we are pressured to donate to the firm's favorite charities and reminded to "be grateful we have a job"

Work load for staff is greatly disproportionate and management obviously plays favorites when handing it out.

I am currently doing the work of 5 previous positions with no discussion of hiring anyone to assist. I have had no pay raise and no position change. I have had to work overtime more often than not to complete deadlines. I am chastised for overtime, yet chastised if work is not completed.

There was a sense of family and a great morale when I started 7 years ago. That is completely gone now. Staff morale is at an all time low according to employees that have been here 20+ years. Secretaries from what they call the "Finnegan Golden Years" are shaking their heads and wondering what has happened. IF they're not being pushed out b/c according to new management they're being paid too much and are unnecessary.

New managing partners care only about the bottom line and do not see benefit in boosting morale and working with employees. It's increasingly feeling like a sweat shop if you are staff.

Pay is regularly miscalculated. I have had to place over 20 calls in my time here for pay adjustments due to error.

Avoid at all costs unless you're a lawyer. I hear they get great bonuses and perks while the staff they rely on have to have roommates in their 40's to pay rent.

Advice to Management

Recognize that without staff, good staff, with morale, you wouldnt be where you are. Finnegan became #1 for a reason. Stop trying to change to be like other firms. If your'e number one, why change to be more like the lesser ranking firms? What was working, was working very well until you decided to let people in who care more about the bottom dollar than the people that make the firm function in a way that lead it to the top ranking firm in the first place. Morale is scientifically linked to higer performance. It's vital if you want emplyees to care about the place for more than a paycheck. Allow employees the careepr paths they were promised upon hire rather than ignoring them when over 7 years have passed and they have still not been given the same changes given to others who came before them.

"Some pros & cons"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Finnegan Henderson (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great employee incentives, especially pertaining to wellness activities.
    Holiday celebrations.
    Depending on your position, department, & manager, your work time may be slightly flexible, if HR approves it.
    On site fitness center.
    Lots of opportunity to participate in charity events if you'd like.

Cons

Micro managing, Very little communication between management & staff.
    New renovations caused everyone to sit very close together, no personal space.
    No distinction between vacation & sick time.
    Always feeling like you are being watched.
    Stuffy environment, not so friendly attorneys.

Advice to Management

Increase communication between upper management & staff.
    Allow staff to provide input & rate managers, the same way managers rate staff yearly.
    Use surveys to take into account staff opinions on important decisions.
    Less micromanaging & more activities to get Attorneys to interact with staff. Communication feels extremely segregated by title.
    More diversity training is needed for everyone, including Attorneys.

9. "OK"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Finnegan Henderson (More than a year)

Pros

Cross department collaboration
    Free food/lunches/staff appreciation
    Tuition reimbursement

Cons

Not enough on the job training

"Hated It"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Washington, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Washington, MD

I worked at Finnegan Henderson (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay and health benefits.

Cons

Little to no respect and appreciation for employees. Hostile work environment in some departments. Management isn't interested in addressing it.

Advice to Management

Get a life, some morals, and try remotely living up to the glowing things you say about the company on your website.