Fire Mountain Gems and Beads Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Vern Frol

1. "E-Services Representative"

Pros

Regular full-time schedule, insurance, 401k, regular employee appreciation days.

Cons

Few opportunities to advance within the same department, extensive wardrobe restrictions, no windows in the building, regular unnecessary meetings, strict time card policy.

2. "HR Specialist/Assistant"

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist/Assistant in Grants Pass, OR
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist/Assistant in Grants Pass, OR

I worked at Fire Mountain Gems and Beads full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the larger employers in the area so the benefits package is a bit better than most.

Cons

Not enough qualified talent on the senior leadership team.

Advice to Management

none

"Losing good people"

I have been working at Fire Mountain Gems and Beads full-time

Pros

Benefits are pretty good, and the people who work here are all great.

Cons

Slow to change, technology is behind the times. Departments ran by the owner's relatives seem pointless and mismanaged. Definitely not paying people what they are worth. I've seen a lot of talented people leave and be replaced by internal hires who don't really know what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible, update everything, and give everyone raises.

5. "A Bad Taste in Your Mouth"

Pros

Health Insurance is about it. I guess employee safety might be one other thing.

Cons

Where to start. Micro managing is a big problem, so is consistency. You have one department say they aren't able to change something due to a limitation in the systems, then you ask another department and they are more then able to do it for you. My manager constantly sweeps pretty major things under the rug. The only thing I can figure is to hide how poorly the department is ran. The only time HR knows about anything is when they are away and the supervisors are forced to bring it to their attention. They used to let know you were appreciated, now the employee appreciation days feel more like a *sigh* "do we have to" in the hopes moral will improve. It's going to take more than a slice of pizza to get me to love my job again. The other thing that is pretty petty is in certain departments, if you don't have enough PTO for your entire vacation, say your a day short, they will let you have it off but you have to call in on the last day since it's "technically not a PTO day". That is total BS in my book! They know where you are at, and I know other departments don't do it. The other thing is raises. Yes, they are unheard of unless you are higher up, in fact the only raises that happens on a constant basis is a raise in your blood pressure. My advice to people is if you want to be a drone and have no say and feel like you are constantly the dirt that holds up the mighty fire mountain, be my guest.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, a lot of times they have some really good ideas about how to improve things. Also be honest with us, we can take it. If a program has been removed or a position is no longer available please don't give us false hope. Just tell us straight up. Lastly if you say you are going to do something, then do it! Don't constantly push it off because you don't think it's important to you, because it might be someones lively hood you are messing with.

6. "Terrible,way too many chiefs,not enough Indians.Micro managed just sad."

Pros

Really none, I will say their warehouse and facility is clean and equipment is state of the art, but I guess with all that expense leads to low wages.

Cons

A ridiculous amount of chiefs not enough Indians. Fear and intimidation tactics. I've never seen so many unhappy employees or morel.. All I can say is what comes around goes around. Does anyone have a personality anymore??? Oh wait u work at fmg?

Advice to Management

Owners need to uproot all current management and start fresh if they want to succeed,

"Owners seem like nice people and there are several chiefs but no real leader you want to follow."

Pros

Discounts on product for those making jewelry gifts. Hasn't been layoffs until this year.

Cons

Told to work hard so more people aren't let go. Motivating by fear isn't good. Family members working here are an issue.

"Not a good company to work for."

Pros

No pros other than it's a paycheck.

Cons

Terrible micro managers and very controlling.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and take their input seriously.

"Interesting."

I worked at Fire Mountain Gems and Beads full-time

Pros

Great coworkers, they are like family.
    Decent benefits.

Cons

Ownership is uninterested in keeping current and only wants to do what benefits them.
    Pay is ridiculously low, and raises are a bad word. Raises only happen if you're promoted, which isn't even an option in many positions.
    Much of management consists of friends and family, regardless of whether they're actually qualified or good at the position.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, many are highly educated, very well versed in their job field, and are an asset to your company you're not tapping. Compensate your employees adequately.

10. "Great Atmosphere, great family feel."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grants Pass, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grants Pass, OR

I worked at Fire Mountain Gems and Beads full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional people, great atmosphere, tons of employee perks (too many to list), and solid benefits package including PTO, Health/Vision/Dental, 401(k).

Cons

Upper management seems to want more of a hand in the middle-workings of everything. It makes it difficult to respond to industry norms in a timely fashion.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to initiate and/or test quick changes and ideas freely. Take out the "We've been doing it like this for a long time" aspect and move forward - or get left behind.

"Company has done best to keep Employees happy and whole."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grants Pass, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grants Pass, OR

I have been working at Fire Mountain Gems and Beads full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employee appreciation days monthly, Employee picnics, Holiday Party, Free Holiday Gift, Gift Card for Thanksgiving, Matching 401K, Generous paid time off after the first 90 days and goes up every year there after, Full Paid Health benefits, Seed Fund to help struggling employees, Monthly company buys every department lunch, Company paid for training if requested, Extra paid days for holidays and other programs like company pays 80% of costco membership fee's. I can not believe the reviews I have read on this site. It is obvious these people have not worked for any credible company before this. Sad to see a company like this get rated lowely by people who have been let go or didn't get everything their way. Fire Mountain is a good company if you are a professional who is willing to work hard and put some effort forward.

Cons

Pay increases are unkown until they happen. Hours in some departments are directly effected by order volume. Many entry level jobs, have to work hard to move up. Some departments have management who have many tasks and not much time for the one on one that is sometimes needed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Work is hard and during a economic down time like we are seeing, any company that cares about it's employees have to make tough decisions. Keep remembering that a happy employee makes a happy customer. It can sometimes look like people get special treatment and if you aren't proactive about these concerns they can build up until non-truths become truths to people. Spread out your project approval process so that more people can approve things and keep the ball rolling. You have done an amazing job starting your company in a garage then having it become what it is today, so keep up whatever you have done to get here and I hope I am along for the ride.