FireHost Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Chris Drake

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "High performance company with high expectations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Pros

Armor has a passionate group of smart people who work hard. The company is growing fast and there is continual change to align with the market. The CEO really cares about the employees and it shows in Armor's policies and benefits. Overall, I enjoy my coworkers, respect my management, and feel empowered to do my job.

Cons

The constant change is sometimes hard to keep up with, but I realize that any company growing this fast will have some amount of chaos. There have been some major changes in senior leadership in the last year.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable for their results.

"Director"

I worked at FireHost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good marketing, internal culture presented as alive and well.

Cons

Toxic environment, strange politics inside of the company where things really all tie back to the CEO and his preferences. Chris Drake is the company's best asset and worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Pick a strategy and focus.Terrible execution, which probably stems from trying to do too many things at once. Start listening to the customer and deliver exactly what they want. Need to respect your sellers more, there is a weird unfounded idea that marketing is responsible for Armor's success.

"FireHost has a Good CEO"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at FireHost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Drake is a great leader, period. Someone below said that he has an ego. What leader of a highly successful company doesn't have a little bit of an ego? He at least knows how to control it. He's worked his butt of to hire the best security and marketing professionals out there.

The same person that was talking about Drake's ego also said Sales are down because PPC doesn't work in the enterprise market and that the compliance test didn't work. How wrong can you be? They are not doing well with paid search because the paid search person left to start his own agency. It had nothing to do with FireHost going up-market. You said that AWS and Fireeye don't spend on paid search as proof that you knew what you were talking about. Wrong. I have personally talked to both AWS (a current client of mine) and FireEye (a company that I personally interviewed with) and both have plans to double their SEM budget in 2015-2016. Why? Because FireHost did so well with the channel.

FireHost is a well-oiled machine that secures some of the largest enterprise applications. Their security staff are 10x more knowledgeable than their competitors. They did make a change back to their founder – which in my honest option was the best thing they did since selling secure cloud hosting.

The Drake clan hand-picked the old Marketing and Sales team, and he knows how to keep good employees. The reason these employees left was because the board put in a new CEO that brought in a ton of people from Rackspace. These people thought they needed to change everything at FireHost to take them from where they were to this magical place. The only problem was that the old staff was doing all of the correct things, and they were already on the right track, thanks to K. Drake and her team. We all know what happened next. My point is that Drake is a good leader and some of the comments below are completely misguided. If I was in the shoes of someone thinking about working at FireHost, I would take the job, keep my head down, and do good work. They will take care of those the produce. Don't pass them up because of a few bad apples that were hired by a temporary misguided change in leadership caused by the Board of Directors. This is a good company.

Money was good to great, career advancement was good, work life balance was incredible, and the company was above average with their culture and values.

Healthcare was very good. I think I had a $1000 family deductible. I'm serious. I had a baby and my manager lets me work from home for three weeks. My kids three months later gets sick and they let me have another week off. My dad gets cancer treatment and they let me work a couple weeks from Florida.

C'MON MAN This is a great company to work for. Faith (I should have had more of it.), Family, and FireHost.

Cons

Have they had issues in the past, sure. I didn't even leave on good terms, but there are a ton of reasons to work at FireHost. If someone that left on bad terms is telling you that the company is great, you should probably check them out and give them a shot.

Advice to Management

Great job with the new FireHost!

Oct 30, 2015 – Founder and CEO

Thank you for the kind review and thoughts on your time at FireHost. You'd love the new Armor so stop by sometime.

4. "Incredible Company(and perhaps misunderstood)"

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at FireHost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible People! Armor invests alot of money and alot of effort into its culture. We advertise "catered lunch" on the job description. We don't advertise "finally have a job that i can say i love" because it takes up too much space!!! The people you work with are amazingly talented and are full of character. We're at the forefront of technology and moving fast. If you're not learning something new, you're probably not paying attention. I've been here less than a year, but have found my place and look forward to a long and rewarding career with the company.

Cons

VERY intimidating at first. There a super strong culture here. You're either going to love it you're not going to last very long. Its not brutal like Amazon, but its definitely not for everyone. If you are a fit for the culture, enjoy, because your special :) - training and documentation need a serious overhaul. Although support training is existent, unprepared trainers and pressure to finish the classes and get back to work can ruin the value. I'm trying to contribute to documentation, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Advice to Management

perhaps a position for a person that can twist the documentation repository into a more useful and user friendly tool. Contributing in free time is hard when you become preoccupied. Having someone focused on that aspect would increase its quality. Clearer career paths may also increase performance and drive. other than that, keep doing what you're doing.

Sep 29, 2015 – Founder and CEO

"Perhaps misunderstood" made me smile and I will be the first to admit that we have a very unique organization and culture. I look forward to our teams improving our training and documentation while... More

"Changes, but good changes, mostly."

Current Employee - Customer Support in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Richardson, TX

I have been working at FireHost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy my job here, I've been given plenty of opportunity to grow with the company, I believe this is the case for anyone willing and wanting to step up.

Cons

Communication here can be very bad, our email is typically spam with very little useful content. Managers are similarly badly informed. We have no idea who new people are walking through the office because we're not even getting new hire emails anymore. We need volumes more in the way of documentation, both internally and customer-facing, our KB needs desperate help.

Advice to Management

Please Management, share more with your Employees, we'll all greatly appreciate it, and will go a long ways to make us all feel more invested in the company.

Sep 14, 2015 – Founder and CEO

Fantastic feedback and many of these items are inflight to improve and others have been added to get right. Glad you are here and trusting in Armor with your career.

"Will miss this place"

Former Employee - Engineering in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering in Richardson, TX

I worked at FireHost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Faith, Family, FireHost (now Armor). The team working at the Dallas HQ was without a doubt the best group of technical experts I've had the pleasure of working with through my 15 year career. Talent in the offices was never afraid to hear that someone else had a better idea and change direction. CEO and Executive-Layer were easily approachable, great listeners. Hiring like MAD but very picky about who they bring on.

Cons

Work was tough, company changed direction quickly but handled it much better than you'd expect. Great team, pulled together when times got tough.

Advice to Management

Slow down... You have GREAT current products and what you are building in coming releases is very exciting. Work on scope creep, you need to be able to tie a 1.0 product to a clear path, then you can work on 1.1 enhancements once you finish the first version.

Sep 8, 2015 – Founder and CEO

Appreciate the great feedback and comments. We will make sure to manage scope creep and get early iterations tight before going further. Feel free to reach out to me anytime if you have any... More

"Refreshing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Pros

Live it - breathe it - so refreshing to have a company not just post values on a wall but embrace those values every minute of every day. No bureaucracy here - people work together and really try to provide solutions and take accountability. If you want to work here be ready to be empowered.

Cons

Can't find any yet - well, maybe the Dallas traffic :) Can't wait until 75 is finished!

Sep 4, 2015 – Founder and CEO

Happy to hear you enjoy being here and we're happy to have you.

"Doesn't deliver the service they promise"

I worked at FireHost full-time

Pros

Great people

Friendly atmosphere

Nice office

Free lunches every day

Cons

The company benefits got worse every year I was there.

There are not enough employees in key areas, and most are not well trained. "Learn as you go" isn't a good philosophy for a security company that really cares.

The company has ethics issues in that they aren't delivering the service they claim to (mainly from a security perspective). The web site and what they actually do have little in common in some key areas.

Upper management lost their way some time ago. I'm not sure they care about the product they are creating anymore. If a new offering increases the bottom line, even if it doesn't work, it stays a product now. Pathetic.

Advice to Management

Get your people training or you will lose your customers.

Hold upper management accountable when they just plain lie, or just get our of the company before they, and you, end up with a bad reputation. The marketing they do and reality have little in common with each other.

Sep 4, 2015 – Founder and CEO

Thank you for your note and I assure you our company benefits increases in cost every where by a decent amount. We invest more in benefits per heroes than any company I know.

On the security front... More

"Interesting Work Culture"

I have been working at FireHost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, love interacting.

Cons

Apprehensive to bring people on

Sep 4, 2015 – Founder and CEO

You nailed one of our cons perfectly and it's purposeful. We have no issues with failing fast and getting rid of talent that wasn't a fit culturally and/or technically as soon as possible. Over the... More

"Company has lost it's way and has Founder-itis"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Richardson, TX

I worked at FireHost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible group of employees who work hard and play hard together.

Cons

Loss of recent senior and reverting back to Founder and original non-operating experience executives with no Board support has this company going backwards in so many ways. The company value of leave your Ego at the door is a farce as the Founder and CEO has an ego that transcends reality and business experience, his ego is the issue from back office to front office.

Advice to Management

Sell the company or allow experienced executives to manage and not try to return to 2013 management team as that market you thrived in with PPC spend is over, so says AWS and even Fireeye if you think you can move to Security alone, the Compliance play was a bomb and impacted growth, key contributors who have since left and most importantly mission/purpose of company.

Sep 14, 2015 – Founder and CEO

Glassdoor removed my previous (and longer) response but the high-level is that the decisions that were made months ago were very needed and understand why you'd be frustrated to not be on our journey... More