Fireman's Fund Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Fireman's Fund Insurance Reviews

Updated May 11, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Company focused on work-life balance, put employees first (in 26 reviews)

• Larger company, good benefits including 401k match (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • I experienced upper management to be very protective of their positions (in 15 reviews)

• The longest term staff managed to survive by hunkering down and avoiding the revolving door of management initiatives (in 7 reviews)

"A dysfunctional company that is dying on the vine."

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Once one of the major insurance carriers, after numerous changes in management over the past decade, this company doesn't know where it is going. With Allianz sucking what is good about the Fund into it's grasp, there might be some hope left.

Cons

Management from Novato has little grasp of what the insurance market is really like. From their bubble in Northern California, it is hard for them to understand what the competitors are doing or what it is like in the trenches. No real opportunities for growth.

Advice to Management

Set upon a course of strategy and stick to it. Get management out of California and to Chicago or New York.

"Great company gone bad"

Former Employee - Claims and Risk Services in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Claims and Risk Services in Orlando, FL

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work up until about 2007.

Cons

When the business struggled, waves of incompetent leaders with no business sense decided to blame the employees for their failings. A hostile culture was created with meaningless propaganda and slogans as a distraction while the company went into a death spiral.

Advice to Management

If you were in senior leadership between 2007 and 2013 you are personally responsible for the death of this company. Employees looking for new work would be well advised to avoid the companies that where you have sought refuge.

"Auto adjuster"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Work life balances, ease of getting time off, some great co worker's

Cons

Lack of communication, some of the supervisors are very unprofessional, they totally ignore the contract ie. policy the insured signed all to make a complaining customer happy. They basically give away the entire ship

Advice to Management

Yes NPS is important however the agent is not our only customer, they will not move the insured to another carrier just because we stuck with the policy. I understand some exceptions but we pay way too many claims that should not be covered and the payout on some is ridiculous all just to keep an agent happy. Listen to your employees many of them know what they are talking about, we deal with customers first hand you all just come in when one can't get their way.

"Sad memorial to failed leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Novato, CA

Pros

Well-intentioned people working very hard.Trying to overcome 25 years of stagnation of business practices (yeah, they did a Cobol compiler UPGRADE last year...). Very generous benefits. Nice campus.

Cons

23 years of not being terribly efficient, effective, nor innovative have taken their toll. The longest term staff managed to survive by hunkering down and avoiding the revolving door of management initiatives. The parent company is now done pounding sand down the proverbial rat-hole, so significant downsizing to cheaper, mid-west sites is on the horizon.

Advice to Management

Bit late for that, no?

"2 of the best yet worst years of my long career"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President & Uw Manager Coml Programs in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees at the branches. Many were long term, very committed, life long partners in some cases. The FFIC name was always impressive up until 5 years ago.

Cons

Mind numbing constant reorganizations within Commercial Insurance.
    The death of Specialty Div, Interstate
    Specialty UW's and UW Mgrs reporting to ridiculous Commercial Lines UW Execs who never focused on the right things such as writing more profitable business but instead enjoyed commanding too many to count all UW Mgr meetings that accomplised nothing...NOTHING...

Advice to Management

Too late and wouldn't ever do any good anyway. They tried to pretend they were listening to front line people but they didn't, they couldn't, they were puppets for the horrid Allianz who even practically forced a ransom of 1 billion dollars paid to Allianz from poor FFIC coffers. Sad and such an embarrassment overall.

"Glad I'm no longer there. Good luck to those who are waiting to lose their jobs."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time

Pros

Job was satisfying the first few years. Benefits were great. Many talented, hard-working employees who wanted to do the right thing for the company. Heritage Program was awesome. Cafeteria was convenient. Campus was pretty. A few true leaders kept me hopeful even when I should have run far away years ago.

Cons

Too many bullies in all levels of the organization. Too much collaboration in a bad way - 100 people had to review a single document before it could be finalized. Many people wanted to do the "right" thing for their careers, not the future of the company. A lot of money and time was wasted on projects that didn't have fully-vetted business requirements. Review process had nothing to with hard work and talent. HR didn't support employees when it really would have been the right thing to do. There was minimal professional development and career growth. Way too many, unproductive meetings. Oh, did I mention the bullies?

Advice to Management

I think most of FFIC officers have left the building. They should have listened to the worker bees - we knew what was and wasn't working and maybe we could have saved the company. I can recommend a few books for you to read on leadership and developing a strong, healthy, productive corporate culture. Here's a hint... you have to listen to your employees and empower them to make decisions.

8. "Hoping for the best through acquisition"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

benefits, career path, supportive management

Cons

Pending sale of company and loss of brand. Some negative reviews on this site from former employees are jaded and speak to lack of performance.

Advice to Management

Are we in this together?

"What happened?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Fireman's Fund Insurance (More than 10 years)

Pros

Time off was more than generous, some of the people were great. I have nothing more positive to say so this is just to fill up the 20 word minimum.

Cons

Management had their heads up their butts. As an employee we were constantly being set up to fail with unrealistic goals that even the x-men couldn't pull off. But it was a win-win for the company, they got more work out of everyone still standing, got rid of the poor slaves that couldn't meet the goals, and all without having to hand out any decent raises, if anyone got one at all (remember those "goals" I mentioned?).

Advice to Management

It's too late now, dummies. While I was down in the engine room stoking the fire you idiots ran right into the iceberg, what kinda perk's gonna fix that? By the way, I already know you're gonna label me "disgruntled", don't bother, I enjoyed my years at the fund no hard feelings, I'm just callin' it like I see it.

"FFIC review"

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Novato, CA

Pros

Good vacation, work life balace

Cons

Company reorg, may need to relocate in 2015

"Years of mismanagement have finally caught up"

Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Novato, CA

I have been working at Fireman's Fund Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location, work hours are minimal

Cons

Large organizational transition pending, job outlook is poor