KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Firespring

Engaged Employer

Firespring

Add a Review

Firespring Employee Reviews about "firespring"

Updated Sep 14, 2021

Found 14 of over 56 reviews

3.9
Firespring CEO, Founder Jay Wilkinson (no image)
Jay Wilkinson

Publicis Health

16 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The organization has a great culture, and really loves their employees.(in 13 reviews)
  • "The people and culture are amazing.(in 7 reviews)
Cons
  • "Pay may not be as high as others, benefits are lacking, but they are a growing business.(in 5 reviews)
  • "below average pay, high expectations w/o incentive(in 4 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "firespring"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

My Firespring Experience

Mar 9, 2021 - Business Development Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Describing my Firespring work experience in one word, I can say that it has been a "BLESSED" experience. I have had the opportunity to acquire new skills, grow personally and professionally. Most importantly, work with a beautiful group of people to help businesses and nonprofits survive COVID and continue impacting their communities. This job has already taught me so much about myself than I knew a few months ago. A key part of my job entails me stepping in the shoes of businesses and nonprofits to see things from their perspective(that has allowed me to improve my empathy toward others).

Cons

We sometimes seem to have too many processes at Firespring. This is good for our partners and clients because it ensures the quality of the solutions we output as a company. But from an employee standpoint, this sometimes reduces the speed of getting a task done. Part of this is the transition that we had to make from an in-person to working remotely. As the mantra goes at Firespring, "Find the better way." And we are working on finding the better and most effective ways to deliver as we adapt and evolve.

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

All Fire No Spring

Sep 14, 2021 - Creative in Lincoln, NE
    Business Outlook

Pros

People tend to be friendly and welcoming, especially to newcomers. Lots of opportunities to take part in the workplace culture. All in all, it's a fine place to start a career if you're fresh out of school/new to the industry.

Cons

They really put the "fire" in Firespring by consistently hiring and firing employees in large chunks. When they do fire an individual, both the process of doing so and the level of professionalism shown throughout will vary greatly. Leadership does a poor job of recognizing the needs of their teams, processes and operations leave a lot to be desired, and, in general, you can prepare to be overworked and under-compensated. Unless, of course, you're able to make your way into the small clique of employees they'll bend over backwards for—then, you're set for life. Projects are often estimated too low which leads to confusion and extra work for internal teams as well as hard conversations about budgets with clients. You'll notice the distinct cliques the more time you spend employed there. Although none will necessarily kick you out of their lunch table Mean-Girls style, there's a definite ~vibe~ if you catch yourself intruding on the wrong one.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not a steady place to work

Feb 24, 2020 - Interactive Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most people were nice and I enjoyed working with my team.

Cons

I'm writing this because I want to warn anyone who is looking to work here and thinks that Firespring will be a stable job. I heard a lot about Firespring before working there and thought it might be a nice place to work. Once I started, I quickly realized that a lot of their rhetoric in the marketplace is fluff. They are constantly having meetings to fix issues. A typical workday usually consisted of 2-3 hours of meetings that would end with the solution of another meeting scheduled. The "culture" seems ok for a few days but then it just starts to feel forced. They are constantly calling themselves family, but that's just empty words. They are very cliquey, maybe without realizing it. Because they are constantly re-working processes, I found myself second-guessing every decision I made because I wanted to be "in-process." But because there was never any concrete workflows, it would always be the wrong decision. But don't worry, there was always a meeting to talk about the correct process. The owner is out of touch, he gives the impression of caring about the community and his employees but when it comes down to it, he doesn't. There are constant layoffs. Every time they lose a big client (which is every couple of years) they lay off a lot of their talented employees. The first red flag was they told me this on my first day. A lot of their talented employees have left either due to layoffs or good foresight. They are currently hiring another wave of people though, but I wouldn't trust working here. If you do decide to work here, have a backup plan because even if you are a great employee, it probably won't last long before they lose another big client.

7 people found this review helpful
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not my cup of tea.

Oct 19, 2018 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- My direct manager was receptive to feedback and went to great lengths to ensure that we had someone to discuss issues with. - There is a pretty defined "lunch culture"; you're not expected to be at your desk 9 to 5, at least on the engineering teams. A 45 minute to hour long lunch break with co-workers was a normal occurrence. - Coming from a background without prior workplace experience in the engineering field, I was given plenty of opportunity to learn new skills, and receive beneficial feedback that helped me improve as an engineer. - Solid IT department who were able to help with just about any problem and are easy to approach and quick to help. - Pretty solid development environment for engineers, was already built out and documented when I got there. IT provides a laptop of your desired brand (age depends on what they have in the stockroom, but it'll be able to do work for you). Two screens in addition, and whatever other little odds and ends you might need (mouse, etc.) - Never had to work crazy hours aside from a few expected days, nothing out of the blue though. - Taking time off is pretty straightforward and not frowned upon, at least on the engineering team.

Cons

- No room for vertical or horizontal growth at Firespring if you do not want to be one of the many managers there. - Very loud workplace. Engineering was placed directly across a short divider wall from the client support team, so enjoy listening to CS explain how to setup email accounts day in and day out. If you prefer a quiet workspace where you can do things without blasting music, you probably want to look elsewhere. - The engineering team has what feels like zero input at times into the projects they are working on. Cross-team communication is an important aspect to any successful business, but we were frequently overruled by managers in the customer support and marketing departments with no input into those decisions. - Firespring's core product is its custom CMS platform targeted at printers and non-profits, and yet the engineering team is one of the smallest teams at the company. - Pay is decent for the location as an engineer, but you can be paid significantly more at most all other companies in the area. Insurance was not covered by Firespring. There was no 401k matching. Lunch was catered multiple times per week when I started, by the time I left it was once a week and you paid for it out of pocket. Thats not a benefit, thats just conveniently placed food for you to buy. - Poor project management -- decisions come from all corners of the company and if you have senior management in your pocket you can put whatever you want into the task backlog, prioritized as you see fit and not as the product needs dictate. - Very public about why people were let go or terminated at the company. - Don't expect to have people paying attention in meetings. Laptops and phones abound. They're all just "taking notes" though.

8 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Former Employee

Great company with awesome culture, but lots of growing pains

Sep 18, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Firespring feels like a family. The company culture is inclusive, where employees are treated with respect. If you experience something negative, the company takes that very seriously and works with the employee to make the situation better or find a solution.

Cons

The compensation and benefits are way behind what other tech companies in Lincoln are offering. It is impossible to get a performance pay raise. Performance is measured on a quarterly basis, but even if you're a high performer, you are not likely to see that reflected in a pay raise. This forces high performers to look for jobs elsewhere and with Lincoln becoming more and more of a tech hub, those other jobs are not that hard to find. It is also very difficult to get technology upgrades, especially for those on development teams who don't have time to wait for IT to make decisions about hardware that sometimes take months to materialize. The company also went through a lot of restructuring which has made Firespring less of a place where potential high performers are going to want to work. It seemed like the last three years of my employment were spent watching the company restructure departments over and over again. The constant restructuring has affected the company culture and subsequently the perception of the company in the community.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic Company to Work For

Jan 18, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is a great culture at Firespring. The Company cares about employees and provides fun activities year-round. Flexible with schedules and time-off when needed.

Cons

Like many companies, insurance and other benefits are on the expensive side...however it is obvious the company is always seeking to improve the costs.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best place to work

Jan 18, 2017 - Front End Web Developer in Lincoln, NE
    Business Outlook

Pros

Firespring is full of wildly cool and creative people. The management keeps us on track without being overbearing, and we get super cool stuff done.

Cons

The salary is really good for the area, but maybe a bit low for the industry (at least low for the programming industry, which, admittedly, is probably a bit overpriced right now)

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 5.0

love it here

Jan 18, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've really seen Firespring grow over the last few years and it's been great to be apart of it. The company always seem to be pushing forward.

Cons

There are some growing pains but that is always the case when you bring different companies together.

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

Great people and culture

Jan 20, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Firespring offers the opportunity to do creative, exciting work with a highly competent team. The overall workplace environment is by far the most positive I have ever experienced.

Cons

As a company that stays on the cutting edge of technology, things move and change quickly. Leadership works hard tp keep everyone informed, but miscommunications occur when too much time passes between major decisions and communication to team leaders.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

There is no place like Firespring

Jan 20, 2017 -  in Lincoln, NE
    Business Outlook

Pros

Like most things in life—careers included—Firespring is what you make of it; you get out what you put in. This company has no shortage of culture and is built with a unique blend of people who genuinely care about each other, love to have fun together and love to do great things in our community.

Cons

In the grand scheme of things, there's cons anywhere at any place in any profession. We're not curing world hunger or solving world peace, we're paid for our ideas, print product and ability to make clients' lives easier, so even a "bad day" put into proper perspective is a good day. I'm fortunate to love coming to work far more often than not; I'm not sure a majority of the working population can say that.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 14 Reviews