First American Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 27, 2019

3.3
Thomas Wells IV

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent customer service and strong stance on work life balance" (in 5 reviews)

• "While they push you for sales, however, customer service is their priority" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Outstanding Organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomingdale, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomingdale, IL

I worked at First American Bank (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent customer service and strong stance on work life balance. CEO instills an ethical and intelligent approach to managing the Organization and is available to employees. Training and education is valued in providing opportunities for employee growth and success. The bank is growing and continues to be financially sound while building and maintaining long term customer relationships.

Cons

Turnover at the higher levels is low, some see this as an impediment to personal growth, I viewed this as company stability!

2. "Good Company"

I worked at First American Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kind people that are willing to help you

Cons

Dress code needs to be updated

3. "Average"

Former Employee - Banker in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Banker in Chicago, IL

I worked at First American Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good team members
    Great training department

Cons

Poor management
    Lack of sales training and lack of employee support

Advice to Management

Educate yourself and be more updated. If you want the same business as others, see what they are doing first

4. "Universal Teller"

Former Employee - Universal Teller in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Universal Teller in Chicago, IL

I worked at First American Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to build your resume in the banking/finance industry. You wear many hats in any position so you learn a lot. They're pretty good at working with you to accommodate your schedule to allow for personal matters.

Cons

Too sales driven. Customers started complaining about how they're always being harrassed for cross-selling opportunities. The managers don't understand why people aren't beating down the doors for more checking accounts or loans.

Advice to Management

Reward employees with more than just an email or recognition on a list. Everyone is there for money, so money would be the best incentive to get more sales. The quarterly goals are not always achievable and many branches do better due to their location or local customer base only.

5. "Ok Place to Work"

I worked at First American Bank full-time

Pros

First American Bank is a smaller community bank that is growing. That is a good and bad thing. They are a very stable bank which is great for job stability. Since it is a smaller company there are not as many layers of management which helps you make a name for yourself in the organization.

Cons

Even though the bank is growing and more profitable every year, they do not invest in their employees. Many departments are short staffed and that causes stress and higher turnover. The benefits need some work. It’s a high deductible plan with very high premiums. The HSA contribution is generous, but still does not make up for the high rising premiums. There is NO STD or maternity leave. This is a huge con! Invest in these things for your employees, we all know you can afford to. Many other banks do this and millennials these days are looking at that. The job market is changing and employees are looking for companies that invest in them and show appreciation for their hard work. Every year you talk about how profitable you are, yet employee perks, or lack thereof, don’t improve.

Advice to Management

Stay competitive with the market. This will help you attract talent and keep them!

6. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at First American Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I came in through the Leadership Trainee program, and immediately felt like an important member of the bank. The training was amazing, and I never felt like I couldn't ask questions. After seven months I was placed into an Operations role as a Project Manager, and after about three years I moved into HR. My team and supervisors are beyond supportive, and I have the flexibility to enjoy a great work-life balance. Compensation is fair and right in line with the market.

Cons

I do wish there were some differences in the benefits, but this is not an easy change and what we do have is a good package.

7. "Great family owned bank!"

I have been working at First American Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement if you're a hard worker. Management recognizes talent and takes care of their employees.

Cons

Communication between departments can sometimes be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Continue to reward hard working employees. Pay closer attention to those who just show up for a paycheck.

8. "First American Bank"

I have been working at First American Bank full-time

Pros

- Support from management is spectacular
    - I feel like part of a family when I am at work
    - Matching 401k
    - Employee stock ownership

Cons

- Culture is very conservative and stuffy.
    - Insurance is sort of pricey
    - Vacation time should be increased
    - No maternity/paternity leave

Advice to Management

Being more progressive with benefits and culture should be First American Bank's focus

"Great place to work"

Pros

Family owned, very stable, many opportunities for career growth.

Cons

Some of the systems need to be updated. The systems should be able to talk with each other. A lot of duplication is occurring because of this.

Advice to Management

1) What is the plan for the upcoming exit of Baby-boomers who have the years of knowledge/experience? 2) How to better work with the Millennials? The bank needs to begin thinking outside of the box with this generation.

10. "Great Growing Company"

I worked at First American Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People were general friendly and great to work with. A small bank feel but was definitely going through growing pains. They are great with advancing employees within the company and employer training was very good. Great employee retention. and always plenty of work if you wanted to work.

Cons

Company is going through growing pains. Depending on the department you were in there could be a lot of politics going on causing the general office to be dissatisfied. As most banks, movement can be very slow depending on your manager.