First American Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
First American CEO and Director Dennis J. Gilmore
Dennis J. Gilmore

Pros
  • They really strive to put employee's first and focus on work/life balance (in 32 reviews)

• great boss and work environment (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Easy to lose work/life balance because there is so much work one can do (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management cares more for money than people (in 20 reviews)

1. "Interesting work, excellent bilingual work environment"

Former Employee - International Underwriter
    Former Employee - International Underwriter

Pros

Speaking as an underwriter, the work was interesting because I was able to review legal documents from countries all over Latin America. My boss assigned us files from any and all Latin American countries, which kept work interesting, even though we may have been more productive if we had been made "specialists" on one or two countries.
    The weekly meetings on Mondays were a forum of always interesting discussion lead by our boss.
    About half of my colleagues were foreign nationals, and I really enjoyed getting to know them.

Cons

The work requires a lot of reading through huge documents, and you have to be really detail oriented and attentive in order to make sure you don't miss any important mistakes in the documents, and reading through the documents can be tedious.
    Also, I often times felt bad for our clients, who usually had to wait for very long periods of time for their policies. New documents submitted to me usually sat at my desk for about a 3 week backlog. Then on the other side the clients had to work with their local attorney's (who have their own backlogs and problems) to collect the documents that we required. The lesson here is if you want to buy land in a developing country, you had better have the patience of a saint anyway--and if the process of buying the land burned up all your patience then you probably should go without the title insurance.

Advice to Management

My only advice is to have more staff in the international division so that we could better attend to the clients.

2. "A Great Place to Work"

Pros

Benefits are excellent. If you are in the right position, it is a stable career.

Cons

Low pay, no raises for over 3 years! GRRR. Many positions are subject to layoff due to market volatility. If you are not in one of those positions, it's a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Give your "most valuable resources" a PAY INCREASE!! We're dyin' over here.

3. "Incredible place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Title Examiner in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Title Examiner in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Telecommuting, communication, and a great deal of support from the entire management team. They take care of their employees and make certain they have what they need to succeed.

Cons

I really don't have any to list. This has been the most stable and financially secure title company for which I've ever worked. They make sound decisions in the good times to help them during periods of crisis.

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you're doing. Your employees understand exactly what is expected of them and how to succeed and grow within the organization. Thank you!

5. "Great leadership, great coworkers"

I worked at First American full-time

Pros

Top notch forward thinking leadership. Since the late 1880's the company was established and still doing great things today.

Cons

Not much to say here. its is too bad that the market crashed, even though they have survived and thrived, it could have been even better had things not crashed.

"mandatory review"

Former Employee - Recordings Supervisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recordings Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at First American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It offers good compensation and benefits

Cons

The Human Resources Officer at the time of my employment was very negligent

Advice to Management

concentrate in your human resources department and management sensibility

7. "Great company to work for. Great environment. Great experience"

Former Employee - Escrow Assistant in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Escrow Assistant in Clearwater, FL

I worked at First American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They are always educating the employess, They reward the achievers

Cons

They are shutting the doors on November 15,2013

8. "Fun outgoing place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I worked at First American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun staff, friendly, easy systems

Cons

Lots of deadlines at the same time

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work! You all did a great job when I was there and I loved every second I was there.

9. "Best job I ever had! (I left due to lay offs)"

Former Employee - Title Processor/Researcher in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Title Processor/Researcher in Cleveland, OH

I worked at First American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My manager and supervisor were great. This company had wonderful benefits, and they were very understanding about time off when my child became ill. They encourage further education. They also have a telecommunication program. Someone is always willing to help you if you are stuck on a problem. You are always trained in other departments just to continue your education. They offer courses that are voluntary. Some are in the office, but some are online and take a few months to complete, but the company pays for it. This was definitely a great place to work.

Cons

There didn't seem to be much room for advancement unless you completed a degree. It could happen, but it was rare. First American does not offer any part time work.

Advice to Management

Please consider opening up part time opportunities. I wish I could come back!

10. "Excellent"

Former Employee - Escrow Assistant in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Escrow Assistant in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at First American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

teamwork, everyone is willing to give you a hand

Cons

everyday is a challenge in learning something new to better yourself in your work overall

11. "Best job I've had so far ..."

Former Employee - Title Assistant in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Title Assistant in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at First American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We were given company keys so you can make up hours if needed. You will learn a lot about title and will work in teams. They have tuition reimbursement of $2,000 annually. There is annual online training such as ethics. You will get a raise annually and jury duty is paid for. I felt management was very accessible.

Cons

We were not always kept posted if someone left the office or switched departments. Sometimes you would email someone and find out later they are not there anymore. Despite having five buildings, you will only meet the people around you. Not much synergy.