First American Reviews in Santa Rosa, CA | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
First American CEO and Director Dennis J. Gilmore
Dennis J. Gilmore

Pros
  • They really strive to put employee's first and focus on work/life balance (in 33 reviews)

• great boss and work environment (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • maintaining work life balance is a problem (in 15 reviews)

• Upper management cares more for money than people (in 21 reviews)

1. "Outbound Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Outbound Sales in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Outbound Sales in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at First American full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great company to work for, friendly people, great management. Yoou have the potential to make a lot of money if you can stay motivated.

Cons

There is a "ramp up" period, you earn base pay plus commissions but will not recieve your first comission check for months. It's pretty much just sitting at a desk and leaving voicemails, so if you cannot stay motivated to go at it hard every single day then this isn't the job for you.

Advice to Management

Consistant trainging across the board, incentive programs.

2. "Good business structure and objectives with some growth opportunity. Fun office atmosphere. Full benefits, 401K, stock."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at First American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Longstanding corporation with job stability. Many different divisions (Title/Escrow, Financial, & Home Warranty) to explore and advance in. On top of health beneifts & 401k, you can participate in the Healthy Living program and earn points. You can also earn points through job performance. Each point equates into $1 which can then be cashed out for just about anything: plane tickets, Carnival Cruises, electonics, gift cards (including Amazon, Best Buy, Home Dept). It's like a little bonus bank.

Cons

Salary is mediocre. Pay raises are near to nothing and only once a year. Advancement seems to be about who you know and already be selected, even though job postings go open to everyone to make it seem fair.

Advice to Management

They do strive to make a fun office environment and employees feel appreciated. It really would be a fully satisfying place to work at if the annual pay raises were more than what seems like chump change to this billion dollar company. The job performance review is on the right track but the %'s need to change!

3. "Authorization Supervisor"

Former Employee - Authorizations and Operations Supervisor in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Authorizations and Operations Supervisor in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at First American full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Limited growth opportunities
    Industry is behind its time
    Dead call center environment

Advice to Management

Keep looking to invest in your employees

"Plenty Room For Growth"

Current Employee - Claims Resolutions in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Resolutions in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at First American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Training, By far the most extensive training I've ever been provided by an employer. Just to get on the floor, I went through 160 Hours of training,
    -Co-Workers. A very supportive, diverse group of people.
    -Pay is well above average for this type of work.
    -Plethora of benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k, ESO, HSA) and discounts.
    -Leadership as a majority, are very supportive and want to see you grow and get moved up.

Cons

-At times, can be very stressful. Their main concern is that they want attendance to be consisting but with a job that you sometimes can feel repeatedly overworked and stressed, some days you just want to stay home.
    -Leadership can at the same time be forgetful of how stressful your job can be.

Advice to Management

Find a way to have a more efficient and effective work-life balance. Attendance is key in a call center environment but happy employees=happy customers.

5. "Okay if you aren't in sales,customer svc, sales, or claims resolution"

Former Employee - Authorizations in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Authorizations in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at First American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, average pay. Fantastic training program. A lot of opportunities for growth.
    Great discounts. Everything is digital. I have seen several general employees move to other departments (myself included, before the supposed mandatory wait time). Authorizations isn't that bad except that they keep trying to push Customer service attitude too much.Have seen several people move up to lead or management positions.

Cons

Insanely difficult customers and technicians. You will become jaded about the general public quickly. The schedules can suck and aren't permanent. Sometimes mandatory overtime. QA can be inconsistent. Does pay enough for the stress factor.

Advice to Management

Be flexible. List to your employees complaints. Don't give the impression that you can't take escalated. Find something to reduce stress for reps. Maybe give a day in a different, non phones position.

6. "Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Santa Rosa, CA

Pros

Was a great place to work. I sold home warranties that covered systems and appliances in consumers homes. It was commission, and I loved it. I had 2 very good supervisors. The last one was Julie Pilacelli.. She was very fair. I worked part time , but usually was allowed to come in early such that it was almost full time. Great coworkers.

Cons

I was fired when I did some things that were misunderstood by other employees. But would I still recommend the employer. Yes, great employer.

Advice to Management

Doing OK

7. "Best place to work."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at First American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love working for First American. Great culture and an organization that treats its employees with respect.

Cons

Stressful summers durring our busy season.