First Busey Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Universal Banker"

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at First Busey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team, good work-life balance, nice wellness program

Cons

No benefits for part-time employees

2. "Goo place to Learn - Don't stay too long"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Champaign, IL

I worked at First Busey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Busey has great people. Co-workers are friendly, helpful, and engaged. Working with customers is a great way to learn banking and financial sales. There is a matching 401(k). There are opportunities to learn, become a leader, and receive incentives.

Busey has a nice culture. There are perks available including vacation, sick, and personal time.

If you are skilled at inter-office politics, you can advance into higher level roles.

Cons

It was my experience that Busey pays low and does not negotiate the base wage. Your annual raise is determined by the corporate board without regard to your personal performance. Most bankers I knew do not receive an incentive, so base wage is very important.

From my experience and seeing others, it takes a very long time to be promoted, and there is a strong culture of favoritism and being "liked" by management. Being liked is more important than making the sale's numbers, and being liked involves a certain level of "sucking up" to managers. If you are liked and make the numbers, there's a very good shot at promotion to a manager after a couple of years. If you are liked, but don't make the numbers, you still have a good shot at promotion. If you make the numbers, but are not well liked, you have less of a chance at promotion. And if you do not make the numbers and are not well liked, well, you will probably never be promoted.

The healthcare benefits are high deductible plans.

3. "Trust Operations"

I have been working at First Busey full-time

Pros

Good Healthcare and Retirement Benefits

Cons

Low Pay very little upward movement potential

Advice to Management

Promote internally stop constantly searching outside the company when great talent is within. You will energize your workforce and create much needed loyalty from your team!

4. "Teller Schedule could use some work"

Pros

Simple job, very relaxing depending on which branch you work at.

Cons

Moving up is never about the quality of work you do, rather who you suck up to. I understand that's pretty normal, but there should be some consideration into skill sets as well.

Advice to Management

Look inward for promotions, your company will be stronger as a result.

5. "Full time employment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at First Busey full-time

Pros

Ok benefits, offers a clothing reimbursement which is nice if you need to use it. Offers a few hours a month of pay for employees to volunteer where ever they would like to.

Cons

The Salaries could be a bit higher and there is little training on new systems. Could have better communication with the employees.

Advice to Management

The more training that the employee receives, the better it is for the company and the employee. A happy employee is always a better working employee.

6. "Card Services Specialist"

Former Employee - Operations in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Operations in Champaign, IL

I worked at First Busey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Consistent hours and pay. Friendly coworkers. 401k with a match was great. Work stays at work.

Cons

Low pay with lots of pressure from management. Might be your style, but it wasn't for me. Management was a total grab bag of leadership styles ranging from too casual to dictatorial.

7. "Burned out"

Pros

I worked with some awesome people and enjoyed my interactions with the customers.

Cons

Too much emphasis on metrics and the sale of bank products. Too much stress for too little pay.

Advice to Management

Give more credit where credit is due for loyalty and good customer relations. Pay more.

8. "good work environment"

Pros

great coworkers, good work environment

Cons

low pay and does not have much room for career growth

9. "Learning experience"

I worked at First Busey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to learn new things about finances/banking, etc. It's good that they offer training courses throughout employment.

Cons

Low pay-especially in comparison to other banks.
    Underappreciated
    Entirely too much focus on sales and upper management bonuses as opposed to focusing on the customers and the employees.
    High volume of turnover

Advice to Management

Could make sure to keep the team environment positive. If the work atmosphere is positive and management is supportive, it makes for better and longer term employees. In my time there, I saw a LOT of very good employees come and go, due to lack of positive work environment and support from supervisors.

10. "Trying to Compete with Big Banks"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Punta Gorda, FL
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Punta Gorda, FL

I worked at First Busey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great relationships with customers, small branches, close staff, great place to start a banking career.

Cons

Trying to join the big bank sales culture. The customer base is not large enough for that in Florida. Customer demographics in area want to get away from these practices.

Advice to Management

Understand that the reason our customers came to our bank in the first place is that they are tired of being hounded to open accounts every time they walk into the bank. They want a good relationship with their banker without the pressure of all the sales. Now, every time they have any contact with the bank they're being sold something. Until rates come up, at the very least, we can't thrive in this big bank culture using big bank techniques as such a small institution. Go back to selling great customer service.