First Cash Financial Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Rick L. Wessel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pleasant work environment, opportunities for advancement, benefits offered are insurance and 401 (k) is a great plus (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The management team should be fired and replaced with people that have actually worked all positions of the company (in 3 reviews)

• Working at their pawn shop was the worst decision i could've made (in 3 reviews)

1. "Pawnbroker"

Current Employee - Senior Pawnbroker in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Pawnbroker in Louisville, KY

I have been working at First Cash Financial Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No micromanagement.
    Get paid commission.
    Get great employee discount!

Cons

Management sucks.
    Lack of work effort by some employees.
    Dealing with unsatisfied customers.

Advice to Management

They need to step up and work. Be a good example for their employees. Instead of being lazy and taking breaks every 30 min.

2. "I am a store manager"

Pros

None. They killed CashAmerica. One of the best companies ever.

Cons

FirstCash employs modern day slave labor. They do the least amount required by law just to cut costs, then pile everything on the district manager and below.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees how you would like to be treated.

"worst pawn chain"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at First Cash Financial Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None at all. Nothing. Nada

Cons

They slashed benefits. They reduced 401k contributions. They increased working hours. The downgraded the software we used at work. The changed their vacation policy. They changed their policies regarding returns and layaway and made it harder for use to help the customers.

There is NO such thing as work life balance. I was a store manager for 3 years.

Advice to Management

Retire.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at First Cash Financial Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You never do the same thing every day. Lots of variety.

Cons

Company makes to many changes and they do not value employees. There motto is everyone is replaceable.

Advice to Management

Value employees

"Pawnbroker"

I have been working at First Cash Financial Services full-time

Pros

Good opportunity to meet and serve members of your community. Stimulates critical thinking in ever changing environment of people and what they bring. Sharpens skills of observation, negotiation, and emotional intelligence. A proficiency in other languages will help your experience.

Cons

Changeover from Cash America to First Cash has hit current and long term employees and management hard. Loss of benefits, and being saddled with an old and tediously slow operating system, V2, is a game changer. Most of all, the loss of relevant data on long term customers, has put us in the dark, can no longer make informed decisions on loan amounts, which will hurt the company long term, and is an affront to solid customers who expect more cash and have received it in the past. Worse, we can no longer negotiate fair prices on things customers need like tools. Sales and foot traffic drops as a result. It is time to look for a new job.

Advice to Management

Your corrupt overseers want to make the world cash free. Where will your company go as the dollar drops in value or disappears? How about you actually work in a pawnshop for a while so that you can see how it is not a retail operation, but a way to help people and put cash on the street. Your current business model is failing as a result.

"Growing company with poor vision"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at First Cash Financial Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice corporate office on West 7th St. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Pay is low. Does not seem to value the field employees. No room for growth. A lot of office politics.

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of the people making you money in the field. They are the reason you have a job.

7. "Do not work here"

Former Employee - Collections Representative in Euless, TX
    Former Employee - Collections Representative in Euless, TX

I worked at First Cash Financial Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is not much to say about pros with this company. Take a look at the cons and perhaps that will answer your question.

Cons

The pay is not good. They offer no career path. The health package they offer is mediocre and management is a whole other story.

Advice to Management

Offer better benefits and more money.

"Good pay, long hours and lots of headaches from corp office."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Frederick, MD

I worked at First Cash Financial Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Moved up quickly within the company in a short period of time. Good pay with monthly and quarterly bonuses.

Cons

Long hours with no time for family. Too many corporate policies established by people who have never worked in a pawnshop. They enact policies and rules that may look good on paper or sound good in a scenario.... but that will never work in a store environment.

Advice to Management

I had no issues with district managers.... all great to work with. The upper management at corporate level need to spend some time working in a store several times a year to see how it really works! Instead if busting managers bal about things that are out of their control, get them involved with making policies. The managers have to please people on both sides of the counter. It's not just a numbers game! This company could go a lot further if there was a solid game plan, with better customer service and store employee support.

9. "This company is going downhill fast and treating their employees the way they do will only expedite this..."

Current Employee - Shop Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Shop Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Anymore the only pro is the discounts you receive but seeing as they take everything good away I'm sure that will be gone before long as well.

Cons

Too many to list here, they "merged" with Cash America and it has been hell ever since. Seriously if this company doesn't change the way it treats its employees and how it's running its business it won't be long before bankruptcy. They are slowly converting all of their stores over to an antiquated system known as V2, really its a free open source app and truth be told it has so many vulnerabilities I wouldn't trust it with any of my personal information. But anyways I digress, the new system has so many flaws that makes everything take ten times longer than the old system while having so many errors that it's a miracle each store isn't off on cash at least once a day due to the system alone. But don't worry about the new system because first cash generously gave each store either a drop manager for a day and a half to learn the system or trained the manager for a day and a half and then told them to "figure it out" with help from a messenger app composed of your peers and some "tech support" that seemed to be learning the new system as they go. Literally the new system opens up room for a lot more theft and their answer is to threaten the employee's of what will happen if they steal, remotely watch the store's and alert them to check on the store if they see things that look suspicious, and implement another few pages of checklists that management are forced to go through once a week or more to ensure the company's assets are secure. NEWSFLASH, THE MORE YOU TREAT YOUR EMPLOYEES BADLY, THE MORE THEFT AND LOSS OF PROFITS AND NET REVENUE YOU WILL SEE! Oh and don't get me started on the holidays, vacation and personal time, they took away the majority of holidays from us legacy Cash America employees and also dramatically limited the sick and vacation time accrual as well in an attempt to make more profit for the top guy's. Like I said, it won't be long for this company to start showing it's true financials and bankruptcy will be the eventual outcome unless huge changes are made.

Advice to Management

Start by treating your employees better as they are what makes your company successful.

10. "Great company merging with Cash America"

I worked at First Cash Financial Services full-time

Pros

Great company with lots of possibilities for the future with the appropriate leadership. Still going through its merger growing pains.

Cons

I loved my job there but leadership needs to recognize the true value of its employees and take steps towards better oversight of some of its departmental leadership, particularly in the merging of the two companies cultural differences and reduction of confusion of the processes necessary to create a better working environment and a smoother running operation.