Cover image for First Command Financial Services

What people are saying about First Command Financial Services

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people and you are appreciated(in 25 reviews)
  • "A very team oriented staff that looks to provide support and build a cohesive culture.(in 13 reviews)
  • "great training and place to start(in 12 reviews)
  • "Good benefits(in 12 reviews)
  • "good work environment is good is good(in 10 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of First Command Financial Services and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A wonderful place to work and develop your career.

Nov 9, 2022 - System Administrator in Fort Worth, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

A great work environment backed by a great mission. The company and its leaders truly care about military personnel and their families, our field employees, and our home office employees. We have many events for home office employees that allow them to interface with their colleagues and step away from their desk. Because of our hybrid business model, employees that have a job that allows them to can work from home a few days out of the week. Many people that work here have been here for many, many years - this speaks volumes about the company's performance and rich culture that is so evident.

Cons

Sometimes seen as a negative, a hybrid business model means that employees are expected to come in an average of two days a week. We are also employee owned, meaning when the economy and financial market are down, bonuses suffer.

VP, Communications

Thank you for sharing your First Command experience. The mission of our company is incredibly important to our employees. They tell us that one of the most compelling elements of this career is the opportunity to serve military personnel and their families in a meaningful way. As part of our commitment to our employees, we’ve implemented a flexible, hybrid work environment which reflects a meaningful balance of in-office experiences with work that can be done virtually. The results of our recent employee experience surveys underscore the value of face-to-face interactions, which allow us to develop deeper relationships and pursue greater creativity and innovation. These in-person opportunities are critical to maintaining our strong culture. At First Command, we focus on providing our employees with opportunities for professional growth and reward them through an attractive compensation and benefits program. Despite a challenging economy, we continue to offer competitive pay which is supplemented with a generous benefits package. We offer comprehensive, quality benefits that promote overall physical, emotional and financial well-being for employees their families. We offer pricing and quality that is competitive in the marketplace. In addition, as an employee-owned company, First Command offers an Employee Stock Ownership Program and this valuable retirement benefit is funded entirely by company contributions. We appreciate you taking time to share your experience.

2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Solid but very individual focused

Nov 21, 2022 - Fast Start Advisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good Support System Open Target Market

Cons

Quota driven basis Completely self-service for start up

Continue reading

VP, Communications

Thank you for taking time to share your experience. First Command seeks to attract and retain talented people by providing employees and Advisors with opportunities to enhance their professional knowledge and develop leadership skills. As you note, our Advisors do face some challenges in growing their business, but they also enjoy many opportunities. One of our most valuable offerings is the Fast Start program, which provides intense professional development to prepare new people for success as independent Advisors. Some of the benefits of that program include paying new Advisors during the training period and offering a full array of employee benefits. Through the program, our Advisors learn how to build and grow their own business, serve new clients and provide quality, face-to-face financial coaching. They learn how to coach our clients to become financially disciplined and confident in their pursuit of financial security. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for sharing your experience.

3. Join the First Command Financial Services team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee

Company can improve

Nov 19, 2022 - Administrative Assistant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Military support and affiliates Friendly and good training

Cons

No work life balance High turnover

VP, Communications

Thank you for taking time to share your experience and the benefits of a career with First Command. We seek to attract and retain talented people by providing employees with opportunities to enhance their professional knowledge and develop leadership skills. We’re committed to creating and sustaining a culture that inspires our employees and makes them feel appreciated and part of the First Command family. The mission of our company is incredibly important to our employees and Advisors. They tell us that one of the most compelling elements of this career is the opportunity to serve military personnel and their families in a meaningful way. Our company leaders are also committed to maintaining an open-door policy. We encourage employees to discuss concerns with their manager. We rely on employee surveys and Glassdoor reviews to gain critical insights and continue to improve, so thank you for your feedback.

5. 5.0

good company

Oct 25, 2022 - Brokerage Operation associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

the manager is helpful, the team is kind and willing to help.

Cons

the compensation can be better.

VP, Communications

Thank you for sharing some of the benefits of working at First Command, including a great team and supportive leadership. We maintain our strong culture and mission by attracting and retaining talented people. We focus on providing our employees with opportunities for professional growth and reward them through an attractive compensation and benefits program. We offer competitive pay determined by third-party studies of employers in our market area, which is supplemented with a generous benefits package. In addition, as an employee-owned company, First Command offers an Employee Stock Ownership Program to qualified employees. This valuable retirement benefit is funded entirely by company contributions. Thank you for your feedback and we appreciate you taking time to share your experience.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Experience and Tenure @ First Command Financial Services

Oct 19, 2022 - Manager, Field Force Training Delivery in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Great Place To Work 2. Team Collaboration and great communication 3. Be Yourself, don't be afraid to be different 4. Agile Environment 5. Everyone is heard 6. Family and well-being is a priority for Leadership 7. Diversity and Inclusion is welcomed here at First Command.

Cons

1. Change is constant; however, the firm is working on being agile and sometimes too many changes in a short amount of time can potentially slow production and affect behavior.

Continue reading

VP, Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience and the benefits of a career with First Command. We are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that inspires our employees and makes them feel appreciated and part of the First Command family. At First Command, we recognize and appreciate the value of a diverse workforce, and we foster an inclusive environment where feedback is encouraged. As part of our commitment to our employees and clients, through our Agile transformation, we are dedicated to making continuous investments in our processes and technology to enable ongoing business growth and enhance our client experience. We rely on employee surveys and Glassdoor reviews to gain critical insights and continue to improve, so thank you for sharing your experience.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good if you want to help people and have little prior experience

Nov 5, 2022 - Financial Advisor in Tampa, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Unlimited Upside -6 months of salary before commission only -huge upward mobility

Cons

-3 months of training at min wage -have to sell a lot of insurance in the first couple of years to sustain pay

VP, Communications

Thank you for taking time to share your experience as a First Command Financial Advisor. We seek to attract and retain talented people by providing Advisors with opportunities to enhance their professional knowledge and develop leadership skills. One of our most valuable offerings is the Fast Start program, which provides intense professional development to prepare new people for success as independent Advisors. Some of the benefits of that program include paying new Advisors during the training period and offering a full array of employee benefits. Through the program, our Advisors learn how to build and grow their own business, serve new clients and provide quality, face-to-face financial coaching. Our Advisors are eligible to earn a strong income through competitive industry commissions on sales of financial products, plus additional annual and deferred compensation. An essential part of this career is advising clients in strategies to manage their unique financial risks. This client-first approach to insurance is key to our commitment to follow the highest ethical standards and best practices of the financial services industry. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to share your perspective.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

First Command

Oct 28, 2022 - Licensing Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Hybrid work schedule and friendly coworkers

Cons

Pay for long term employees

VP, Communications

Thank you for sharing your First Command experience. We are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that inspires our employees and makes them feel appreciated and a part of the First Command family. As part of our commitment to our employees, we’ve implemented a flexible, hybrid work environment which reflects a meaningful balance of in-office experiences with work that can be done virtually. The results of our recent employee experience surveys underscore the value of face-to-face interactions, which allow us to develop deeper relationships and pursue greater creativity and innovation. At First Command, we focus on providing our employees with opportunities for professional growth, and we reward them through an attractive compensation and benefits program. We offer competitive pay determined by third-party studies of employers in our market area, which is supplemented with a generous benefits package. In addition, as an employee-owned company, First Command offers an Employee Stock Ownership Program to qualified employees. This valuable retirement benefit is funded entirely by company contributions. Through this program, our long-term employees are able to amass considerable assets. Thank you again for taking time to share your experience.

9. 4.0
    Former Employee

It has good WLB but payment is not competitive

Oct 26, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good work-life balance. People here are friendly.

Cons

Still in Agile transfer, might have too many meetings per day.

VP, Communications

Thank you for sharing some of the benefits of a career with First Command. We are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that inspires our employees and makes them feel appreciated and a part of the First Command family. We focus on providing our employees with opportunities for professional growth, and we reward them through an attractive compensation and benefits program. In addition to competitive pay and a generous benefits package, as an employee-owned company, we offer an Employee Stock Ownership Program to qualified employees. This valuable retirement benefit is funded entirely by company contributions. As part of our commitment to our employees and clients, through our Agile transformation, we are dedicated to making continuous investments in our processes and technology to enable ongoing business growth and enhance our client experience. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

10. 5.0

A Refreshing and Enjoyable Work Experience

Oct 5, 2022 - Senior Copywriter & Content Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Since the beginning, I've enjoyed the family-friendly and professional atmosphere. I feel that I am giving back to those who serve and that gives me purpose on a daily basis. The office atmosphere is safe and I have been continually welcomed into the department by wonderful individuals.

Cons

Please continue to be on the cutting edge of diversity, inclusion, and technological advances.

VP, Communications

Thank you for sharing your experience. The mission of the company is incredibly important to our employees. They tell us that one of the most compelling elements of this career is the opportunity to serve military personnel and their families in a meaningful way. At First Command, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that inspires our employees and makes them feel appreciated and a part of the First Command family. We recognize and appreciate the value of a diverse workforce, and we foster an inclusive environment where feedback is encouraged. Thank you again for sharing your perspective.

11. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not Military Friendly

Nov 7, 2022 - Administrative Assistant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Easy to get a job there.

Cons

No formal training, onboarding. Company is supposed to be all about the military, but they do not care about us.

VP, Communications

Thank you for sharing your perspective. Our mission at First Command is incredibly important to our employees and Advisors. They tell us that one of the most compelling elements of this career is the opportunity to serve military personnel and their families in a meaningful way. Four out of five First Command Financial Advisors come from the ranks of veterans and military spouses. For these Advisors, the career is about serving those who serve through quality, face-to-face financial coaching. At First Command, we maintain our strong culture and mission by attracting and retaining talented people. We focus on providing our employees with extensive training and opportunities for professional growth, and we reward them through an attractive compensation and benefits program. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to share your perspective.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 320 Reviews
</>Embed

First Command Financial Services Reviews FAQs

First Command Financial Services has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 357 reviews left anonymously by employees. 79% of employees would recommend working at First Command Financial Services to a friend and 74% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, First Command Financial Services employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at First Command Financial Services. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

79% of First Command Financial Services employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated First Command Financial Services 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at First Command Financial Services to be culture, career development, coworkers and the cons to be senior leadership, management, benefits.

Popular Careers with First Command Financial Services Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at First Command Financial Services? Share Your Experiences

First Command Financial Services Careers

Cover image for First Command Financial Services

We are personal financial coaches serving our Nation’s military families. Since our founding in 1958, we remain committed to supporting the...More

• Benefits
  • Careers
  • Culture
  • Philanthropy

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

71 days ago

Careers
We are once again honored to earn a Best Place for Working Parents designation. Our family-friendly culture helps us hire and retain top talent and contributes to an environment where everyone can thrive.
Shared image - 2022 Designation Awards - Best Place for Working Parents®
2022 Designation Awards - Best Place for Working Parents®
bestplace4workingparents.com

108 days ago

Culture
Our President & CEO, Mark Steffe, received the Patriot Award, presented by Ret. Col. James P. Hogan from the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, a DoD office focused on fostering a culture of mutual support between Reserve service members and their civilian employers. We are honored to receive this important award because it recognizes our commitment to supporting employees and Advisors who also dedicate time to serve in the Guard and Reserve.
Shared image

First Command Financial Services Photos

+ Add Photo
First Command Financial Services photo of: 2021 Best Place for Working Parents
First Command Financial Services photo of: Yes! We’re one of the Best Companies to Work for in Texas (Again)!
First Command Financial Services photo of: For the 8th consecutive year, First Command has been recognized for our commitment to recruiting veterans and military spouses. #MilitaryFriendly
First Command Financial Services photo of: Hiring 100K Military Spouses campaign is a nation-wide call to action that encourages businesses to hire 100K MilSpos collectively. First Command is committed to supporting our military families.
First Command Financial Services photo of: The 100 best companies to work for in Texas were revealed, and guess who’s in the top 25? #bestcompanies #proud Via Best Companies Group and Texas Monthly Magazine.
First Command Financial Services photo of: First Command congratulates the U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officers Association (CPOA) on 50 years of service! We’re happy to support this awesome organization.
First Command Financial Services photo of: The kids are all right! Tours, presentations &amp; games were the highlight of Take Our Daughters &amp; Sons to Work Day 2019. Thanks to everyone who helped make this day special!

Expert Career Advice

Edward Jones

3.9

4,249 Reviews
Compare

Glassdoor has 357 First Command Financial Services reviews submitted anonymously by First Command Financial Services employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if First Command Financial Services is right for you.