First Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Margi Shaw

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The president of the company has an open door policy and she is also very approachable, which is something that is both important and comforting (in 4 reviews)

• Overall, a great place to gain relevant experience (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • As a smaller company, we need to move quickly and sometimes have to wear multiple hats to get the job done (in 3 reviews)

• Customers and staff are treated with insignificance and lack of understanding (in 2 reviews)

1. "Opportunities Opening Up"

I have been working at First Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cloud IP PBX is a experience tremendous growth. Opportunities are opening up throughout the support organizations to learn and grow. Training programs are coming together and creating career development opportunities.

Cons

With crazy growth comes stress.

Advice to Management

Keep training and investing in your teams.

2. "Great company with Great people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at First Communications full-time

Pros

My coworkers really make with company a great place to work. I truly enjoy working here.

Cons

I would like to see more company social events after work.

3. "A Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Order Entry in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Order Entry in Akron, OH

I have been working at First Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone here is willing to answer questions to make you the best you can be. Entire staff is friendly. Location is perfect. Pay & Benefits are wonderful. People actually greet you & are genuinely friendly. People actually hold doors open for each other. Great atmosphere to learn in. Nice office. One word: PERFECT!!!

Cons

None that I've found so far.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Love the open-door policy. Every is easily approachable.

4. "The work is not hard lack of communication and team work make it hard to do the job!!!"

I have been working at First Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company has a great product that will always be in demand. We have great potential to be a leader in this industry and to continue to grow and evolve with the tech.

Cons

There is a serious lack of communication and team work that makes it difficult to complete task and help the company reach its goals. Important emails go unacknowledged. There is more emphasis on what people cant do and not what they can do. People give the impression of being over worked, underpaid, and underappreciated that causes a lack in motivation and high levels of stress.

Advice to Management

Team work is the key. When a problem occurs, people focus more on who is to blame rather than finding a solution to a problem, fixing it, and putting process in place to prevent the issue going forward. We need to get back to understanding each departments roles and responsibilities in the company and learn how to work well with each other as one company with one goal. Right now our departments operate as if they are their own individual companies and at times this causes them to treat co workers in other departments as if they are a third party.

"Good Company to work for."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at First Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

First Communications has a state of the art office space with great view, inviting atmosphere, and nice employees who are very knowledgeable in their field. Everyone is willing to help you learn the skills you need to succeed. Volunteering opportunities and office parties really help everyone get to know one another. Full-range of benefits and the ability to earn bonuses after goals are met. The president is involved and walks around inquiring about employees regularly.

Cons

Always has new products or systems and staying on top of it all can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Hire more people to help the company grow.

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at First Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent learning opportunities, advanced technologies, first class facilities. Company has good employees, decent benefits, salary and bonus structure.

Cons

Getting used to the open floor plan.

Advice to Management

Maybe buy a wall or two...at least for the folks who are on the phone all of the time.

"Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at First Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working at first Communications as a manager has given me a lot of opportunities to grow in my position and develop great senior leadership.

Executive management allows me to manage my groups and make sound decisions that will benefit both the company and employees which is of great importance.

If you have the drive and the ambition, there are ways in which you can grow within the company.

The president of the company has an open door policy and she is also very approachable, which is something that is both important and comforting. She truly cares about morale of the employees and does everything in her power to make sure concerns are addressed.

The company still feels like a family.
    The company culture and diversity.

I can go to my peers and or senior executives for guidance or assistance at any given time.

Company always makes an effort to highlight and reward employees accomplishments.

Flexibility with work and life balance.

Cons

Training of new products need to be shared company wide

Advice to Management

I have a great relationship with my direct manager and executive management .

8. "Overall great place to work!"

I have been working at First Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I feel lucky to be a part of a such a great company. The culture is very friendly with Management having an open door policy.

New employees adapt quickly because of the welcoming atmosphere of the fellow employees.

Upper Management encourages fun things to do throughout the year, i.e. picnics, parties and social hours in between.

Full range of comprehensive benefits and an opportunity for bonus achievement when goals are met.

Turnover is very low - we have employees that have been employed up to 20 years - in my opinion that says a lot.

Cons

With every job there are certain comprises we make, but those are simply personal preferences so I have nothing to add as a true "con".

Advice to Management

My only advice would be to continue to build our product set. First Comm is on the right path with our current leadership team and I'm happy to be a part of it.

9. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at First Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team of seasoned professionals, many of which have been with the company for a long time. The leadership team meets frequently and works well together to ensure the company's goals stay on track. Employees are highly valued and recognized during several company events. The president cares for the employees and sponsors fun events for the company frequently. The company is also involved in contributing to charities and encourages participation from employees which creates another dimension to one's work experience. People who have long tenure with t the company are always willing to help/teach new employees. Offices are nice and the work environment is fun.

Cons

Difficult to compete with Telecom Giants who keep pushing pricing down.

"Love this place!"

I have been working at First Communications full-time

Pros

A great opportunity for learning new technologies. Agile and nimble to meet customer requirements. Open door policy from management and a team work atmosphere. Some employees have been here over 10 and 15 years which serves as a testament to the working environment.

Cons

As a smaller company, we need to move quickly and sometimes have to wear multiple hats to get the job done. Competing priorities need to be managed.

Advice to Management

Career path management & opportunities