First Data Reviews | Glassdoor

First Data Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Frank Bisignano
Frank Bisignano

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No 401k match, although there is an employee stock purchase plan that is reasonably attractive (in 101 reviews)

• If you let it - work/ life balance can a challenge (in 60 reviews)

"Soul-less company"

I worked at First Data full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had a great supervisor for a few months, however he was laid off by First Data, Other than that, I really can't think of anything positive about my experience there.

Cons

I've worked for several large companies in my career and can say without a doubt that First Data has one of worst corporate cultures of any company that I've worked at or done consulting for. First Data lacks a soul, lacks a leader with heart and is not a fit if you're looking for a meaningful career. The CEO is looking for fame and fortune, and nothing else matters. As employees we were treated like rats in a running wheel. Terrible morale in the office, ongoing layoffs through the years and no recognition for great work.

2. "CEO doesn't know how to grow"

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and innovative solutions

Cons

CEO did well restructuring debt but has no idea how to grow the business. His solution is to cut expenses and eliminate jobs. Layoffs every 6 months, regardless of how long you've been there. Most departments senior employee has been there less than 3 years.
    Lots of in-fighting with leadership.
    No 401k match
    Health insurance is pitiful.
    Avoid like the plague!

Advice to Management

Frank needs to go. He did his job with the debt. Not let a growth leader take over.

3. "Clover technical specialist"

I worked at First Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The compensation is good. May have the opportunity to take lead on different piliot programs

Cons

Not a very professional environment, very unstable company , with high turnover.

Advice to Management

Plan out business structure

"DONT DO IT"

Former Employee - Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Engineer in Omaha, NE

I worked at First Data full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

paid my bills over the years but that's about it.
    once they traded stock publicly this place went to hell. if you don't play exactly by their rules you are are never going to be worth anything to this place. even though they tell you think outside the box. HAHAHAHAHAHA whatever.

Cons

they are the kings at laying people off right before the holidays. so what's that tell you?? I rarely ever felt like a part of this place even though I was in demand to my customers.

Advice to Management

jump ship fast. this place is going to sink like the Titanic. all the labor they hire are dumb as rocks and then wonder why nothing gets done. stuff gets worse everyday and no one knows what's going on EVER except a slim few.

"Slicing,dicing,reducing,pillaging,destroying"

Former Employee - Sales in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales in Charlotte, NC

I worked at First Data full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great if you like incompetence

Cons

Inferior Mgt, Inferior Support, Inferior Systems, Unqualified leadership, Unrealistic metrics, Poor compensation, a deteriorating company, No Morale, No future

Advice to Management

Stop destroying the company and hiding behind the phony rhetoric of "Transfirmation" Stop Stealing

"BAMS customer service"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coral Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coral Springs, FL

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, overtime and good trainers

Cons

Management, merchants, pay, management management, no room for growth

Advice to Management

Do something. Telling your agents how well they are doing means nothing when there is no recognition. Some of us come in and do 80 hour work weeks and have to talk to the most miserable crazy and nastiest merchants and no one cares to help. It’s always about what we are doing wrong and how bad are numbers are. Meanwhile management has little to no input or support. People should also be promoted on work ethic and numbers rather than having a nice smile and being a good talker. More room for growth and stop treating people like they are 13

"Advice to young and mid-career professionals"

Current Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I struggle to come up with true pro's that come from association with FD. Lot's of fun coworkers - but there are nice people in a lot of places.

Cons

Look at the stock performance since going public. FD is not growing. Its competitors are growing. FD has no amazing new technology or service offering versus its peers and has already cut its operating cost to the bone – making it a hard place for employees to succeed. It needs to make very big investments as its infrastructure is old. Also Frank is a back office guy out of banking - he did what he knows - cut people etc. He's not the tech leader the payments industry needs. The future for FD is hard to predict. Here’s the impact on me (or you). I have been getting most of my annual bonus in stock that vests over three years (20%/40/40). When I quit (or they fire me) I lose that unvested stock. Even though the public price of the stock has been about the same for two years (ugh!) – it still represents about a year’s pay since so much of my annual bonus is in unvested stock. The company calls us “Owner Associates” but we really are “Handcuffed Associates” - especially as you get more senior in the organization. So be careful if you are looking for career growth – at FD I’m financially trapped in a company that makes it difficult if not impossible to succeed.

Advice to Management

Frank – maybe you can sell one or two of the company airplanes that you use exclusively and pass along the millions of annual savings to some of us Handcuffed Associates working hard and living check to check. BTW the CEO of GE got rid of company jet - try business class sometime and remember the lessons your Mom taught you - be frugal.

"Horrible experience"

I worked at First Data full-time

Pros

nothing that I can think of

Cons

Everything please stay away from this company

"Two First Data's"

Current Employee - Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Morale is poor. My coworkers seem to be just putting in the time. I like the cafeteria. That about sums it up.

Cons

There seems to be two different First Data's. There's the people in NY/NJ and those who have been around just a few years and then there's the burnt out broken rest of us that are 90% of the Company. There's no reason to shout here about RIFs or pay or anything else - you can read those stories here on GD. What you'll also notice is that the negative reviews almost always are from a personal point of view while the positive views look like they were written for a company brochure. I think it's tragic how toxic it has become. Going to the office is a real drag. My advice to potential recruits is this place is the low bar - if you need a little money for a short time it's here - if you're interested in a career or any sort of happiness at work look elsewhere. So why don't I leave? Mostly because I'm lazy.

Advice to Management

Hilarious - back on September 20th somebody calls out an MC member by name here on GD and suddenly FD notices and decides to take over GD. The MC member wrote her own review afterward and I think it was that person because the response is so badly written! What college did she go to? My hope is you guys get fired first (before me)!

"House of Hypocrite"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There're still a handful of great or good people to work with in First Data, although exodus of those are being made everyday; I also can't wait to say adios to First Data.

Cons

Most of remaining SVPs, VPs and Directors of First Data is Hypocrites speaking of good but doing evil for their job security and money only; they together with MC members are making First Data a House of Hypocrite.

Advice to Management

It's a day of 2017, not of 1982, that we lived today. Don't let us see those tragedic scenes from "Barbarians at The Gate" being realized in the office everyday.

Know your low performance; stock price has gone up by only a dollar from 16 to 17 (per share, 6~7% up) since IPO made late 2015, while Dow has gone up from 17,500 to 23,500 point (35%+ up) and Vantiv from 47 to 67 dollar (per share, 35%+ up.) for the same period.

You still seem to boast of what you've done and what you're doing. What's wrong with you?

Showing 406 of 1,959 reviews