First Data Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
First Data Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Frank Bisignano
Frank Bisignano

Pros
  • Great work life balance and coworkers (in 57 reviews)

• Work from home, opportunity to make lots of money (in 41 reviews)

Cons

"Poor Work Environment / High Turnover Culture"

Former Employee - Director of Finance in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director of Finance in Atlanta, GA

I worked at First Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of any pros to First Data

Cons

Gross underinvestment in human and capital resources and general lack of support from Senior Managment drives the highest turnover I have ever seen in my career and critically low morale across the business. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Advice to Management

Invest in people by providing them with the tools and support they need to be productive and motivated. Set clear goals and follow through with these goals instead of starting initiatives and then making employees switch gears and focus on new ones.This inability to finish what you start drives frustration and confusion and ultimately keeps the company from making any real progress. First Data has built a poor reputation among its clients and employees and it will take a lot of work to change this perception.

"Mostly good"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Huntington, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Huntington, NY

Pros

Most of the employees have strong work ethic, highly effective, willing and able to help others when assistance is needed

Cons

Company's culture has changed so much in the past 3 years. Benefit is bad, they took away 401K matching, high deductible on medical coverage

Advice to Management

Employees should be recognized and appreciated for all the hard work they do

"Run Away from First Data!"

Current Employee - Credit Risk Analyst in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Credit Risk Analyst in Melville, NY

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The good people this company is disposing.

Cons

Our Chief Control Officer, Cindy Armine, came to our branch to address rumors of closure about two years ago. We were bleeding talent. To stop the flow, she pledged to us that the facility would be moving to another Long Island or Queens location.

Two months ago she came back to tell us most jobs would be moved out of state but that OUR department would be spared - that a local office would be acquired.

In March, we were told that ALL of our jobs would be eliminated or moved to Georgia or New Jersey.

Avoid this company like the plague. Their word mean NOTHING.

Advice to Management

Put some value on keeping your word. Your credibility is rock bottom.

Build a credible long term plan for growth - not random staffing cuts based on the last quarter's sales.

Stop calling us "owner-associates." We know we are cogs and sprockets, not people, to you.

"Tough times ahead"

Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at First Data full-time

Pros

paycheck cleared every 2 weeks. Sales teams could use corporate cards for virtually anything.

Cons

the company has fallen on hard times and the CEO is taking it out on the employees. All benefits have been snuffed out for awhile including 401k match and bonuses. the weirdest thing was that managers would go out of there way to "suggest" that employees write favorable reviews on this site as if their well being depended on it. I've never experienced anything like that. The company won't pull out of it's tailspin for a long time and I'd look for employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Give the employees back their benefits and please, do not have anymore paid "ghost writers" artificially inflate FDC's rating and CEO approval rate. Have some integrity.

"Where employees are our fourth most important asset"

Current Employee - Compliance Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Compliance Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company sells worthwhile solutions and employs a lot of talented professionals. Compensation is fair. That is about it for "pro."

Cons

Company disposes of employees like used tissues to boost the stock price. CEO says we all benefit from this but stock represents 90 % of his income and 5% of ours. Executives make commitments to employees then disregard them at the drop of a hat.

If you work for these people - GET IT IN WRITING

Advice to Management

Plan for the long term; not
    Just the next quarterly earnings report. Show at least a measure of respect for your employees by not lying to them again and again.

"No job security - yearly massive lay offs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coral Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coral Springs, FL

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It pays the bills currently.

Cons

1. Company does not offer a matching 401k plan. 2. Company says they provide raises depending on the way you score during your performance evaluation, and that is FALSE; Trust me, this comes from someone who scored an "Exceeds Expectations" on their performance evaluation. 3. Massive lay offs going on yearly/quarterly. 4. People who have been with the company 10-15+ years tend to get let go first. 5. You always feel that all upper management does is ask ask ask from their employees but they do not give 6. Frank (CEO) even asks it's Management team to write positive reviews on Glass Door, which I find very comical.

Advice to Management

Show your employees you care by providing them adequate raises, giving them better benefits like a matching 401k that EVERYONE'S been asking for, and please stop with the lay offs! at this trend they'll be an entire 3 people here by this time next year.

"Layoff after layoff after layoff and the future looks worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I like the people I work with because we all hate the company (and Frank) and we are trying to leave so we can go on our own terms. Corporate communications asks people to post positive reviews on Glassdoor - at least that is some communication...

Cons

At the last global town hall Frank talked a lot about baseball but nothing on how we are going to increase revenue. He is by far the most unqualified CEO I have ever worked for. His ego is a terrible problem and he does not seem to be self aware enough to know it. The other management committee members feed into his ego - so its all bad. I assume KKR will fire him if things keep going the way they are now. That means he only makes $100M off his failure - while thousands of lives and careers are disrupted by job loss. Lets face it, Frank only knows how to do one thing to improve financial results - cut people. He has no idea how to grow revenue. Smaller competitors are killing us and we have been and continue to loose market share. We also loose smart people either by layoff or they run away. I hate to say it but those that are left are not the A team. Since all cash flow is needed to pay down expensive debt it will be years before the company can invest in technology upgrades or make a strategic acquisition. My compensation has actually gone down in the past 4 years even though my ratings are above average. What did I get instead of cash and a retirement plan contribution? - A small amount of stock that vests over 3 years so when I quit soon I loose it. Also the stock does not have the upside that Frank insists is the real value - why have we not seen any upside so far - what is going to wow Wall Street? Maybe when Frank gets fired we'll get a bump. I literally cant afford to work at FD much longer. I wont miss the company at all - I follow a very long list of good people who have failed miserably at FD. I have wasted 10 years of my career and I cant help but cry.

Advice to Management

You will take your reputation wherever you go. If your associated with Frank you'll be known for his style since you enabled him. Try to find people from Citi or JPMC that have a nice word to say about him - you wont.

"Good Only For Entry Level/College Students"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at First Data full-time

Pros

Steady paycheck, some overtime, decent location

Cons

Clicks, poor management, indifference toward employees

"Slow death"

Current Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The CEO got to use the company plane for personal reasons to the tune of half a million dollars worth must be nice for him. He had some extra money so he bought the naming rights to the Mets practice field.

Cons

It's not a FinTech company it's a factory. If your a techie you'll be working with systems built before your were born. Anyone know how to program COBALT? Not a very useful skill outside FD. If your in corporate like accounting or HR you'll find a horribly understaffed team in a crowded location that have no job security. If your in operations you'll get a good understanding of why clients hate us. High turnover low pay and long hours don't make for effective customer service. There's a push every year end to fire hundreds of people in order to make numbers. Those left behind try to pick up the pieces but a lot of important stuff just does not get done. During every downsizing there seems to be a focus on just cutting heads with no thought of how things will be done after people are cut. It's almost a blessing to be cut. I know of dozens of people looking for jobs outside of FD.

Advice to Management

Try being honest. You led the Melville people on for two years with promises their would be New office space for them that was a computable distance then decently you told them that was not true and all their jobs end this summer. Lesson for you people in Denver - your next. Also investors don't get excited about the stock. Why would employees get excited. Ages and a half since IPO and its never gotten back to tat price except for one week. How long should people wait until it hits the magic 24 that Fran was lying about last year? And then there's Frank. He must have been eaten up by a lot of people as a kid - he's a bully with a big chip on his shoulder. If your not in his small circle of friends and relatives you will be treated badly. Oh and when you fire almost 500 people in Febuary maybe you should hold off announcing you bought those useless naming rights for the Mets practice field which you did inte same week. You may notice that I don't refer to employees as owner associates. They are not. Their just employees working with no retirement benefits who are getting Frank's spin on things. He'll be gone soon if things stay as they are but all the employees will have this useless stock.

"Worst sales job"

Former Employee - Business Consultant in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Business Consultant in Laurel, MD

I worked at First Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your set your own schedule and you learn about the banking system. Good benefits if you actually stay. You learn about the POS industry which is really a scam.

Cons

Management has unrealistic expectations, there is collision, unethical practices, constant changes to pricing and you support is non existent from management. I worked there a year and almost no one makes sales quota. Since it is a work from home role management calls you with ideas but never offers anything but emails and stories. Total sales rep sausage factory

Advice to Management

Get into the 21 century and have a standard way for the sales force to market your products. Door knocking is useless for pOS systems since you are in every bank. Management should be harvesting leads instead of dictating from home what should happen.

Showing 339 of 1,668 reviews