First Data Reviews | Glassdoor

1,737 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,737 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good company for work life balance (in 62 reviews)

• Good work from home arrangement (in 41 reviews)

Cons

"Got too comfortable with what I did loved the job"

Former Employee - Contact Center Team Lead in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Contact Center Team Lead in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at First Data full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a very diverse culture of individuals from all walks of life and skills pay is competitive there's a great benefits package paid time off and vacation from day one along with insurance paid training Employee Appreciation events and spirit weeks full of fun and games

Cons

Turnover changes in management and monthly compliance. They are quick to let go of talent and longevity most of the time based on how much you make and they turn around and refill the position within a week at less pay

Advice to Management

Don't get rid of longevity and talent just to bring in people from the street for less money

"Change is not always good"

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Melville, NY

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked with remarkably capable, creative, determined, and collaborative individuals at many levels within the organization for a very long time.

Cons

Highest level executives demonstrate little consideration for the humanity of the human resources they rely on. Long term goals have become remarkably murky and focused exclusively on dollars without much sense.

Advice to Management

There's a huge gap between being a great company to work for and telling your employees that your company is great to work for. Figure out which one you actually are. Be that.

"Lack of Upward mobility"

Current Employee - IT OPS Tech II in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - IT OPS Tech II in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have had some great coworkers through my time at First Data. Other than the people my experience has been mostly mediocre to negative.

Cons

-Lack of upward mobility
    -Anchoring in salary
    -No 401K match (removed 1 year after I started)
    -Worse health plan
    -No support in upper level management

First Data preaches "meritocracy" as a means to further your career within the company, but that hasn't been my experience. I have been at FD for nearly 5 years and have had exceeds expectations reviews for every annual review, yet it took 3 years to be promoted from a Tech 1 to a Tech 2, when I was quoted it was normally 1 year.

I have also applied for several (5+) internal positions, but have turned all offers down due to anchoring the salary. I've been told numerous times that there is a cap they are allowed to offer even though the position are higher level than I am currently. In one case I also had a counter offer go all the way to the Executive Vice President to be declined.

Shortly after I started the new management dropped our 401(K) match and made significant changes to other benefits such as health insurance. The health insurance also used to have just a small deductible, but now most plans are HDHPs.

There is also a large culture problem. Most employees seem to fit into one of 2 groups. People that have been at FD less than 5 years and are trying to encourage change by promoting new values within FD. The second group are tenured employees who are resistant to any changes. A lot of middle management falls into the second category and although they claim they support change, their actions show they actually do not.

One last note, no jobs are safe, First Data seems to add and cut jobs at the whim of some executives. I have been witness to 2 different layoff events and heard about a few others. Some teams will expand to get a few large projects done and as soon as they are finished the team will be reduced to fit the current workload. My current team has several open positions, but they aren't being filled due to an ongoing "globalization" project.

Advice to Management

You preach keeping talent and upward mobility, yet you are unwilling to pay them appropriately.

The globalization/offshoring project is likely to fail in the long run, but you probably won't be here to see it. Someone else will inherit the problems you created after you've cashed out.

"Coordinator"

I worked at First Data full-time

Pros

First Data is a large company that does allow room for growth. Since going public about two years ago they are currently trying to make sure the owner associates are satisfied with the company as a whole.

Cons

In the same breath since the company has gone public at times too much focus is on the investors and not the employees. When you treat your associates right they will give you their all.

Advice to Management

Focus on upward mobility

5. "Strategic Sourcing"

I worked at First Data full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good managers, team and business partners. In 2014 company began moving in right direction in diversity.

Cons

Lack of personal/professional development, lack of company transparency, non-competitive salary/benefits

"Subpar Management"

I have been working at First Data full-time

Pros

The employees are a bunch of nice people.

Cons

Management is very unprofessional

Advice to Management

Understand that not everyone is comfortable with a foul mouthed, unprofessional boss.

"Focus has changed to shareholders"

Former Employee - Merchant Services Team Lead in Coral Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Merchant Services Team Lead in Coral Springs, FL

I worked at First Data full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of room to move around to other areas of the company.
    Decent benefits package.
    Locations around the world, for those looking to transfer to another country or another part of the US.

Cons

Financial committment focus changed from employees to shareholders, causing sharp reduction in benefits and pay increases.
    Job transfers around the company are more often political than merit and skill based.
    Changing jobs at supervisor level or above comes with the caveat that you will not get any raise until the beginning of the following year.

Advice to Management

It's tough to keep employees when incentives to stay are being culled en masse. Used to be a great place to work, then changes were instituted in the last few years that changed it to an average place, at best.

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA

I worked at First Data full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you love raw homosexuality shoved down your throat you'll love it here. Very difficult place for a conservative white man.

Cons

They use veterans for Federal tax breaks. Employees are meaningless to them as I've seen too many loyal employees with decades of service discarded like sewage. First Data has the highest debt in Georgia, yet the highest paid CEO. These people are crooks.

Advice to Management

Don't make hotheaded, rash decisions based without considering all the data - there are always 2 sides to every story. The saying "Perspective is Reality" is false. Perspective is perspective, reality is reality - the two are not interchangeable.

9. "Clover Team Lead"

I have been working at First Data full-time

Pros

Flexible schedules
    great teams
    can grow in the company

Cons

It can take a lot of attempts to apply for a job before you even get the chance to interview.

"Clover? No. FD. Yes"

Former Employee - Customer Service Technical Phone Support Representative in Oakland Park, FL

I worked at First Data full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company on a whole is great. Excellent benefits and quirks to keep to motivated. Extra hourly pay for late nights or weekends and lots of gifts for you if you work the most overtime

Cons

You will be worked to the core
    Barely any raise.
    Manager are axxholes
    Not allowed to have a life
    You get bribed into overtime and when you cant they try to coach you into Working more hours

Advice to Management

Stick to the core values of the company
    Each department and team management has a different way to make your work harder than it is and people that are good workers get fired or quit

Showing 1,737 of 1,804 reviews