First Data Reviews | Glassdoor

1,686 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,686 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • There is no 401k match since the CEO doesn't think it's necessary since he doesn't get it (in 95 reviews)

• If you let it - work/ life balance can a challenge (in 53 reviews)

"Good Company for the 20+ years I was there"

Former Employee - Director of Operations in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Director of Operations in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at First Data full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

career opportunity, good pay, close to home, I enjoyed working with the people there.

Cons

Risk being hit on the layoffs as your salary and position increase. Constant changes.

Advice to Management

Fight for your employees, thank them and support them.

"Read this. Please read this."

Current Employee - Senior Leader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This review is simple and heartfelt. Many positive reviews on here were "encouraged" by outreach from the senior executive level. They are forced with the expectation you will provide a favorable review.

Cons

Read through the reviews and you will notice a very obvious consensus. This is a terrible working environment, as led from the very top in Lower Manhattan (Atlanta "headquarters" isn't where leadership is based ). The benefits are horrible across the board, especially medical and 401k. You absolutely must understand the full financial details of the healthcare plan before accepting a job here. Large scale layoffs are frequent. Sometimes they are actually mass firings (yes, mass firings by the hundreds) which means no severance and no unemployment benefits. The upper most top leadership of the company lies to its employees. They outright lie. They do. And it's pathetic. My simple concluding message is this: "please move on to another prospective employer and do not work for First Data." Please don't come here. The LGBT and military efforts are a smokescreen and only to build the CEO's reputation.

Advice to Management

You may have met the Pope and had a PR inside the company to brag, but you have no conscious or soul and you are the devil. Had the Pope known, he would not have shaken your hand.

"Great company, for most"

Current Employee - Merchant Services Team Lead in Coral Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Merchant Services Team Lead in Coral Springs, FL

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Clear expectations for performance. Job shadow programs are typically encouraged. If you are the extreme "straight and narrow" type, you can go very far.

Cons

Rigid schedule for hourly tier 1 and 2 (out of 6 global tiers in the entire company) employees, and it is managed in great detail (5 minutes to get to/from time clock before and after any breaks and work day start/stop). New focus (after 2015) is on pleasing shareholders. Employee benefits were cut in order to show higher profits. Employees above tier 2 do not receive a raise for any new position they accept until the beginning of the following year (January). No back pay to compensate.

Advice to Management

Focus on making your employees value their job and you will have to worry far less about micro-managing them.

"Not so great place to work!"

Current Employee - Vice President of Operations in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Vice President of Operations in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great, hard working people to work with. I love my peers! They'll do anything for the company.

Cons

Diminishing benefits. Don't care about people. No work life balance! Working to kill the golden goose. Don't resolve employee conflicts appropriately.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your people. Losing all of the talented people! These are the people that started First Data and you're kicking us out of the door.

"Leaving after 20 years"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at First Data full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some management allows you to work without being hounded. Lots of good people still work here. Some advancement opportunities.

Cons

New management has a New Yorker type attitude and is driving lots and lots of great employees out the door. Benefits are worse than QT, Kwik Shop or even your local coffee shop. Bonus plan is 60% stock and 40% cash payout. Some how we beat our numbers for the year but don't even get a 100% payout. Last 6 years my bonus was cut in half almost each year.

Advice to Management

You better start paying attention or you won't have but a handful of employee's left. I really hope I don't read in the paper or see on the news a company I spent 20 years at driven into the ground. Start paying attention to what's going on inside the company or it will be too late to do anything about it. I still have a lot of connections and almost all of them are looking at leaving First Data.

"Overall FirstData was a mediocre experience. The company benefits were subpar."

Former Employee - Director IT in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director IT in Atlanta, GA

I worked at First Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is an International company which provides exposure to global markets. FirstData takes security seriously and does an excellent job ensuring regulatory protocols are followed.

Cons

FirstData is extremely bureaucratic. The organization is Executive top heavy. Decision making is redundant and extremely difficult.

Advice to Management

Talent is hard to attract and retain due to the poor compensation offerings. and bureaucratic decision making.

"Toxic leadership, no corporate culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at First Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good name brand, smart people who really do want to be led to make a difference.

Cons

Since I left voluntarily, 24 people from my 50 person global department has either quit, posted out or been RIFed. Pretend to focus on employee engagement, but no trust took away work from home roles and the senior management checks badge swipes to see if you came in. Don't know anything about the disciplines of the business, organizational effectiveness or work life value.

Advice to Management

Wake the hell up. You are killing this company.

"First Data Employment"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Global Strategic Sourcing in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Global Strategic Sourcing in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My role in FDC has an outstanding group of peers and management. VPs/SVPs back our team and empower us to actually do our jobs. I have only been employed here for a little over 2 years, but it's been a great experience so far and I am happy to have had the chance to work here. Benefits package when I was hired on was pretty deep and exceeded my expectations. Pay is above average for the area for similar roles in other companies. Outstanding Military Advisory Group and drive to hire veterans.

Cons

Recent IPO is shifting the focus of some senior management - not necessarily bad, but the shift of priorities isn't necessarily being communicated well to the rank and file

Advice to Management

Increase communication for changes that are coming down the road. The confusion and rumors do little good for morale within the company.

9. "Ever Evolving Corporate Entity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at First Data full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits on day one
    401k that gives you options on where it is invested
    Upper Leadership actually cares about employees and clients (contrary to popular opinion)
    Competitive Pay for the area
    Internal rewards (Bravo Points)

Cons

No more 401k match, but "supplemented" with stock
    Reactive instead of Proactive

Advice to Management

Make sure entry level employees know upper Management and have an opportunity to engage with them.

"Disposable "Owner Associates""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at First Data (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, company on the mend financially (somewhat), diversity programs.

Cons

Terrible benefits, executives' focus on stock price motivates them to dispose of good performers with negative consequences (for the good performers AND the company's long term prospects).

Meritocracy is always talked about but rarely respected.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like obsolete machinery . Then, maybe you will get commitment and a sense of "ownership."

Showing 1,686 of 1,751 reviews