First Hawaiian Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert S. Harrison

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, lacking innovation, accountability (in 18 reviews)

• Senior management, opportunity for advancement, salary, promotion, wages, it's not what you know is WHO you know (in 3 reviews)

"Teller"

Current Employee - Teller in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Teller in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at First Hawaiian Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lovely coworkers depending on your branch and department. Excellent benefits for yourself but if you want medical, dental, etc for spouse or children it's pricey. I love working at my branch, but not for the actual job; my coworkers are what keep me here.

Cons

The minimum starting pay is significantly lower than outside competitors. The turnover rate for tellers is very high, therefore a lot of coming and going coworkers.

Advice to Management

My advice to Management would be to increase the minimum starting pay to attract potential employees and to keep them for years to come.

"Teller"

Former Employee - Teller in Aiea, HI
    Former Employee - Teller in Aiea, HI

I worked at First Hawaiian Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits/incentives (well sorta)
    Hours were decent for a day job
    Got interviewed and hired at job fair was a breeze started 2 weeks later

Cons

Micromanagement
    LOW PAY
    No room for advancement
    Very uncomfortable branch
    Managers and supervisors (except one) was very too faced and unpleasant to work with)

Advice to Management

Well as stated benefits are really good you get them even as a part time employee which is nice most companies require u go be full time. Pay was not worth it I got paid way more at my new job with less stress and not having to deal with micromanagement. I worked at the pearleidge branch yep calling you out. I felt uncared for and felt left behind by the supervisors and managers. They seemed to favor the other old time tellers and the other new tellers that were hired with me more. I always felt like I got the butt end of things. They never cared really about you and you had to kiss boto to get to where u want to be and I didn't like that they blamed me for things I didn't do and so on.. I'm glad I got out of that and into a new career...this was not worth the stress and having to kiss butt every day. CARE MoRE about your employees. Maybe they'll stay. One of the worst jobs I regret taking

3. "Great job with decent benefits."

Current Employee - Service Specialist II in Honolulu, NC
    Current Employee - Service Specialist II in Honolulu, NC

I have been working at First Hawaiian Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team I work with are all great people. The downtown center at which I'm located is an excellent location to network and work with various departments within the bank and there's always room for growth and new opportunities. Going public was also a great move for the bank.

Cons

The salary is a bit on the lower side and being associated with BNP doesn't always reflect a positive image.

4. "CSR"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Flexability in schedule, great hours!

Cons

Office is dusty, Needs a remodel

Advice to Management

Do NOT micro-manage so much!

5. "Call center"

Former Employee - Call Center Lead in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Call Center Lead in Honolulu, HI

I worked at First Hawaiian Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really fun place to work, people are young and hip, had a few karaoke parties and got together outside of work.

Cons

Pay was really low and one year I was told I got the highest raise in my section which turned out to be 25 cents! They started pushing loans over the phone and were not compensating us extra for it and I felt at the time some reps were not processing them properly but no one cared, as long as a sale was made.

Advice to Management

Pay people more.

"Stepping Stone"

Current Employee - Compliance Representative in Mililani, HI
    Current Employee - Compliance Representative in Mililani, HI

I have been working at First Hawaiian Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Largest bank in Hawaii with some good benefits. Free gym at the KIC location. Colleagues generally are helpful and responsive. Majority of business units and branches are also easy to work with. Originally started in the Call Center which had a well-rounded training program at the time. Gave me a good understanding of the different areas of banking.

Cons

Pay is below average. No rhyme or reason to promotions. Seems based on sonority or connections than qualifications. No attempt to cultivate skills for employee retention. Most new people are gone within a couple years. Online training also lacking. Software is outdated and a struggle to learn.

7. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Service Specialist II in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Service Specialist II in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at First Hawaiian Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Somewhat flexible schedules for part timers
    -Managers & Co-workers I've had were great
    -Good trainings
    -Get paid every other week
    -Discounted rates and certain phone carriers
    -Two gyms: One for employee only which is free and 24 hours at KIC. And the other is a fitness center at FHC (Main Branch) that has everything you need (shirt, shorts, socks, towel, shampoo, conditioner, soap, blow dryer, toothbrush, toothpaste, & more!). All you need is your shoes. However there is a monthly cost for the fitness center (not expensive as an employee). They also have a massage room for massages made by appointment only (separate from membership fee). Membership is open to the public, discounted to the employees.

Cons

-Low pay
    -Low raises
    -Low promotion raises
    -Hard to move up unless you move out
    -If you work at the main branch you have to pay for parking (which gets pretty expensive) or take the bus (at a discounted rate).

"Systems Support in Business Units"

Current Employee - Systems Support Analyst in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Systems Support Analyst in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at First Hawaiian Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture in First Hawaiian Bank is one of the best that I have worked in. It seems a consistent experience here that managers want to see their staff grow and excel in the areas they are pursuing. There is a very positive growth mindset among manager within the bank and among colleagues.

Cons

Depending on the role within the bank, we are under payed. Salary increases only come during the yearly review. For me it does not provide enough incentive to go over and beyond. At times it seems that it is better to leave and come back to bargain for a better salary.

Advice to Management

To truly retain good people they should be compensated competitively. I've provided 3+ years of service at 33% less than the average salary for my role in HI. Money is not the only factor, but for the skills, role and services that are provided hard facts show we are under compensated.

"Data Analyst"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Honolulu, HI

I worked at First Hawaiian Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tallest building in Honolulu. Free gym. Intelligent colleagues. Amazing Health Benefits.

Cons

Talent and energy do not translate into management positions. Weird 60's style attitude of male dominant management leadership. Women often cast into admin or assistant roles. Highly bureaucratic.

"CSR"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at First Hawaiian Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees, location, hours, benefits, compensation, Sales incentive program

Cons

Senior management, opportunity for advancement, salary, promotion, wages, it's not what you know is WHO you know.

Advice to Management

It's the blatant promotions to new or under 5 year employees. 10+ years and I've changed pay grades once. 2%pay raises while management receives $3k+ AND IPKE. You cannot ask why we don't retail loyal, talented employees while you promote and keep employees who for our don't provide solutions.