First Horizon Reviews | Glassdoor

First Horizon Reviews

Full-time Part-time

"Overall it's been good working at First Horizon"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Memphis, TN

I have been working at First Horizon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very friendly and helpful coworkers. Those outside of our group are also great. Management is open to new ideas for process. Essentially, you can 'own' your work and make it whatever you want. Of course there are processes & procedures in IT, but if you show initiative and expand on what they have, you will be praised by management. Love my job!

Cons

Management isn't always concerned with catching project issues early on. Sometimes it's more pointing fingers rather than resolving the true problems. Mgmt gets nervous if you want to work remote (unless you've been with the company for 20+ years and are an 'insider'). Too many projects using 3rd party vendor software. This lends itself to projects that go on for years and much pain. Not much growth either within or outside our department. Outsourcing our department, I'll lose my job end of Q1 2013.

Advice to Management

Our entire department will be outsourced to India by the end of Q1 2013. The company has gone through this scenario several times over the past 5 years. Whenever new mgmt gets in there, they want to reinvent the wheel. Someone needs to stand up and be loyal to the employees and get through the hard times together. Upper mgmt could take a pay cut rather than eliminate the worker bee.

2. "Enjoyed working there for many years"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Memphis, TN

I have been working at First Horizon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good working environment
    Good benefits
    Nice co-workers
    Great team work

Cons

Little support from management for their IT workers.
    Could provide more educational assistance to employees.

Advice to Management

Need to appreciate their experienced workers more.

3. "Great place to work. High praise and rewards for a good job done"

Current Employee - Commercial Banking Relationship Manager in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Commercial Banking Relationship Manager in Chattanooga, TN

Pros

Very good compensation for production. Management goes the extra mile to ensure that people are fairly compensated and treated well. Pro business attitude through out the entire organization. Great teamwork. Management truly cares about their employees making it the best place I have ever worked.

Cons

Old technology and use of citrix. Poor centralized processes driven out of Memphis significantly slow dow the loan closing process.

Advice to Management

Make the bank easier to do business with. Stop allowing certain people to insert bad processes in to the bank. More line input less Memphis hq input.

5. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - IT Professional in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Overland Park, KS

Pros

Good benefits, wonderful people, meaningful work

Cons

Bank environment with controls in place

Advice to Management

Did well considering how leveraged they were in Home loans when all of that went down. Good focus to go back to being the best in Tennessee....

6. "Deceptive management"

Former Employee - ET Consultant in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - ET Consultant in Memphis, TN

Pros

They gave me a wonderful severance package.
    Employee First Culture is practiced in some areas.
    There is a system to thank co-workers where both the sender and receiver are entered into a drawing.
    They helped pay relocation from another city.
    There are some fantastic people working at the check center near the airport.
    You are allowed to work from home in the middle of the night while on call.

Cons

Was expected to work 50-60 hour work weeks, but told by management only to report 40 hours. On call is horrible in IT. Expect to be woken up every single night that you are on call. The work environment is horrible - mainly because of back stabbers, and liars. I worked all day, and then all that night. I was then expected to be on site that next morning after working 25 hours straight.

I was deceived as to what the work environment would be like. The lack of integrity from management is what bothers me the most about this company. My manager told me repeatedly that he owned me and all of the people that worked for him. We were to be at his beck and call 24/7/365. There was no work life balance there. It was work-work only.

I brought innovation to this company that saved hundreds of thousands of dollars. My reward? I was scaled for growth. I was highly discouraged from applying within the company for other positions. I was discouraged from training to learn new skills for the company.

Advice to Management

Be honest. The deception is not fitting of you. Embrace First Power in all jobs. IT should be allowed to do more than read about First Power in action. Allow movement within the company. Let employees interested in other positions to explore them - even if it is part time in one, and part time in another.

"Awesome at first."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Pros

Workplace flex-time regarding time off.

Cons

Incentive plan changes so rapidly.

"About average for banks these days."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Pros

Strong executive leadership and evidence of concern for employees.

Cons

Other senior management only so-so; not at the same caliber as CEO.

Advice to Management

Quit living in silos and fighting last year's war.

9. "Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Programmer in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Programmer in Memphis, TN

Pros

Relationship with management is open door and comfortable. People work as teams. Management demonstrates that they care about you. Medical benefits are good. I even like my pay.

Cons

Not always able to grow in my field. Not many oppotunities. I've tried suggesting different areas I'd like to get experience, but I tend to get cornered into what I have been doing since I got this job. But I really can't complain becuase they do try to get me what I ask for, even when it doesn't materialise.

Advice to Management

Anything you can do to help a person expand their skill set in their career is appreciated. But otherwise I couldn't ask for a better employer.

10. "First Horizon culture"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Memphis, TN

Pros

Executive Management is supportive. Flexible work schedules.

Cons

Limited number of vacation days for folks with 20 years + experience, who previously got 5 weeks with former company

Advice to Management

Allow negotiation on number of vacation days for 20 years + experienced project managers, when salary is not negotiable

11. "This place was is ok"

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Memphis, TN

Pros

Very competent management. fun team to work with

Cons

i didnt feel like i was properly trained

Advice to Management

need better training