First Hospitality Group Reviews | Glassdoor

David Rudis
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "More care and focus could be put on lower- and mid-level employees when it comes to work/life balance" (in 5 reviews)

• "I started with low pay, and ended with" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at First Hospitality Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company that values employees and provides opportunities for advancement. Great leadership team and support at the corporate office.

Cons

Pay and benefits are good but could be improved.

May 29, 2018 – Director of People Services

Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback! We appreciate our GM's and recognize they are they key to our success!

2. "Great but small"

I have been working at First Hospitality Group full-time

Pros

Managers are excellent and seem to care about growth within their departments.

Cons

The company is still small and opportunities for growth doesn't have much structure once you go into detail about how you will get to where you want to be.

"Disappointing to say the least"

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It’s really hard to come up with pros when the environment at a property level is so toxic. But, I would say the design of the hotel was well thought out.

Cons

Where to start, the management company does not support its employees. Being on the ground floor and being a toxic environment, we are told “if you can’t handle it your not the right fit”. Here are the following items are to “handle”

The hotel itself was renovated windows leak in all guest rooms, elevators break down daily, there is only one small coffee maker for banquets and that is used to service over 500 people in a banquet space, the ceilings leak not a little bit pouring water comes out in the restaurant, it was 20 degrees this past winter in the lobby because they didn’t replace the heating unit in the building, and in turn get ready this summer is gonna be hotter than all get out because the cooling system doesn’t work (literally have to throw ice on it to keep cool air to come out). And those are just the mechanical problems.

The executive staff is horrible! They fight constantly! Which it turn makes all the departments go against each other. It’s a literal war zone on a daily basis between food and beverage, front office, sales and the GM and AGM. People Services does absolutely nothing to help employees. He parties outside of work with certain employees and if you do that you might get some help. He is super proactive about getting into your personal life and causing drama but doesn’t seem to make any moves on the things he is paid for. Wipe the executive team and start fresh. They are all in a bad place and need to be replaced with people who aren’t always fighting against each other. Biggest culprits GM, AGM and Food and beverage director.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your ground level employees. Find the right people for an executive team and then guide them. None of the executive team that was hired had any experience opening a hotel. Especially a hotel of this caliber. The pay is terrible, especially when you are worked like a dog! Make some much needed changes at this hotel ( I’m sure you can figure out where by my review) do something positive for your employees on the ground level. They are getting beat up by their executive team and their inability to lead.

May 21, 2018 – Director of People Services

Thank you for taking the time to write a response and share your opinions. I appreciate that you like the design of the hotel, but am sorry to hear that you are less than pleased with leadership... More

"Run the other way and don't look back"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time

Pros

You get a paycheck and that's about it.

Cons

As a GM you are a desk clerk who can do deposits and are forced to forecast not only revenues but expenses on a day by day basis, line by line, through extreme minutia and the budget process is the same way..good luck getting anything done because you will be tied to their software called first net that I'm pretty sure was designed by Satan himself, who by the way, along with his minions of demons all work at the corporate office. The corporate folks from regional managers, to regional sales people and regional revenue managers are all very mean, hateful and just plain nasty even when you are blowing budget and prior year indices out of the water with high employee and guest satisfaction, they still call you up and scream at you..strange things going on with these people. Then there are these strange little training managers who randomly show up at your property and prance around and waste EVERYONE's day. My advice to you, do anything but work for these people...they are awful.

Advice to Management

The CEO and his family need to all retire and terminate anyone above property and start all over by using an established hospitality management company because the company you have built has a toxic culture. No matter how many cheap economy class junker cars you give away. Seriously, if you are going to give a car away at the annual banquet, give something away that isn't a pile of junk..shameful that compact roller skate you gave away.

May 29, 2018 – Director of People Services

Thank you for taking some time to provide your feedback, we value your input. Our goal as an organization is be financially responsible which is why we emphasis budgets and forecasts, but am sorry... More

5. "Wonderful and dedicated"

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

FHG is a very dedicated company that cares about both the employees and the guests of the hotels they operate. The are focused on training every employee equally to better serve the guests, and always look for ways to make things entertaining. I truly loved the Live Free Drive Free program.

Cons

They can sometimes be money oriented, in the sense that they only reward hotels that did the best job earning money. They often forget about the ones that worked hard to improve their conditions and came a long way.

Advice to Management

See note above in CONS.

"Unbelievable lack of corporate office professionalism and expertise."

Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard to think of one.... They do put on a decent one day annual conference with 2 free drinks and a meal at awards banquet.

Cons

Their claims to developing a people first culture is a joke. It does not exist and efforts to promote this is merely a PR ploy to grow 3rd party management contracts. Some lower level Regional Managers are inexperienced, combative, passive/aggressive and suffer from little man syndrome which is one of the main contributors to their high Manager turnover. The company is very reactive in most phases of business. They have adopted the policy of putting the cart in front of the horse. Typical of them to roll out new practices, procedures, programs before the bugs are worked out.

Advice to Management

Pick up the phone and call your hotels once in awhile and get to know your people. What is interesting is you all promote and push for hotel managers to focus on recognizing and rewarding hourly associates. This is great and I am sure this is embraced by many GMs but the cold facts are that FHG corporate employees and management completely look over the DOS’s and GM’s in respect of this same thing. I have worked for numerous management companies who deliver a nice Christmas gift to hotel managers each year. Sadly, FHG is too cheap and misses this and many other opportunities to engage and reinforce loyalty in this manner.

7. "A great experience on which I built my career."

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

PTO time was great to use, and after just a few years with the company, an increase in that time was earned.
    I had multiple opportunities to move to different properties as a promotion.
    My particular management team recognized its staff for their hard work and made sure to promote from within; I was promoted four times during employment.
    I was able to sit in meetings with Sales, the GM, and corporate RM to learn more and explore my passion for hospitality.
    I really feel like this was the perfect base experience for me to grow, and launch into other cities, and other positions.
    The monthly bonus program, and threepeat booster, as a Sales Manager was a nice perk.

Cons

The raises were not negotiable, no matter if you exceeded goals or blew them out of the water.
    Bonus caps.
    When the corporate office was at the property, it sometimes felt like a negative experience, as if someone who wasn't as well-versed with our market was trying to run the show, and had a micro managing feel.
    Working weekends or extra days did not afford you a comp day off because "this is the hospitality industry"; poor work-life balance.
    I started with low pay, and ended with low pay. I was young and needed experience, so I stayed, but could have easily been paid significantly more at a competitor (includes hourly to salaried positions).

Advice to Management

Recognize your front/heart of the house.
    Compensate for hard work by loosening the strict raise policy.
    When corporate office visits a property, get to know department heads. After multiple property visits a year, the President and CEO never knew my name despite seeing my face EVERY visit; at least do a quick team review before entering the property.
    Mid-level property managers seemed to be forgotten; the GM and DOS collect all the recognition for an entire property while the rest of the team feels invisible.
    If you don't already, start a new policy for comp/flex time in which managers may have a day off in the same pay period when they worked required weekend day(s)

Oct 12, 2017 – President and CEO

Thank you for taking time to leave a review for FHG. We assess all feedback closely and appreciate the details you’ve provided. It sounds like overall your experience was favorable, most notably the... More

8. "Sales and Catering Coordinator"

I have been working at First Hospitality Group full-time

Pros

Dynamic working atmosphere, learn a lot, fun company culture

Cons

Often tedious work and pay isn't great

Oct 12, 2017 – President and CEO

Thank you for taking a moment to provide your feedback on Glassdoor. The Sales and Catering Coordinator is such an important position in so many of our hotels; thank you for all that you do! Training... More

9. "Integrity is not their strong suit"

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time

Pros

There are some great people working there however not recognized

Cons

Very negative workplace and a good culture is not present

10. "Great company"

I have been working at First Hospitality Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great leadership, wonderful hiring process that results in fantastic employees.

Cons

The pay could be better.