First Hospitality Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Robert J. Habeeb

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Friendly relaxed work environment, positive management staff (most of the time) (in 4 reviews)

• A people first company, programs designed to create associate engagement, they promote from within, overall good benefits package (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • More care and focus could be put on lower- and mid-level employees when it comes to work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• I started with low pay, and ended with (in 6 reviews)

1. "A great experience on which I built my career."

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

PTO time was great to use, and after just a few years with the company, an increase in that time was earned.
    I had multiple opportunities to move to different properties as a promotion.
    My particular management team recognized its staff for their hard work and made sure to promote from within; I was promoted four times during employment.
    I was able to sit in meetings with Sales, the GM, and corporate RM to learn more and explore my passion for hospitality.
    I really feel like this was the perfect base experience for me to grow, and launch into other cities, and other positions.
    The monthly bonus program, and threepeat booster, as a Sales Manager was a nice perk.

Cons

The raises were not negotiable, no matter if you exceeded goals or blew them out of the water.
    Bonus caps.
    When the corporate office was at the property, it sometimes felt like a negative experience, as if someone who wasn't as well-versed with our market was trying to run the show, and had a micro managing feel.
    Working weekends or extra days did not afford you a comp day off because "this is the hospitality industry"; poor work-life balance.
    I started with low pay, and ended with low pay. I was young and needed experience, so I stayed, but could have easily been paid significantly more at a competitor (includes hourly to salaried positions).

Advice to Management

Recognize your front/heart of the house.
    Compensate for hard work by loosening the strict raise policy.
    When corporate office visits a property, get to know department heads. After multiple property visits a year, the President and CEO never knew my name despite seeing my face EVERY visit; at least do a quick team review before entering the property.
    Mid-level property managers seemed to be forgotten; the GM and DOS collect all the recognition for an entire property while the rest of the team feels invisible.
    If you don't already, start a new policy for comp/flex time in which managers may have a day off in the same pay period when they worked required weekend day(s)

First Hospitality Group Response

Oct 12, 2017 – President and CEO

Thank you for taking time to leave a review for FHG. We assess all feedback closely and appreciate the details you’ve provided. It sounds like overall your experience was favorable, most notably the... More

2. "Sales and Catering Coordinator"

I have been working at First Hospitality Group full-time

Pros

Dynamic working atmosphere, learn a lot, fun company culture

Cons

Often tedious work and pay isn't great

First Hospitality Group Response

Oct 12, 2017 – President and CEO

Thank you for taking a moment to provide your feedback on Glassdoor. The Sales and Catering Coordinator is such an important position in so many of our hotels; thank you for all that you do! Training... More

3. "Integrity is not their strong suit"

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time

Pros

There are some great people working there however not recognized

Cons

Very negative workplace and a good culture is not present

4. "Great company"

I have been working at First Hospitality Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great leadership, wonderful hiring process that results in fantastic employees.

Cons

The pay could be better.

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Willing to train *Nice clean work environment *Opportunity for growth

Cons

*Disorganized *A bit unprofessional at times

6. "Manager"

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, really good company. Executives were professional and encouraging

Cons

Didn't pay people, line or managers, very good. Would've stayed but just not paying scale with other hotel companies

Advice to Management

Just the pay scale - it should be changed to be fair with the market

"Very unhappy with decision to work at FHG"

Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, only slightly higher than industry standard

Cons

Horrible company culture of harassment and intimidation from corporate. The recruiter I dealt with would have told me anything to get me to sign on, shame on me for being naive enough to believe her. Once you calculate your hourly pay as a GM, you will see that your housekeepers easily make more than you.No quality of life.

"They Ruined Indian Lakes Resort"

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly, I can't think of any

Cons

Well, it finally happened. First Hospitality Group ruined Indian Lakes Resort. Why on earth did you purchase this facility all those years ago if you weren't going to put money into renovating and remodeling a very old building? FHG knew nothing about owning and managing a Full Service Resort when they bought ILR and they should have done more to salvage this facility instead of running it into the ground. You let far too many good employees leave because of your closed minded management ways. Will you ever learn?

Advice to Management

Wake up and realize that you don't know or care about your employees, which means you will never be successful. It's all about the dollar for this boys club organization.

"Atrociously ran company"

Former Employee - General Manager in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - General Manager in South Bend, IN

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time

Pros

-Condescending and arrogant micro managers
    -Task force T is a joke
    -worse job in my 22 year successful hospitality career

Cons

Even if you've been highly successful in past roles, as I was, the miserable corporate underlings will fight you on every logical decision and in general impede you so badly that you cannot succeed.

Advice to Management

You are beyond hope and so full of it you will just keep stepping on good hard working people and lie lie lie.

"Bizarre ideas about hospitality - only interested in revenue"

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No real pros since the company sold its portfolio to Starwood Asset management.

Cons

Diploma mill gurus who lost sight of and don't understand the meaning of hospitality. management by intimidation is their preferred method. Tend to shoot the messenger. management doesn't like the truth. Hire and promote incompetent relatives and shift the blame to you for subsequent mistakes. Rotten company culture of yes men. Toe the line or get fired. Training opportunities limited, misguided and ineffective.

Advice to Management

Go back to basics, stop trying to be great. Stick with just being good, be more altruistic and deliver real value for money.