First Hospitality Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert J. Habeeb

Pros
  • Friendly relaxed work environment, positive management staff (most of the time) (in 4 reviews)

• MANY FALSE REVIEWS ON HERE FROM CORPORATE OFFICE (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • More care and focus could be put on lower- and mid-level employees when it comes to work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Ridiculous company culture, binder after binder of checklists that must be completed daily or write ups issued (in 4 reviews)

1. "Director of Sales"

Current Employee - Director of Sales in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in Columbus, OH

Pros

I have been a director of sales for FHG for 7 years. I made the jump from a full service hotel (sales manager) to a focus service hotel (director of sales) and couldn't be happier. FHG provided excellent training, for sales and revenue management. I love the management style (they do not micro-manage and the culture of the entire company. They really care about their employees and have a great incentive for hourly associates. I've been in the hotel business for 20 years and continue to love the industry and being able to learn all the time. I would highly recommend FHG to anyone in the industry.

Cons

limited staffing and lots of hours.

Nov 7, 2016 – President and CEO

First of all, thank you for taking time to share your experience. Seven years is no short amount of time. I respect and appreciate your commitment to FHG and the positive energy that you bring. It’s ... More

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Willing to train *Nice clean work environment *Opportunity for growth

Cons

*Disorganized *A bit unprofessional at times

"Very unhappy with decision to work at FHG"

Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, only slightly higher than industry standard

Cons

Horrible company culture of harassment and intimidation from corporate. The recruiter I dealt with would have told me anything to get me to sign on, shame on me for being naive enough to believe her. Once you calculate your hourly pay as a GM, you will see that your housekeepers easily make more than you.No quality of life.

"Atrociously ran company"

Former Employee - General Manager in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - General Manager in South Bend, IN

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time

Pros

-Condescending and arrogant micro managers
    -Task force T is a joke
    -worse job in my 22 year successful hospitality career

Cons

Even if you've been highly successful in past roles, as I was, the miserable corporate underlings will fight you on every logical decision and in general impede you so badly that you cannot succeed.

Advice to Management

You are beyond hope and so full of it you will just keep stepping on good hard working people and lie lie lie.

"Bizarre ideas about hospitality - only interested in revenue"

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No real pros since the company sold its portfolio to Starwood Asset management.

Cons

Diploma mill gurus who lost sight of and don't understand the meaning of hospitality. management by intimidation is their preferred method. Tend to shoot the messenger. management doesn't like the truth. Hire and promote incompetent relatives and shift the blame to you for subsequent mistakes. Rotten company culture of yes men. Toe the line or get fired. Training opportunities limited, misguided and ineffective.

Advice to Management

Go back to basics, stop trying to be great. Stick with just being good, be more altruistic and deliver real value for money.

"MONSTROUS"

Former Employee - Director of Food and Beverage in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Director of Food and Beverage in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a Red Bull drinking, cigarette smoking, do whatever it takes kind of person, this is the job for you!

Cons

As a department manager you will work 6-7 days a week, 70 hour weeks. If the golden leaders of the hotel want to hire their brother in law, cousin, friends, they will do so and at a higher rate than a more qualified candidate.
    The golden leaders will take 6+ weeks of vacation, 3 day weekends often and cover for each other. Even if the hotel is sold out and Ryder Cup is in town they won't work!! When I worked 17 hour days, 3 weeks straight, I told a golden leader I couldn't come in because my back was hurting. Instead of being concerned I was interrogated so I didn't file workers comp.
    A golden leader told me to go against the regulation of one of our licenses. I was also told to discriminate when hiring. When I expressed it wasn't right, the write up started to appear. I was invited to the annual party and given a "refundable" plane ticket, but didn't notice that at first. After paying for a babysitter and buying a new dress, I was uninvited less than 48 hours before take off! I found out my ticket was the only one purchased as "refundable", so it was planned. That was the start of a vengeful remainder of my tenure.
    When I would pump breastmilk for my baby the golden leader would constantly hackle me to get back to work. One night, I had to call my sister to watch the bar as I was on my 8th hour without a pumping break...no break for that matter. When I was pregnant so were multiple other employees. Not one of them was able to continue breastfeeding upon returning to work because the golden leaders didn't like to give breaks... they were too busy on their own breaks.
    I watched a golden leader bribe guests for good TripAdvisor reviews. I watched the same one pre authorize all credit cards for check ins one morning and cancel the declined reservations. That leader then left and left another manager to clean up the mess.
    What I endured and watched many other employees endure while employed here is gut wrenching. Who cares when you are making money and it is winning the golden leader a trip to an exotic location every year, eh?!!

Advice to Management

4 GM's and 3 Corporate GM's during my 3 years... that right there says it all.

"Work anywhere but here"

Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ok Pay but not if you break down your hourly rate. As salaried manager you will work 70 hours a week minimum.

Cons

They lie about everything, even have their GM's and regional people go on this web site and give artificially good reviews. They will sell you on the dream and quality of life in the interview (more lies) then when you get hired, you will have at least 5 different corporate people giving you different directives that often conflict with one another. Too many chiefs and you will be the only Indian. Good luck actually doing the tasks that drive results as you will be too busy arguing with your many clueless bosses. I am doing you a favor by telling you all this so you don't go through the misery that I did. This is an absolutely terrible company to manage for.

Advice to Management

There is nothing I can say that would sway you in your extreme error. All of senior management should be terminated and a do over performed.

"One of the best management companies i have worked for!"

Current Employee - Director of Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in Chicago, IL

Pros

Pay, benefits, work/life balance, leadership, mentoring, developing me as a leader

Cons

Need more full service properties to provide opportunities for growth for associates currently at focused service hotels

Advice to Management

Some of the reviews written here are a little scary, and i am going to relate these things to the golden rule in Hospitality; 9 out of 10 people who have a horrible experience tell others about it, and 1 out of 10 people who have an awesome experience tell other about it. I would be happy to tell everyone about my experience with the company. My career in the hospitality industry started off on a rocky note, working for many "mom and pop" management company who promised me the world and fell far short of that promise every single time. Since then, i have worked for many management companies(with an average tenure of 1 and a half years at each company), all who have done the same thing; talk a lot and produce no action. Once i had an opportunity to interview with FHG(i had known the company from many years while working in the hospitality industry in Chicago) i jumped at the chance. I had only ever heard great things about the company and was eager to work for a company that places their people first above all other things. Fast forward to 3 and a half years later, the company has taken excellent care of me and makes me feel like a valued member of the team. While money is important, if i don't feel like a valued member of the company it affects my performance at work. At one point the hotel i was working for was leaving our portfolio, and as a result of my performance and the company valuing me as a team member and they moved me to another great hotel where i have been able to make a huge impact in our top line revenues. Overall, this has been a great company to work for and i would highly recommend FHG to anyone seeking employment in the hospitality industry.

9. "A Step Above the Rest. Fantastic Company and Amazing People!"

Current Employee - Director of Sales in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at First Hospitality Group (More than a year)

Pros

FHG, Inc. is a phenomenal company to work for! There is an overall sense of support, encouragement and spirit of comradery. FHG, Inc. is on the leading edge of developments and trends, continually looking for creative ways to share new resources via their online portal or monthly trainings and consistently promotes within. From the corporate team down to the property level, our class of professionals are some of the most talented individuals I have ever had the pleasure of working with! Truly a step above the rest!

Cons

None that I can think of

Dec 15, 2016 – President and CEO

Thank you for taking time to share your FHG experience! Knowing there is such positive energy around Team FHG and knowing that there are people like you who are passionate and proud to be a part of ... More

10. "Big enough to succeed- small enough to still care"

Current Employee - General Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - General Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

A company that is just about the right size. Big enough to have the proper paperwork, small enough not to get lost in it. Management team is outstanding. Training is awesome too! They actually invest in their people.

Cons

The insurance could be a bit more competitive. The PTO time is a bit strange.

Advice to Management

More golf outings and fun things as a company

Dec 7, 2016 – President and CEO

Thank you for providing this great feedback for the world to see. As you know, the role of General Manager is not an easy one so I have to take a moment to say thank you for all that you do! The fact ... More