First Hospitality Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
David Rudis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Friendly relaxed work environment, positive management staff (most of the time) (in 4 reviews)

• A people first company, programs designed to create associate engagement, they promote from within, overall good benefits package (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • More care and focus could be put on lower- and mid-level employees when it comes to work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• I started with low pay, and ended with (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great company"

I have been working at First Hospitality Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great leadership, wonderful hiring process that results in fantastic employees.

Cons

The pay could be better.

2. "Wonderful and dedicated"

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

FHG is a very dedicated company that cares about both the employees and the guests of the hotels they operate. The are focused on training every employee equally to better serve the guests, and always look for ways to make things entertaining. I truly loved the Live Free Drive Free program.

Cons

They can sometimes be money oriented, in the sense that they only reward hotels that did the best job earning money. They often forget about the ones that worked hard to improve their conditions and came a long way.

Advice to Management

See note above in CONS.

"Unbelievable lack of corporate office professionalism and expertise."

Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard to think of one.... They do put on a decent one day annual conference with 2 free drinks and a meal at awards banquet.

Cons

Their claims to developing a people first culture is a joke. It does not exist and efforts to promote this is merely a PR ploy to grow 3rd party management contracts. Some lower level Regional Managers are inexperienced, combative, passive/aggressive and suffer from little man syndrome which is one of the main contributors to their high Manager turnover. The company is very reactive in most phases of business. They have adopted the policy of putting the cart in front of the horse. Typical of them to roll out new practices, procedures, programs before the bugs are worked out.

Advice to Management

Pick up the phone and call your hotels once in awhile and get to know your people. What is interesting is you all promote and push for hotel managers to focus on recognizing and rewarding hourly associates. This is great and I am sure this is embraced by many GMs but the cold facts are that FHG corporate employees and management completely look over the DOS’s and GM’s in respect of this same thing. I have worked for numerous management companies who deliver a nice Christmas gift to hotel managers each year. Sadly, FHG is too cheap and misses this and many other opportunities to engage and reinforce loyalty in this manner.

4. "A great experience on which I built my career."

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

PTO time was great to use, and after just a few years with the company, an increase in that time was earned.
    I had multiple opportunities to move to different properties as a promotion.
    My particular management team recognized its staff for their hard work and made sure to promote from within; I was promoted four times during employment.
    I was able to sit in meetings with Sales, the GM, and corporate RM to learn more and explore my passion for hospitality.
    I really feel like this was the perfect base experience for me to grow, and launch into other cities, and other positions.
    The monthly bonus program, and threepeat booster, as a Sales Manager was a nice perk.

Cons

The raises were not negotiable, no matter if you exceeded goals or blew them out of the water.
    Bonus caps.
    When the corporate office was at the property, it sometimes felt like a negative experience, as if someone who wasn't as well-versed with our market was trying to run the show, and had a micro managing feel.
    Working weekends or extra days did not afford you a comp day off because "this is the hospitality industry"; poor work-life balance.
    I started with low pay, and ended with low pay. I was young and needed experience, so I stayed, but could have easily been paid significantly more at a competitor (includes hourly to salaried positions).

Advice to Management

Recognize your front/heart of the house.
    Compensate for hard work by loosening the strict raise policy.
    When corporate office visits a property, get to know department heads. After multiple property visits a year, the President and CEO never knew my name despite seeing my face EVERY visit; at least do a quick team review before entering the property.
    Mid-level property managers seemed to be forgotten; the GM and DOS collect all the recognition for an entire property while the rest of the team feels invisible.
    If you don't already, start a new policy for comp/flex time in which managers may have a day off in the same pay period when they worked required weekend day(s)

First Hospitality Group Response

Oct 12, 2017 – President and CEO

Thank you for taking time to leave a review for FHG. We assess all feedback closely and appreciate the details you’ve provided. It sounds like overall your experience was favorable, most notably the... More

5. "Sales and Catering Coordinator"

I have been working at First Hospitality Group full-time

Pros

Dynamic working atmosphere, learn a lot, fun company culture

Cons

Often tedious work and pay isn't great

First Hospitality Group Response

Oct 12, 2017 – President and CEO

Thank you for taking a moment to provide your feedback on Glassdoor. The Sales and Catering Coordinator is such an important position in so many of our hotels; thank you for all that you do! Training... More

6. "Integrity is not their strong suit"

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time

Pros

There are some great people working there however not recognized

Cons

Very negative workplace and a good culture is not present

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Willing to train *Nice clean work environment *Opportunity for growth

Cons

*Disorganized *A bit unprofessional at times

8. "Manager"

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, really good company. Executives were professional and encouraging

Cons

Didn't pay people, line or managers, very good. Would've stayed but just not paying scale with other hotel companies

Advice to Management

Just the pay scale - it should be changed to be fair with the market

"Very unhappy with decision to work at FHG"

Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, only slightly higher than industry standard

Cons

Horrible company culture of harassment and intimidation from corporate. The recruiter I dealt with would have told me anything to get me to sign on, shame on me for being naive enough to believe her. Once you calculate your hourly pay as a GM, you will see that your housekeepers easily make more than you.No quality of life.

"They Ruined Indian Lakes Resort"

I worked at First Hospitality Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly, I can't think of any

Cons

Well, it finally happened. First Hospitality Group ruined Indian Lakes Resort. Why on earth did you purchase this facility all those years ago if you weren't going to put money into renovating and remodeling a very old building? FHG knew nothing about owning and managing a Full Service Resort when they bought ILR and they should have done more to salvage this facility instead of running it into the ground. You let far too many good employees leave because of your closed minded management ways. Will you ever learn?

Advice to Management

Wake up and realize that you don't know or care about your employees, which means you will never be successful. It's all about the dollar for this boys club organization.