First National Bank of America Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"Great organization & leadership with endless opportunity"

Current Employee - National Account Executive in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - National Account Executive in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at First National Bank of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very stable organization with solid foundation, family oriented, lots of opportunities, excellent atmosphere/team work, great leadership and people. work is FUN, even with challenges!

Cons

I've haven't found any as I look forward to a long-term career (hopefully retiring in 20 yrs from here!)

"Residential Loan Officer"

Current Employee - Residential Loan Officer in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Residential Loan Officer in East Lansing, MI

Pros

First National Bank of America has a work atmosphere geared around 3 things:
    1. Make the customer happy
    2. Make the employee happy
    3. Make the shareholders happy
    This three-in-one value chain is evident in our workplace. I can tell you from my experience in the banking industry. We offer a product that no other bank can offer. We help folks with credit issues, we help folks who work for themselves and cannot prove income. When it comes to mortgages, FNBA opens doors when others banks say, "no."
    As far as creating value for the employee...let me put this in perspective: I was diagnosed with Lymphoma a month before they hired me, they knew about my condition and hired me anyway. I underwent chemo for a year and still have maintenance treatments every eight weeks. They made me feel comfortable and encouraged regular breaks to make sure I was getting enough rest. If I needed a moment I could escape to the beautiful 2nd floor break room where they supply free coffee, hot tea, fresh fruit, bagels and donuts alternating every other Friday. Not to mention the comfy couches everywhere and the bar-stool area with large screen tv's. I could go on, but let's just leave it at that. The people who work here make this a special place.

Cons

It would take some thought...nope, still nothing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive/helpful attitude at the workplace...its great to work here!

3. "I'm so happy to be here"

I have been working at First National Bank of America full-time

Pros

Every associate here seems to have the same common goal. Motivated staff that are willing to go above and beyond to ensure you succeed. You're not just a number here. Every person is an important link to the business and is highly valued.

Cons

They have yet to be discovered.

4. "The Destination Company"

Current Employee - Supervisor in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Supervisor in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at First National Bank of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family owned and privately held
    Generous employee benefits
    Creative opportunities for the company to grow
    Financial stability & strength

This is a company that I look forward to retiring at, where longevity is rewarded and contributions are valued. This is a true destination company that I wished I would've pursued sooner. Great people from top to bottom.

Cons

That I didn't start working here sooner.

5. "Company is invested in their employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI

Pros

FNBA's culture is very family oriented. Management is genuinely interested in seeing their employees succeed and they are usually very open to working with you on any specific issues you may have. They are invested in their employees and offer things like the company picnic, Christmas party, free book clubs with lunch, and more recently, sponsored sport teams.

Probably the best testament to FNBA is the tenure of the employees. A lot of people have been there for a long time, and several people move on only to come back because their new work environment doesn't match up to First National. If you ask an employee if they like working at FNBA, the overwhelming majority of people will give you an enthusiastic "Yes!"

Cons

This is a niche bank and it is fairly small, so if you are looking for broad experience that you can add to your resume and use to land you a better job this may not be the best place for you. Of course the skills you learn will be valuable, but the market FNBA serves is completely different from the Big US banks like BofA or JP Morgan Chase.

Compensation is a bit low

6. "Investment Analyst"

Former Employee - Investment Analyst in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Investment Analyst in East Lansing, MI

I worked at First National Bank of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

FNAC was a great place to work because (as other reviews have mentioned) you feel that your voice is heard and you're more than a number. The people who work here genuinely care.

Cons

Management, in some cases, lacks the ability to recognize the true potential in some of their employees. Sales are put on such a pedestal and with basically only having to pay commissioned salaries they are content to hire countless analysts and the let competition become far more fierce than it needed to be.

Advice to Management

Take better care of those who have been there a long time instead of pulling from their resources.

7. "Nice environment. Do not expect high pay."

I have been working at First National Bank of America full-time

Pros

Comfortable and supportive work environment. Lots of new office equipment and a new break room. Free fruit, bread and bagels/doughnuts each week. Decent benefits. Very good work-life balance.

Cons

The pay is much lower than industry standard or for what is required of you. Low base pay and average commission. Feels more like a Used-Car-Sales job. A good company to be at if you are part of a 2-income household. They have a reputation of paying people as little as possible.

Advice to Management

The company and the business model is great. At the end of the day, money is what people want, so new decorations only last so long in assuring employee satisfaction.

8. "Collector"

Former Employee - Collector in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Collector in East Lansing, MI

Pros

Flexible schedule for college studnets

Cons

Nothing that I found to be a reason not to work for them

"Family oriented feel"

Former Employee - Loan Processor in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Loan Processor in East Lansing, MI

I worked at First National Bank of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working for FNBA. Everyone was incredibly nice and supportive in your life and your career. They cared about your happiness. They move employees around a lot to different departments until they find you a perfect fit.

Cons

Pay is low across the board.

Advice to Management

Raises more often especially for very productive employees.

10. "work hard, have fun, prosper"

Current Employee - Multiple in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Multiple in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at First National Bank of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

FNBA embodies the best characteristics of a family-owned business. Ownership is involved and cares, while the management is empowered to run the business. Employees are expected to work hard and with a sense of urgency, but the demands are reasonable. The culture is properly summed up as "work hard, have fun, and prosper." Opportunity for advancement is great. You don't get forced into a narrow career-track.

Cons

The culture can be conservative/libertarian at times, which suits me but is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue recent progress in creating a rewarding and fun place to work.