KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of First Republic Bank and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great culture, great bank, secure practices

Jun 27, 2022 - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Secure business, top bank, competitive pay, growth opportunity

Cons

Recent executive churn, Flat hierarchy of middle managers leads to responsibility confusion

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Supportive, inclusive and fun

Mar 14, 2022 - Fraud Analyst in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

High expectations for personal performance, great pay, great benefits, team very helpful and willing to train or answer questions.

Cons

Upper management offers empty promises of support and understanding to employees in personal crisis. In my case I was having performance related issues due to personal matters outside of work and a recent diagnosis of major depression. Management met with me to discuss and referred me to HR to take advantage of the ESP but during the process of completing the suggested steps of having a provider complete FMLA paperwork and request for accommodation I was fired. Clearly they were not interested in assisting an employee they claimed they had concern for and an interest in retaining as they said. Also, I was a remote employee and sat for 1 month after I was hired before training for my role even started. When training did start it was poorly organized and my suggestions were basically in one ear and out the other. The home office is based in SF, CA and I was in Boston, MA. We had to contend with technology issues and the time difference.

7 people found this review helpful
  3. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

New Lending Services = Hunger Games

Apr 11, 2022 - Commercial Closing in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and benefits at a large bank

Cons

This firm supports venomous individuals who care first about themselves and not their employees or co-workers. My friends and I have experienced abuse from relationship managers and loan processors daily but after ignoring my child at night to cover their mistakes, they send an email to thank me to show how much they “value” me. I need the benefits and the job and until the last month it had not actually hurt anyone, so I’ve tolerated it, but I can’t anymore. Our Vice President is a predator who grooms others in a way to promote herself. She was upset last year and has attempted to subvert and sabotage, weaponizing people like me as disposable pawns. Our new Senior Vice President was announced, she worked in Lending Services several years ago where she nuked morale and violated labor laws. Our new Executive Vice President informed us of this change as he announced the elimination of a 20-year manager who was apparently involved in the labor investigation. They said it was a job elimination but all of her employees are still working here. Our Executive Vice President told us just a few weeks ago that he didn’t know anything about Lending. A few weeks later he proved it when he brought back the “leadership” duo that managed us at our lowest point. Venomous behavior is what is rewarded at FRB.

13 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best company I’ve worked at

Jun 24, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits are great and we receive incentives and OT

Cons

Work life balance can sometimes be challenging

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Love the company

Jun 21, 2022 - Senior Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Best Company I have ever worked for. Very focused on Employees and their well being.

Cons

Nothing I can think of

6. 5.0

Great Company

Jun 22, 2022 - Senior Registered Client Service Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment with supportive colleagues.

Cons

Took a while to accept a hybrid environment

7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great overall Company But...

Jun 20, 2022 - Consumer Services Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Bank being headquartered in SF does a great job of offering great benefits and perks that stack up well against the tech companies and start ups of the area. Great values and mission, minimum pay is 25/hr

Cons

Some departments, specifically those in customer support and operations can sometimes exhibit a culture of burnout and have high turnover rates because of this reason. advancement and growth sometimes directly tied to OT and how available you can be outside of your 40/hrs.

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great culture, lots of opportunity

Jun 24, 2022 - Senior Preferred Banking Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Lots of opportunity through internal promotion -good benefits -good culture

Cons

-Pay doesn’t always scale well -work/life balance is tough -lots of office politics and nepotism

9. 5.0

Best Company

Jun 10, 2022 - Trust Associate in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company genuinely cares about their employees and clients. Very team oriented - there is always something fun going on. Excellent management!

Cons

To my knowledge there is no cons

10. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

It's great for some, but it's not for everyone.

Mar 27, 2022 - IT Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and benefits, reasonable hours. Cafeterias are subsidized. Stock has performed well for those in the ESPP.

Cons

This is not a traditional relaxed banking environment, more like a frenzied start-up. Turnover rate is high in the first 30 days (the Bank offers a financial incentive of an additional 1 months salary for those who choose to leave or are asked to leave within 30 days of hire). The termination process for all is immediate, and there are no probation plans. The Kool-Aid factor is high, so you either buy in or you don't. If you don't you need to be really good to stay in your job. The Bank currently has a hybrid work model, but some/many employees feel compelled to come into the office most days. Some employees find their niche and stay long-term, but others find themselves in high burnout roles that are not sustainable for more than a few years. Customers and customer service is the top priority of the Bank, with regulators coming next, then investors and employees. The tone from the top differs greatly by department, so ratings for the firm as a whole may not be especially relevant. Has weird cultural traits, like no org chart for a company with 6000+ employees.

3 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 642 Reviews

First Republic Bank Reviews FAQs

First Republic Bank has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 743 reviews left anonymously by employees. 81% of employees would recommend working at First Republic Bank to a friend and 79% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, First Republic Bank employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at First Republic Bank. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

81% of First Republic Bank employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated First Republic Bank 3.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at First Republic Bank to be culture, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, career development, management.

Popular Careers with First Republic Bank Job Seekers