First Republic Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

James H. Herbert II

1. "Loan Administrator"

Current Employee - Senior Loan Administrator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Loan Administrator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company with great profitability

Cons

little advancement for people trying to transfer departments

Advice to Management

Make clear paths for advancement

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very informal culture. Everyone is encouraged to take risks and take opportunities. There is a fantastic mentorship program that allows you connect with senior executives. General culture is not to look at hierarchy before talking to someone.

Cons

Its still small and growing so it may not be as organized as the bigger players. But they have a fantastic team everywhere that goes above and beyond to get things done.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-This is not the place to work if you want to come in for 8 hours a day and perform the bare functions of your role. You have to be willing to work hard, and sometimes work very long hours. However, if you do, and follow the values of the company, this place will give a lot back.
    -Desire to always do the right thing for the client, whether it's internal or external, which allows there to be a lot of flexibility.
    -Entrepreneur mindset allows for individuals to come up with their own ideas and often the Bank lets them lead their idea!
    -Great people. There are a lot of people with the similar drive to do the right thing and move forward quickly, which allows the opportunity to get a lot of work done!

Cons

-It's about who you know, and sometimes less about what you know. That being said, a lot of the individuals who know the right people, also know a lot about their function or industry.
    -There is a perception of out with the old and in with the new, which can be positive, but also very negative.
    -As the bank grows, the ability to perform a variety of roles/functions is being lost. This causes the Bank to lose a piece of itself that people really enjoy and love. As we grow, functional silos are being encouraged (i.e. perform only the role based on your title, and leave your other areas to the functional experts), which makes sense for a growing organization, but also causes the Bank to lose some of it's charm.

Advice to Management

Continue to let your employees perform different roles in their current jobs if they are successful at it. The Bank is extremely successful and has some wonderful people working here. It would be sad to see some of what made the Bank a success disappear because of our rapid growth.

"FRB"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and support system from top to bottom.

Cons

Technology in the workplace is a bit outdated.

Advice to Management

Invest in a comprehensive CRM system.

"Senior Product Manager"

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time

Pros

Great People!! Flat organization.

Cons

Lack of Process and structure.

6. "Talent Acquisition Specialist"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First Republic provides you with the tools and training to have a legitimate growth path internally within the bank, unlike some of the other financial services firms in Boston. They invest in our employees' success. Their values are based upon exceeding clients' satisfaction and expectations, and I think that those values foster a positive and welcoming culture.

Cons

Bank is not as well known in Boston and NYC as it is on the west coast.

Advice to Management

continue to invest in Boston and NYC markets

7. "Senior Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Real Estate Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Real Estate Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic Bank (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company with good life balance

Cons

Slow growth and not much room for other career opportunities.

8. "Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company promotes and practices a positive work environment with great work ethics. The staff is friendly and collaboration is huge part of daily tasks. I have only been with the company for a few months, but it seems that there are numerous promotional opportunities and networking internally is highly encouraged by everyone. The benefits are average compared to other similar companies - not your tech-industry perks, but you get some perks such as a birthday holiday, subsidized cafes (in the metropolis locations), buddy program, mentoring program, kitchens stalked with coffee and tea, pre-taxed commuting or parking plans, 3 weeks vacation for non-senior roles, 3% match on 401k, stocks at 10% discount, etc.

Cons

Some roles do not allow for working from home at least once a week.

Advice to Management

Encourage inter-departmental training and allow staff of all levels to opt for working from home when time and work load permits.

"After working at a few big banks this by far is one of the best companies I've ever had the privilege to work for!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The teamwork and culture is something I've never experienced before. There are no silos and everyone is focused on the client. The pay is very competitive and benefits are amazing. Upper management treats everyone with respect and values the team.

Cons

Communication within some groups could use improvement. Changes are happening very quickly and sometimes people supporting the change are not notified in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

Ensure all managers are truly walking the talk through demonstrating the banks values through their actions. Recommend more team meetings so the employees know what's changing before it happens.

10. "Preferred Banker"

Current Employee - Preferred Banker in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Preferred Banker in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture and excellent work/balance life. I have a lot of fun working here and I feel stressed only because of my performance to do more for my client base. It's amazing actually. I do not feel confined to my desk and I feel entrepreneurial to perform exactly how I want to. I can color outside the box and be creative

Cons

I wish there were more training surrounding our client's professions (learning about equity firms, the lingo, etc) I think it would be helpful for bankers to really understand our client's enterprise and their professions so we may have a better understanding to assist them

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I really cannot think of any advice other than the company culture shows how successful as a brand we are. Do not forget :)