First Republic Bank 203 Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
First Republic Bank Chairman and CEO James H. Herbert II
James H. Herbert II

Pros
  • Great benefits to keep you stay where you are (in 11 reviews)

• Great people, smart and dedicated (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance whatsoever (in 14 reviews)

• Horrible scheduling no work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

1. "Let the Eagle be prevail."

Current Employee - Preferred Banker in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Preferred Banker in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The Company's culture reflects how clients feel about their bank: people are treated as individuals and each interaction with another is a unique experience in itself. Compensation at the Bank is highly rewarding. The Bank is a subsidiary of Merrill Lynch, sharing the excellent medical, dental, and vision plans with the parent company.

Cons

We are on our way to a second merger, set to close in Q109. Hopefully the acquisition by Bank of America will not compromise the culture which the founders have spent some time to build and maintain.

Advice to Management

Keep your employees posted with new developments with the acquisition.

2. "A great place to work for a lifetime."

Former Employee - Investment Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Investment Sales in New York, NY

Pros

Everyone believes in the mandate for high level customer service.
    Family-like atmosphere in many groups.
    Everything is done with style and class

Cons

Can be a bit clique-ish with those who have been there for a while.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work!

"FRC"

Current Employee - Personal Banker in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in New York, NY

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team, Senior Management, Great Locations, Excellent Client Base, Pay Structure, Expansion of the operations on the East Coast.

Cons

Not as technologically advanced as it should have been.

Advice to Management

Hire more people

"Great Team, Managment and Company Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, fantastic management (in my department) and a wonderful company culture.
    Excellent benefits, including its own Wolfgang Puck cafe that is HEAVILY subsidized.

Cons

Growth is eminent so change can be positive or negative - too early to tell.

"High Growth Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First Republic Bank is extremely focused on its corporate culture and stays true to its values. They host cultural off-site events for employees and offer subsidized cafes in most large locations.

There are lots of opportunities for employees that take initiative. Co-workers are extremely competent and focused on customer service both internal and external. Benefits are average but the total compensation is higher than average.

Cons

The company runs lean which is great for broadening your skill set but can be challenging when you are trying to balance work and life.
    There is not a lot of flexibility to work from home or remotely which would be nice occasionally.

"Never a Dull Moment: High Growth, Fast Paced, Meritocracy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people. I am fortunate to work with some truly amazing people who are incredibly smart and experienced and who have high standards for themselves, work hard, enjoy what they do and know how to have fun. I get to work with people who have a passion for service, enjoy doing the right thing and have a desire to help others.

The culture. There is a shared belief in the importance in and value of collaboration, the team, responsibility, trust, empowerment and accountability.

The pace. One of our values is quite literally reflective of how we operate: move fast, move forward. This creates a work day filled with a lot of activity and I enjoy being busy, having a lot to do and working in a fast paced environment.

Cons

If you are looking for a job or a company that is focused on a 9 to 5 work day, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain an ‘open-door’ policy.
    Further the efforts to visit other offices outside of SF.
    Promote the importance of the continued maintenance of the unique and collaborative service culture that is First Republic.

"Great people, great product: top notch service"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people who work here are hard working, smart, and pretty much everyone shares a common goal to provide awesome service to the bank's clients. There is opportunity to set yourself apart and take initiative...no one will ever stop you from doing good work just because it's not in your job description. Executive management cares a lot about doing the right thing for customers, employees, and shareholders, which ends up translating to growth for the company.

Cons

There's not really a set career path for most, so people who are looking for that or to climb a career "ladder" probably won't be happy here. You really have to create your own opportunities and pave your own way, and not care too much about titles.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, but try to focus more on making sure your vision and messaging are being communicated throughout the whole company by all the managers, or find a way to communicate more broadly yourselves.

9. "Personal Banker"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in San Diego, CA

I worked at First Republic Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are really committed to their employees and there is a strong sense of loyalty. Really amazing quarterly and yearly incentives. It's more like working for a community bank since you establish such a great rapport with the clients. Management is great and there really isn't any micromanagement. As long as you do what's expected of you, you'll do fine.

Cons

The clients can at times be a bit demanding since they are often very successful and time is of the essence for them.

Advice to Management

N/A

10. "I love working at First Republic Bank!"

Current Employee - Team Support in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Team Support in New York, NY

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Thre are many reasons to love working at First Republic Bank - the culture, the people, your opinion matters and you are empowered to make decisions. We truly live our values! The work environment is positive and welcoming. The team is knowledgable and hard working. I love that our opinions matter! Senior leadership takes suggestions and implements those suggestions that make sense. I am thrilled to be employed at this great company.

Cons

Our systems and manual processes can be challenging at times. As we grow we will need to invest in new systems and infrastructure that will enhance efficiencies and mitigate regulartory risk. Executive leadership is strong, however we need help grow the bench strength in the field and determine if all leaders are in the right roles.

Advice to Management

Investment in systems and infrastucture will help the organization prepare for the future and protect the enterprise. Create leadership classes to help grow and develop the bench strength.

11. "World class"

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere, unrequited learning experiences, great benefits

Cons

Need more clarity regarding uphill movement