First Republic Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"..."

I worked at First Republic Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Subsidized cafe, benefits, checking account, tuition assistance, health stipends, discounts to hotels, concerts etc, many great employees to work with (not all).

Cons

Management - They have too many expectations to meet but there is no foundation in how to meet those expectations. . If you are not meeting expectations, it as easy as them writing you up and not taking the time to work through it. You would think after many many interviews later, you would want to spend some extra time to work with that employee to succeed since it wasn't a easy process for them to get hired.

Executives- They are oblivious to what is going on with employees, such as why they are leaving or why they are not happy. You think with all the "Surveys" we have taken you would think some employees needs/concerns would be heard. They say they want to be there and they care, but really they don't have the time of day to do anything. They rely on their prospective managers who report to them to deal with it.

No work life balance, your job is your life, working many many over time hours, and no acknowledgement in the work you do.

Communication- There is ZERO communication.

My time there I've seen so many people fail at their job because they were not trained well, and managers just don't know how to be a manager. Managers expect too much out of someone who is new and also there is no training in place how is that person going to succeed at their job. It's sad to see why people come and go so often because a manager could not take some time to actually teach someone how to do their job. You cannot go into any job and expect someone to be perfect and know what to do. Its like throwing a new born in water expecting them to know how to swim.

Advice to Management

Managers need better guidance and foundation in how to manage a "team". If you do not know the process yourself how are you able to hire someone for that role. I would hope that executives will make more of an effort to get to know employees and hear their concerns, as I would assume they will want to know why managers are not capable keeping their employees. The bank is busy, as for any working company , but its not hard to make some time to make the working environment a better place.

2. "Senior Accountant"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Republic Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First Republic is definitely a different kind of bank. They provide great compensation and work/life balance to employees. I had to move due to family reasons from Bay area otherwise I could see myself working for the company for a long term.

Cons

Little behind in technology compared to other banks, but definitely catching up on it.

"FRB Update"

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong customer service focus; subsidized cafes; cares about people and culture

Cons

Outdated technology and dysfunctional IT dept; key senior positions given to political and inexperienced favorites; difficult to find work/life balance

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your staff are saying and make sure those in senior positions are truly qualified

"ClusterF"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at First Republic Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only reason I can encourage anyone to stay in an IT role at the bank is simply: health insurance.

Punch out at the end of the shift.

Cons

Success isn't defined inside the organization by any sane standard. The culture of the IT organization is simply avoidance and passing the buck. The employees who rely on the IT department feel frustration every day with broken systems and demoralized IT colleagues.

Cheap. Embarrassingly cheap for a bank sitting on a pile of gold. The salary isn't appropriate for anyone living in New York.

High turnover: Inside the IT department, it's a toxic world. At least 3 supervisors were fired or resigned, and the turnover trickles down.

No real chance to cross over into other teams.

Advice to Management

Hire experienced, capable supervisors that can be lured in by a challenge and appropriate pay. Allow them to recruit persons at decent pay or re-motivate people by offering new roles in the future for good performance in current roles. Fire the managers who guard their fiefdom instead of pursuing integrated success.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-This is not the place to work if you want to come in for 8 hours a day and perform the bare functions of your role. You have to be willing to work hard, and sometimes work very long hours. However, if you do, and follow the values of the company, this place will give a lot back.
    -Desire to always do the right thing for the client, whether it's internal or external, which allows there to be a lot of flexibility.
    -Entrepreneur mindset allows for individuals to come up with their own ideas and often the Bank lets them lead their idea!
    -Great people. There are a lot of people with the similar drive to do the right thing and move forward quickly, which allows the opportunity to get a lot of work done!

Cons

-It's about who you know, and sometimes less about what you know. That being said, a lot of the individuals who know the right people, also know a lot about their function or industry.
    -There is a perception of out with the old and in with the new, which can be positive, but also very negative.
    -As the bank grows, the ability to perform a variety of roles/functions is being lost. This causes the Bank to lose a piece of itself that people really enjoy and love. As we grow, functional silos are being encouraged (i.e. perform only the role based on your title, and leave your other areas to the functional experts), which makes sense for a growing organization, but also causes the Bank to lose some of it's charm.

Advice to Management

Continue to let your employees perform different roles in their current jobs if they are successful at it. The Bank is extremely successful and has some wonderful people working here. It would be sad to see some of what made the Bank a success disappear because of our rapid growth.

6. "Solid company to work for"

I worked at First Republic Bank full-time

Pros

Opportunity to work directly with clients.
    Pay was competitive.
    Great corporate culture.
    Great work/life balance

Cons

Technological growing pains.
    Lots of paper-pushing.

7. "Good"

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time

Pros

Good people and entrepreneurial spirit

Cons

Upward movement can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to ensure continuity of historic culture.

"Benefits and Paid Time Off"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at First Republic Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are very good and affordable

Cons

Some things unfair to non officer tier employees

Advice to Management

Make time off for holidays the sane for all employees

"Easy, great benefits, nice co-workers.. but certain teams have a very oppressive work culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Republic Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, supportive coworkers and boss, *most* people in the company are extremely friendly and inviting, lively atmosphere (for some) with company-provided drinks every other Friday for "social fridays," team of cooks make relatively delicious and affordable meals in the Eagle Cafe (subsidized by the company = very cheap, with wide range of cuisines and vegetarian options), clients and coworkers were generally very pleasant to work with, my boss made it very clear that when people came down on us that we could send them to him to stand up for us and the way we should be treated. CEO Jim Herbert is very down-to-earth, a sweetheart, and very accessible for being at the pinnacle. Lots of potential for quick upward mobility if you click with the right people. If you work on a good team, you will enjoy good camaraderie, support, and benefits, but if you work on one of the more stressful teams..... you need to be strong and willing to endure a lot to survive.

Cons

My role was not very challenging, engaging, or exciting. Going above and beyond my role, though I was trying to be helpful to the company, often worked against me. Stay in your lane, do exactly as you are told, and nothing else.. not a great place for innovators. Don't try to change the system. Very outdated technology. Though few and far between, certain people and teams are extremely oppressive and even demeaning. I had some very heated "discussions" with certain individuals where I was lampooned for things that were outside of my control. Some teams are ruled with an iron fist by bosses who are extremely harsh behind closed doors.. I heard of more than one instance where certain superiors made their employees cry with demeaning, unnecessary comments, which I find extremely inappropriate, especially for a brand that tries so hard to appear friendly and accessible to clients. The high stress put on certain teams takes its toll and drains the life from those individuals, who are, sadly, some of the highest performing employees in the company. I saw and heard of many quitting, being fired, or moving away from these toxic environments as quickly as they could. In these few teams, people feel that they have to take lunch at their desk every day, they cannot take part in social activities, and basically appeared to have terrible work environments. But again, this is only a very select few, all of which were concentrated on the floor where I worked. Everyone else seemed decently happy, sociable, and supported.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good, friendly, supportive aspects of FRB, but be careful with some of your top performing teams. They put an extreme amount of pressure on their underlings which results in a very poor work environment. I think they could be just as, if not more successful if they were made to understand that being a supportive, kind, compassionate boss can inspire people just as much as being an iron-fisted terror. Having a more accessible and perhaps proactive HR, where people put in demeaning situations could talk about what happens without fear of retribution, might be very helpful.. people feel too scared of losing everything to mention when they are treated inappropriately. Or when employees do speak up, nothing changes and the top dogs stay on top and some feel forced to leave the company in search of finding a place where they will be treated with respect.

10. "FRB"

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance, Competitive Salaries

Cons

No equity options, digital infrastructure is behind competitors