First Republic Bank Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

James H. Herbert II

"IT Program Manager"

Former Employee - IT Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - IT Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Republic Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First Republic Bank is growing and has plenty of money to spend on initiatives.

Cons

First Republic Bank is staffed with an unusually high percentage of contractors and contingent workers. While they pay well, there is constant turnover which makes it difficult to build networks of coworkers with long-term experience with the bank.

Advice to Management

Make some effort to reduce turnover among key employees, especially in technology and project management.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-This is not the place to work if you want to come in for 8 hours a day and perform the bare functions of your role. You have to be willing to work hard, and sometimes work very long hours. However, if you do, and follow the values of the company, this place will give a lot back.
    -Desire to always do the right thing for the client, whether it's internal or external, which allows there to be a lot of flexibility.
    -Entrepreneur mindset allows for individuals to come up with their own ideas and often the Bank lets them lead their idea!
    -Great people. There are a lot of people with the similar drive to do the right thing and move forward quickly, which allows the opportunity to get a lot of work done!

Cons

-It's about who you know, and sometimes less about what you know. That being said, a lot of the individuals who know the right people, also know a lot about their function or industry.
    -There is a perception of out with the old and in with the new, which can be positive, but also very negative.
    -As the bank grows, the ability to perform a variety of roles/functions is being lost. This causes the Bank to lose a piece of itself that people really enjoy and love. As we grow, functional silos are being encouraged (i.e. perform only the role based on your title, and leave your other areas to the functional experts), which makes sense for a growing organization, but also causes the Bank to lose some of it's charm.

Advice to Management

Continue to let your employees perform different roles in their current jobs if they are successful at it. The Bank is extremely successful and has some wonderful people working here. It would be sad to see some of what made the Bank a success disappear because of our rapid growth.

3. "Commercial Loan Specialist"

Former Contractor - Commercial Loan Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Commercial Loan Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Republic Bank as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I liked who I worked with. Social Fridays. The process I was involved with provided me with knowledge into other fields and processes

Cons

There weren't enough employees in the department I as involved with. People constantly working overtime to cover the goals set by management. Little to no on job formal training

"Easy, great benefits, nice co-workers.. but certain teams have a very oppressive work culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Republic Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, supportive coworkers and boss, *most* people in the company are extremely friendly and inviting, lively atmosphere (for some) with company-provided drinks every other Friday for "social fridays," team of cooks make relatively delicious and affordable meals in the Eagle Cafe (subsidized by the company = very cheap, with wide range of cuisines and vegetarian options), clients and coworkers were generally very pleasant to work with, my boss made it very clear that when people came down on us that we could send them to him to stand up for us and the way we should be treated. CEO Jim Herbert is very down-to-earth, a sweetheart, and very accessible for being at the pinnacle. Lots of potential for quick upward mobility if you click with the right people. If you work on a good team, you will enjoy good camaraderie, support, and benefits, but if you work on one of the more stressful teams..... you need to be strong and willing to endure a lot to survive.

Cons

My role was not very challenging, engaging, or exciting. Going above and beyond my role, though I was trying to be helpful to the company, often worked against me. Stay in your lane, do exactly as you are told, and nothing else.. not a great place for innovators. Don't try to change the system. Very outdated technology. Though few and far between, certain people and teams are extremely oppressive and even demeaning. I had some very heated "discussions" with certain individuals where I was lampooned for things that were outside of my control. Some teams are ruled with an iron fist by bosses who are extremely harsh behind closed doors.. I heard of more than one instance where certain superiors made their employees cry with demeaning, unnecessary comments, which I find extremely inappropriate, especially for a brand that tries so hard to appear friendly and accessible to clients. The high stress put on certain teams takes its toll and drains the life from those individuals, who are, sadly, some of the highest performing employees in the company. I saw and heard of many quitting, being fired, or moving away from these toxic environments as quickly as they could. In these few teams, people feel that they have to take lunch at their desk every day, they cannot take part in social activities, and basically appeared to have terrible work environments. But again, this is only a very select few, all of which were concentrated on the floor where I worked. Everyone else seemed decently happy, sociable, and supported.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good, friendly, supportive aspects of FRB, but be careful with some of your top performing teams. They put an extreme amount of pressure on their underlings which results in a very poor work environment. I think they could be just as, if not more successful if they were made to understand that being a supportive, kind, compassionate boss can inspire people just as much as being an iron-fisted terror. Having a more accessible and perhaps proactive HR, where people put in demeaning situations could talk about what happens without fear of retribution, might be very helpful.. people feel too scared of losing everything to mention when they are treated inappropriately. Or when employees do speak up, nothing changes and the top dogs stay on top and some feel forced to leave the company in search of finding a place where they will be treated with respect.

6. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Republic Bank (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People. Great Corporate Culyure.

Cons

Would recommend to implement more Training programs

7. "FRB"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and support system from top to bottom.

Cons

Technology in the workplace is a bit outdated.

Advice to Management

Invest in a comprehensive CRM system.

8. "Senior Product Manager"

I have been working at First Republic Bank full-time

Pros

Great People!! Flat organization.

Cons

Lack of Process and structure.

"One to watch"

Former Employee - Wealth Management in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Wealth Management in San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Republic Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High growth organization with many opportunities to get involved in different aspects of the business as the firm implements change to support the growth.
    A respectful and collaborative work environment.
    Firm is focused on employees and tries to stay competitive in that regard.

Cons

There's a lot of change going on and this may be unsettling for some. If you thrive on new opportunities, learning and a fast paced environment then this is a great place to work.
    The firm could do a better job of laterally recruiting and promoting from within.

Advice to Management

Be more open at every employee level about the strategy. Make sure everyone knows where the firm is heading, why and most importantly, how they can help get you there

"Management - who, not what you know"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Republic Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's the people and the drive for success that have made working at this firm a rewarding experience. The business model and work culture is like no other. The common bond is that everyone wants to succeed and most people are on board when in comes to helping out a peer. In the end it's the service and customer that are important.

Cons

Not what you know, as much as who you know, that sets you apart in this company. That goes for getting hired or being promoted. So be sure to play nice with everyone, because if you have a difference of opinion with senior management, your message can easily be seen as "not in line with bank values". Thats just a enough fear for younger people to not feel like there input matters.

Advice to Management

Really look at the people you have making the big decisions. The people at the top seem to take zero accountability for things they do. Recent events surrounding a large lay off in the IT department seem to suggest that an Oliver Wyman review was the reasoning for the removal of a lot of people. I find that hard to believe. Its easier to believe it was a popularity contest judged by three people.

11. "QA ETL Lead BSA Analyst"

Former Employee - Lead QA Actimize BSA/AML ETL in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lead QA Actimize BSA/AML ETL in San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Republic Bank (Less than a year)

Pros

great opportunity for career development and in QA to provide input on framework and best practices

Cons

great opportunity for career development in QA