First South Bancorp (NC) Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

"Branch Manager"

Current Employee - Branch Operations Manager in Washington, NC
    Current Employee - Branch Operations Manager in Washington, NC

I have been working at First South Bancorp (NC) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Community Bank which encourages building customer relationships. Great coworkers, and customers.

Cons

Short staffing which results in stressed employees who are underpaid. Benefits are not great.

Advice to Management

Pay employees more and care more about employees. Give better training like in the past.

2. "Credit Analyst"

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Washington, NC
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Washington, NC

I worked at First South Bancorp (NC) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people were nice and friendly. It was easy to get alone with others. Everyone was willing to talk and communicate.

Cons

Low pay, which should be higher. There are better opportunities at other banks in the area.

Advice to Management

Increase pay.

3. "Banker"

I have been working at First South Bancorp (NC) full-time

Pros

Relaxed, professional, non bureaucratic, knowledgeable employees, great hours

Cons

none, the job is a really great banking job

"Branch Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Branch Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Operations Manager

Pros

Lending - offers a lot more product offerings than most banks that set our bank apart

Great CEO - Bruce Elder was very kind and seemed to truly care about his teammates!

Cons

- The pay was far below that of other banks. Tellers normally start at just $10 per hour. Many Branch Managers make in the $35,000-40,000 range. Market Presidents only make in the $80,000 range so honestly there isn't a lot of money to be had. In addition, the bonuses inside the branch aren't even worth discussing. You are looking at $50-100 per month as potential earnings and the goals aren't realistic at all to achieve.
    - The company states You First - however, there isn't hardly any sign of actually putting the customer first. For example, the customer service hours are regular business hours. Many customers let us have it in the branch on Monday mornings due to an issue they had with our bank (we had a lot of problems with our online banking since it wasn't very good) on Monday mornings. They really don't live out the You First slogan well.
    - Many upper management are very poor leaders and short sighted. The new retail banking director was full of himself and too pompous to provide any coaching to (not a 360 degree person at all). His lack of leadership led to the retail banking leaders following his lead which led to a lot of problems to the branch teams below. Also, God forbid you make a mistake. The upper management will pile on you with full force as if they never made a mistake before. It's ridiculous, talk about walking on egg shells.
    - The bank was infested with gossip and back stabbing. A lot of it arose from the retail banking director and retail banking leaders. My team and I were actually lied to on two occasions and we verified from within. It was something that the upper management thought we actually didn't talk amongst one another inside the branches. The morale was low as a result and was and made it easy for me to look out and find another job to get out of this sinking ship.

Advice to Management

- Have you management teams treat others as they would want to be treated! Show respect, act humbly, have the heart of a servant and be kind! There was so much backstabbing, deceit and gossip around the bank at the time I left. I was so thankful to be able to leave the bank when another opportunity arrived.

"Commercial loan officer"

I have been working at First South Bancorp (NC) full-time

Pros

Not many. Nice employees. City exec was good.

Cons

Small minded leaders, conflicting information, good ole boy network, no training, poor communication of company's strategy. I could go on and on but my advice is look somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Learn what customer service is. Develop a consistent strategy that the employees can support. Invest in your staff.

7. "Good, but could be better"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate & Loan Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate & Loan Administrative Assistant

Pros

great co-workers, laid back branch, standard banking products

Cons

"jump in and figure it out" is something that happens a lot. You can call the same department with the same question and get a different answer for each person you ask. There really needs to be standard training for all positions.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees, make opportunities available to employees regarding training

8. "Strong Bank"

Pros

This is a financially sound community bank with a long history.

Cons

Complete lack of communication and appropriate training for new employees. It's kind of like "jump in and figure it out.....yourself".

Advice to Management

communication and spend some money on technology