KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

First Tech Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews about "credit union"

Updated Nov 22, 2021

Found 20 of over 389 reviews

3.7
First Tech Federal Credit Union President and Chief Executive Officer	 Greg Mitchell
Greg Mitchell

The latest conversations about Finance

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Benefits are great and First Tech really takes the feedback from employers and works to implement it.(in 47 reviews)
  • "good pay but not enough to cover the stress(in 22 reviews)
  • "Great work life balance(in 18 reviews)
  • "good people to work with(in 17 reviews)
  • "First Tech is a company with a great culture.(in 17 reviews)
Cons
  • "Many people were leaving from my area, and it was a direct relation to the bad management of a few individuals.(in 24 reviews)
  • "Clique upper management.(in 16 reviews)
  • "many of the managers don't think though all aspects of a project, which causes problems.(in 11 reviews)
  • "Management provides zero support, Sales training is absent, the computer systems are not efficient at all.(in 7 reviews)
  • "Favoritism is big on the IT Department between upper management and employees(in 5 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of First Tech Federal Credit Union and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "credit union"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Branch Manager

May 12, 2015 - Branch Manager in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

A company that truly values their employees and members. It is a really positive culture and the voice of every employee is heard. They are growing and wanting to move with the times by focusing on the future and seeing the value in good employees is key to helping achieve the success of the most admired credit union and employer of choice.

Cons

having just PTO- no sick time and vacation time it is lumped into one. Training does struggle a bit but there has been vast improvement and they are making improvements still.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee

Depends Largely on Management

May 25, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good Values, Great pay, Awesome Coworkers

Cons

Some of the Branch Managers come from banks, and are therefore used to the dynamic of sales in a bank rather than a credit union. Some of the core values get lost on the branch level.

First Tech Federal Credit Union Response

Thank you for providing feedback. Good values and awesome coworkers are a really outstanding combination! We continue to evolve our branches to find the right balance when it comes to sales and service. We encourage you to reach out to management with any direct feedback that you have.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Unobtainable goals & Cold Calling

Aug 22, 2021 - Financial Services Representative in Eugene, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay for local credit union wages.

Cons

Lofty Goals that are usually unobtainable, poor location with unsafe working environments externally. Forced to do all jobs internally, and usually would end with cold calling asking members for money for deposits.

Communications Manager

We’re sorry to hear about your experience with us during the 3 to 4 years you were at First Tech. We do everything we can to make sure our employees and members are safe at all of our locations, and will pass along your comments to the appropriate teams. Best of luck on your new endeavors!

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

May 14, 2020 - Credit Risk Analyst in Hillsboro, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, CEO personally contacts everyone and stays engaged with employees.Also, very good work/life balance.

Cons

Compensation is great but could always be better, however with a credit union it is understandable.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Communications Manager

Thank you for your review and for helping our members reach their dreams! We’ll pass along your positive comments to the appropriate teams.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

More like a bank than a credit union

Oct 19, 2015 - Financial Solutions Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Used to be a great place to work for...

Cons

Current upper management come from larger banks. Push sales and numbers over the member experience. Used to be a great place to work when the focus was member first, but now it seems more like working with a car salesperson. I don't blame employees for being unhappy. If upper management came from credit union backgrounds then I know this would be a top notch employer.

9 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

A culture to get behind, with growing pains

Apr 14, 2021 - Mortgage Loan Processor in Hillsboro, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture is very nice, a CEO who calls you on your birthday, lots of discussions of how your input is valued, and a good show of follow-up on those discussions. I know my team and am encouraged to know others across the credit union. Volunteer work is highly encouraged, donations to non-profits are encouraged and are often matched. Quarterly meetings with the executive team where the individuals we are serving are featured, and everyone gets an idea of how all of the company is working and how we are all doing really drive home the family aspect of the employees. Some large events put on to encourage everyone to show up.

Cons

Lots of family culture sometimes means playing favorites, some get more recognition for their efforts than others with the same amount. Family culture also means complaints are hard to convey with discretion and without feeling personal. While it is encouraged to view and see other opportunities in other departments within the CU, these can also have barriers/stigmas about going from mortgage Ops to Sales for instance. Rapid growth of the company means that not every department is built out with the proper support it needs and heavy workload falls on few people that are trying to cope with that. Too many hats for the same people is a very common story. Rapidly adapting to changing conditions is expected and understood. While the resources for you to be included in volunteer events and visit other work groups are there, it feels like the workload does not allow for such engagement to be properly facilitated.

2 people found this review helpful

Communications Manager

Thanks for your positive review and for everything you’ve been doing to further the credit union movement over the last seven years! We’re so glad to hear that you like the culture in both your team and across the organization. We take feedback to heart, and will take your suggestions and discuss them with the appropriate teams.

7. 5.0

Director

Aug 10, 2017 - Director in Beaverton, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

After leaving my previous employer of 19 yrs. I didn't think I would find an employer that would foster my growth and career the same. When I found First Tech Federal Credit Union I was immediately impressed by everyone's openness in sharing both the great things and opportunities. I was excited to join a company that not only puts their members first, but also their associates. I've been a part of the First Tech family for 1.5 yrs and can't wait see what the rest of my journey here brings.

Cons

There is a lot of growing to be done in the space of streamlining processes and bringing leaving behind the old manual processes. There is a lot of exciting opportunity to help change and influence the credit union to become even more amazing then they are today.

Communications Manager

We’re so glad you chose First Tech – welcome to the family! As you mentioned, we work hard to not only put our members first, but our employees as well, and we’re happy to hear you’re seeking opportunities to grow your career here. It’s no secret we’ve undergone significant growth in the last few years. We’ll continue our work to optimize our procedures to better serve our members. We’re happy you joined our journey – we look forward to our bright future ahead!

8. 3.0

First Tech

Dec 28, 2021 - FSR3 in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity to receive quarts bonuses

Cons

Poor communication between departments within the credit union and very political

Communications Manager

Thank you for the review and for supporting our members in the last year plus that you’ve been with First Tech. We appreciate the feedback around cross-departmental communication, and will pass it along to the appropriate teams.

9. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Gone too Corporate

Apr 16, 2019 - Mortgage Loan Closer in Hillsboro, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, easy finance systems to learn, good benefits, smooth process flow for mortgage department.

Cons

Lower pay. Good managers lack backbone to disagree with poor management to make a positive change. Credit Union environment was great until moving into new building. CU is going corporate & loosing that CU feel for employees. Micro management. Your individuality & ideas are not appreciated nor wanted.

8 people found this review helpful

Communications Manager

We’re happy to see the pros you listed, but are sorry to hear about your experience with First Tech. Although you’re no longer with us, we encourage all employees to own their experience by reaching out to their leadership or Human resources to see how we can better your experience. We’ll pass along your comments to the appropriate teams.

10. 5.0

Marketing

Oct 22, 2018 - Senior Marketing Specialist in Hillsboro, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Stupendous company culture. Staff are supported both by close associates and stakeholders to succeed, with the belief that everyone rises together. Growth opportunities abound; cross-department movement is possible for those with transferable skills. Employees are strongly encouraged to have a life outside of work, which is enabled through paid volunteer hours, tuition reimbursement and professional development opportunities, and wellness grants covering gym memberships and the like. This company walks its talk and means what it says about community involvement and giving back. The benefits are strongly competitive and additional perks are given for in-house financial products. I've been here for just a year but have many years of work experience elsewhere. I've never worked for a company that was so committed to employee satisfaction and work-life balance. Amazing experience so far among smart, motivated, talented and passionate co-workers. Senior management is fantastic—creative, innovative, success-driven leadership to bring the organization into the future of banking.

Cons

First Tech is currently the #6 credit union nationally, is growing fast and has ambitious short- and long-term goals. With fast growth comes growing pains, meaning that processes need to scale up and the challenges that effort can present can be frustrating. There isn't much downtime and the pace moves between fast and faster, which can lead to errors, rework and burnout. The benefits are strong but the salaries are a little lackluster.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Communications Manager

Thank you for your beautiful description of First Tech! We can’t help but to agree with all of the pros you’ve mentioned—our culture, career opportunities, work/life balance, wellness grants, community involvement and so much more make First Tech a fantastic place for our employees, our members and our communities. Like you mentioned, we’re growing at a rapid pace, which can cause some growing pains; however, we’re working hard to amend and proactively seek out and resolve these challenges. We’ll pass along your comments to senior leadership.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 Reviews