First Transit "passengers" Reviews | Glassdoor

First Transit Employee Reviews about "passengers"

Updated Jun 10, 2018

2.6
First Transit CEO Brad Thomas
Brad Thomas
Pros
  • "Everything is based on Safety of the Passengers and Employee's(in 10 reviews)

• "The benefits are great if you are full time and the pay is competitive for a call center(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very low pay for such a demanding job(in 21 reviews)

• "Long hours not able to have much of a life(in 14 reviews)

Reviews about "passengers"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Bus Operator"

Current Employee - Paratransit Bus Operator in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at First Transit full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a very professional company dedicated to Safety among all all things. Everything is based on Safety of the Passengers and Employee's. Also, it is very good working atmosphere, the Management is very supportive of the employee's with an Open Door Policy. Overall, one of the best place I have ever worked at.

Cons

Long Hours, Daily Work Schedule Changes (Start & End Times), All-Weather Working Conditions

Advice to Management

More Driver Recognition Programs and Pay for Down Time when applicable

First Transit2016-07-30
  2. "Beautiful clients, sad management"

Former Employee - Driver in Roseville, MN

I worked at First Transit full-time for more than a year

Pros

passengers, pay check, being outdoors, nice weather

Cons

Dangerously long hours, passive aggressive Dispatch, just too much

Advice to Management

Care more about us, the drivers. Actually train dispatch to support us, not hinder us, and to speak to us as adults not annoying 3rd graders.

First Transit2018-06-10
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Ungreatful employer"

Former Employee - Driver in Sayreville, NJ

I worked at First Transit full-time for more than a year

Pros

Helping the passengers who really need us

Cons

Management no sick days until one year of employment then you get only 2 days bad company to work for to much stress they don't appreciate no one please take any other job other then this one the safety department will make you a better driver however eventually they are the ones who will get you fired for some dumb write up they fell the only way they can keep there job is to find something wrong and blow it up... out of proportion don't waste your time with first transit access link it won't last a total waste of time

Advice to Management

Learn how to respect and value your drivers they are the face of your company

First Transit2017-09-03
  5. "Bus Driver"

I have been working at First Transit full-time

Pros

Covering the entire county. No two days are the same. Passengers make the job satisfying.

Cons

Hectic schedule for low wages. Medical too expensive to obtain with low wages. 5 years to make top pay that is below standard. Lead dispatcher has unethical daily practices. Training is a joke

Advice to Management

Treat employees better and listen to concerns. Offer better pay and training

First Transit2016-11-14
  6. "Working there is not about the Money or your Co-workers...Find your own motivation"

I worked at First Transit full-time

Pros

The only value I saw working there was simply just the possibility you may make a positive difference in the lives of your passengers. That's the only thing! But if you need the money, I think the schedule is best for people who need a source of extra income, or in school. However, not sure how long you will last soon as they figure out you are doubling up.

Cons

Terrible Pay at the time Hours and the rules were unreasonable most times. In fact it felt like they were developed to just create turnover.

First Transit2016-07-19
  7. "First transit Driver review"

Para Transit Driver

I have been working at First Transit

Pros

You get to see a lot of Washington DC and Maryland. And sometimes you meet interesting passengers . Sometimes you may get a tip but not that often.

Cons

The hours are way to long, the supervisors and management will be on your back for the smallest things. Also they're always spying on you while your on the road instead of just letting you do your job..the benefits are not good the pay is low but the company thinks it's good because of the over time .

Advice to Management

Management needs to have the employees back more when it comes to the client..and also give out more commendations.

First Transit2016-06-24

"Long, LONG days but very easy. Highly don't recommend split shift."

Former Employee - Para Transit Driver in Roseville, MN

I worked at First Transit part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy job as a whole, cool coworkers and bosses. Fun driving around and seeing new parts of town and I LOVED the passengers. You get so attached to their personalities and quirks.

Cons

It took all day even though you didn't get paid for all day if you chose/choose split shift (Agency) shifts. Great management and coworkers, though!

Advice to Management

Let people know it's not the most kid friendly job overall..

First Transit2016-02-20

"Nightmare of Epic Proportions"

Paratransit Bus Operator in Beaverton, OR

I worked at First Transit for more than 8 years

Pros

Only work here if you have no other options. The passengers are mostly great but the company insists on finding ways to ruin the job.

Cons

Management wants it to be the military. They are not able to think for themselves and have zero communication skils. They expect drivers to be mindless robots who never need a break or need to use the toilet. Management is unethical. They regularly ignore state laws, OSHA and BOLI regulations, falsify documents, verbally abuse employees, physically threaten employees. Sexism and racism are rampant.

First Transit2015-06-19

"Only work here if you have no other choice"

Former Employee - Driver in Irvine, CA

I worked at First Transit full-time for less than a year

Pros

You are able to go all over Orange County and you have the opportunity to pick your route. Also, you have the opportunity to pick up extra passengers.

Cons

Dealing with some of the other drivers and being a union employee. Sometimes your clients can be smelly.

Advice to Management

Don't become a union.

First Transit2012-09-17

"It's better to work at the unionized locations"

Driver

I worked at First Transit

Pros

Excellent training 4 new drivers. One real positive = nearly all manager started out drivers themselves, so they know what U R going through on the road - not like some employers where management has never done the job of workers they oversee. At my shop, were unionized through Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) and every penny I paid in union dues was worth it I got much better pay/benefits than non-union drivers... doing same work 4 exactly the same company across town, where they earn $4-5/hour less. The union gave excellent job protections + was fair across the board - if U were unfairly disciplined, they backed you; but if U screwed up on yur own violating First Transit policies or being unsafe, they didn't. (excellent ethical standards) Enjoyed my regular passengers and drivers I worked with. overall, a good place to be.

Cons

The driving schedules were impossible to keep. Company emphasized safety as #1 priority but then drivers had to deal with angry customers because they're running late.... and management even posted "on time percents" in office, which was hint that were supposed to make improvements. To be fair, no one fired 4 making late pickups, but only way to keep your sanity was to just accept it as it is, go out and just do... your best on the road, late or not..... because you DEFINITELY fired for accidents (especially if being a hurry)..... and was far better 2 be safe, dont push speed limit, get theirlate and try not to take it as a personal attack if passengers mad about it, and instead just do ur best out there and be at peace with it. That's only way 2 succeed and stay long term with FirstTransit, because scheduling department seems unwilling 2 change they way they schedule, no matter what, so just take it the way it is and B safe, don't get too upset about it. Also be prepared to for them to fwd customer complaints to you 4 being late, and U have 2 write written response back explaining it to management. Don't take it personally, just accept it, write polite response about heavy traffic + why they're delays, and move on. Not worth getting upset about it.

Advice to Management

Make the schedulng peopl do the driving scheduls SAFE FIRST, and POSSIBLE to make it ontime without stressng drivers and makng some of em speed. Saw lots of newer driver try2 go 2 fast, have accident, get fired. If UR going 2 tell them 2 be safe, then make em feel like theyCAN B safe by not pushing em so hard with impossibl schedule.

First Transit2011-04-06