FirstBank (Colorado) Reviews | Glassdoor

FirstBank (Colorado) Reviews

Updated September 24, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits and location in Lakewood (in 12 reviews)

• Absolute great customer service (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many job responsibilities that you aren't compensated for with very little work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Long hours, not a lot of flexibility on time (in 9 reviews)

1. "Senior IT Administrator"

Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at FirstBank (Colorado) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries, flexible hours in IT, great benefits, employee owned.

Cons

May be too structured and conservative for some, but is changing rapidly.

2. "Excellent Company to work for and opportunities for growth and development"

Former Employee - Loans in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Loans in Lakewood, CO

I worked at FirstBank (Colorado) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is very supportive of it's employees. FirstBank offers growth opportunities and recently increased their startling salaries to be competitive within the banking industry. Great health care plans and Paid Time Off.

Cons

The only con I have is if you work in the centralized loan department, they utilize a software where you independently have to self log each task you complete throughout the day. Then the management utilize this data for department changes and reviews. Unfortunately if you miss log something it could impact your efficiency in your job. It seems like there should be a software that does this independently without the individually self tracking would be more efficient.

Advice to Management

Review your daily tracking system to test is it is efficient. The staff learn quickly how to work the numbers and logging to make their productivity results appear to be inline with the job requirement. Resources could be better spent in other areas such as coaching and mentoring team members to succeed.

3. "Management Trainee"

I have been working at FirstBank (Colorado) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Prior to starting for the bank, I was actually really nervous about taking the position after reading the reviews on here. Now having completed the MT program, hopefully I can provide some insight. As many people have mentioned, the compensation is very generous (salary, 401(k), bonus, ESOP, and monthly "reimbursements"). The pay is above market average, but so are the expectations. There are also a lot perks outside of work.

The first six months will be a fire hose of information, so be prepared. You won't need to go home and study every night, but you have to catch on quick. You start out as a teller, then new accounts, then you start getting into loans. You will also learn some of the more niche functions along the way such as bookkeeping and collections.

The company has a very strong culture and can sometimes be reluctant to change because the current model has been so successful for the last 54+ years. There is give and take to this, and trying to explain it in detail would require a small novel, but overall, I think it is healthy to be a little cautious of new ideas. Any significant change in the company has a thorough vetting process, and at the end of the day, I personally like how the company is run. Some may disagree, but you really just have to work here and figure it out for yourself.

Many of the reviews mentioned work/life balance. You should expect to put in around 45 hours per week. For some this may be too much, but I don't have an issue with it. The PTO plan is very generous and I think that helps further balance things out.

Another huge pro for me is the company promotes from within. Outside hires at higher levels of management are extremely rare. The only way to become an officer of the bank is to start as an MT. Again, there is some give and take to this philosophy and not everyone will like it.

Cons

At the end of the day, I love what I do. I've seen MTs come and go, and the best way to sum it up is: it's just not for everybody. Some people don't enjoy this line of work, but that's nothing against them. I think HR does a good job with the interview process because the majority of the people seem to love it. This is one of the few companies where you can still have a long career with lots of room to grow. For me, this was a big deal, but others may want to move around over the course of their career.

4. "Great Company"

I worked at FirstBank (Colorado) full-time

Pros

Very fair place to work. They treat their employees well.

Cons

Can be a little high stress at times just like at any job.

5. "Online Banking Representative"

I worked at FirstBank (Colorado) full-time

Pros

Great culture and company to work for.

Cons

Lots of turnover unfortunately, but overall great company

6. "Associate Analyst Dev Ops"

Former Employee - Associate Analyst in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Associate Analyst in Lakewood, CO

I worked at FirstBank (Colorado) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment, 401k, ESOP, advancement encouraged, endless job opportunities from within the company.

Cons

I cannot think of anything negative to say about working for this company.

Advice to Management

I can't think of any advice I would give. I worked for this company for 21 years and they do an amazing job taking care of there employees and customers!

7. "Teller"

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Denver, CO

I have been working at FirstBank (Colorado) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people who work for firstbank are always friendly and share a sense of compassion for their customers and for the company itself. The benefits are great and affordable and the company gives little perks throughout the year to show how much you are appreciated. They will also pay for up to 3000 a year for college as long as you are studying writhing the finance field.

Cons

As for the cons, the biggest compaint I have is the pay. I have noticed that other banks in the area are willing to pay their tellers as much as $3 more starting pay than firstbank and also require them to do less work.

8. "Very good place to work."

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at FirstBank (Colorado) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Balance between work and personal life.
    2. People are very courteous and helpful.
    3. Management cares about customers, and employees.
    4. Opinions are well received.

Cons

Takes time to make any changes, as they are reviewed multiple times to ensure its accuracy.

Advice to Management

Nothing at this time.

"Poor experience with this company"

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at FirstBank (Colorado) (Less than a year)

Pros

Not too many, some people were nice

Cons

No work life balance
    Told not to ask questions even though this is a training program
    Told to lie to employees
    Told to violate regulations including HMDA and Fair Lending Act
    Not transparent with compensation plan or anything for that matter

10. "It was a great company to work for."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lakewood, CO

I worked at FirstBank (Colorado) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good training was provided. There were numerous opportunities to advance. The benefits were also good, including 401K, ESOP, health insurance and more.

Cons

It can be extremely busy at times, but that is also actually a plus. It's job security! You should enjoy working with numbers and be good at balancing.