FirstEnergy Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 20, 2017

1.0
Chuck Jones

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company generally has good people, good pay and good benefits (in 19 reviews)

• Employes receive good treatment good benefits and excellent pay (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Odd work hours and abundance of overtime makes it very challenging to have any sort of work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• No work life balance, forced overtime, very bad management (in 4 reviews)

"Needs new transmission system operations supervisors"

Former Employee - Transmission Systems Operator in Fairmont, WV
    Former Employee - Transmission Systems Operator in Fairmont, WV

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is good. Shift work pays shift differential and there is plenty of overtime if you'd like it. Was a good place to work for a lot of years.. could be again for people still there if they would do some changing

Cons

Very negative supervision. They like to play games with employees. And watch out if you're not into sucking up because you'll never be one of the group. You'll constantly get beat down if you end up becoming an outsider. On top of that most of the supervisors have never worked the desk or only worked it for a very short time. None of your senior management have ever worked an operator job but they will be the ones to set rules, guidelines and punishments.

Advice to Management

I'm pretty sure that seeing the other comments that management never sees these reviews. But on the off hand that they do existing supervisors need shuffled off their crews and all crews need a shuffle. There is too much favoritism and politics that goes on. You cannot be a supervisor and also be best friends with workers. It does not work and inevitably favoritism happens in big ways.

2. "Claims to be Above Reproach"

Former Employee - Engineer in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Reading, PA

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Thousands of square feet of empty cubicles due to staffing reductions after mergers means that there is always plenty of free space.

Cons

Corporate management will claim that regional management is above reproach, and company policy requires openness and honesty. Thus, if one's regional manager creates a problem that you must address with them, you will be required to address it (lest you be dishonest or secretive), and then you will be fired (because management is above reproach).

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to admit small errors to keep them from snowballing.

"Nuclear Engineer II"

Pros

Decent power experience that help you in other industries.

Cons

They will push you to try and sign off on projects that have the potential to harm the plant. A lot of people in management as far as supervisors and managers go in design are "yes men" and don't care at all about their employees. They'll throw you under the bus. They won't fire the corrupt and shady people due to limited loyalty so I'd stay away from this place.

Everything is 30 years old including the office. They never clean so be prepared to get sick a lot, I never had allergies until I started working there. The plant goes down a lot so you'll have to give up your weekends and expect no bonus. The incentive bonus program is a sham as you never see it because the nuke sites are always shutting down for something. The pay is low. Morale is always low because they don't even provide the very basics to make any employee happy. Benefits aren't good.

4. "Supply Chain Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Akron, OH
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstEnergy as an intern

Pros

-Gave me a great visibility of what the top companies in business deal with purchasing
    -Ability to learn SAP and very standardized process skills that can be transferred to other positions
    -Great resume builder!
    -Lots of other interns that are really fun and great intern events! HR works well with the interns.

Cons

-Management and coach provides little guidance to your performance and is non-confrontational so I got little feedback to help myself improve
    -I was told in my interview that I would rarely be doing data input.. that's all I ever did. So, there's a lack of honesty about the job description.
    -I was not seen as valuable to the company. My projects always got delayed farther and farther until it was too late to even start.
    -I was stuck in a corner all day and barely given any responsibility. I asked for more but was always ignored. Only take the job as a last option.
    -Condescending management. I sat next to their office and laughed about how I didn't know how to do something I never learned. Being an intern is about learning, not mocking the fact that we don't know much.

Advice to Management

-Create more inclusive environment for interns
    -Give clear and constructive feedback
    -Follow development program that is laid out
    -Allow for mistakes but also give opportunities to learn from challenges

"Don't leave your good job for this one!!!"

Former Employee - Meter Reader in Youngstown, OH
    Former Employee - Meter Reader in Youngstown, OH

Pros

Good work schedule Monday-Friday overtime on Saturdays was on a volunteer basis when offered. Immediate supervisor very helpful. Good co-workers. Working outdoors. Good exercise.

Cons

Have to use your own personal vehicle a lot of wear and tear. You are reimbursed for mileage but that doesn't come close to cover costly auto repairs! Hard to get in full time unless your in one of the few union shops. Looks like they hire and use a lot of contractors and let you go at end of contract. Expect to walk many miles daily. Phasing out meter readers jobs in Ohio in the near future just like they did in Pennsylvania-smart meters. No benefits for contractors.

6. "FE Review"

Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Akron, OH

Pros

All ariund compensation and ability to learn.

Cons

Regulation influenced company with no control

Advice to Management

Step back to review before making big decisions

7. "Customer service rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A steady job, not far from home, full time

Cons

They don't treat you as a person, you are just a warm body in a chair

Advice to Management

Act like you care, show appreciation, you get more out if employees

8. "CSR at First Energy."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Akron, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits and a good amount of vacation time. Having the opportunity to satisfy a customer and assist someone in need.

Cons

Management puts everything above its employees. It is not a good feeling to go to work and feel like you are unimportant because all that is important to management is making sure stats are being met.

9. "horrible place"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Reading, PA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Reading, PA

I worked at FirstEnergy as a contractor

Pros

some pros were that the hours were somewhat decent and pay was somewhat good

Cons

The company works there employees hard to the bone with no acknowledgement what so ever. I was a temp and was there for about 5 months, never missed a day or called off and was still let go. They play favorites on certain people and have no compassion for anyone. When ever you needed help no one was around to help you and they also don't give a crap about the customer. The company is all about stats and how long your on a phone call, they basically want u on and off the phone in like 3 mins..which is impossible. Some of the management will talk crap on other employees to other employees/management

Advice to Management

learn to have a heart and be more professional

"Life in a Firstenergy Fossil Plant"

Former Employee - Various Technical and Maintenance Supervicion Positions in Shippingport, PA

Pros

OK pay for the areas the plants are located

Cons

Bleak future, Zero work life balance, Little advancement oppurtunity in the coal plants, Not enough people, No back up to help you when need it. (you are often stuck there till its fixed)

Advice to Management

De-Nuclearize the coal plants before its too late !!! All the nuke programs and procedures without all the nuke money, people, and resources do not and will not work. Its takes more time and effort to make the BS plant metrics look good than it does to run the plant. Keep the coal people in the coal plants and the nuke people in the nuke plants.