FirstEnergy "outages" Reviews | Glassdoor

FirstEnergy Employee Reviews about "outages"

Updated Mar 16, 2019

3.7
FirstEnergy President and CEO Chuck Jones (no image)
Chuck Jones
Pros
  • "Good pay, advancement opportunity, and education reimbursement(in 22 reviews)

• "Good Benefits and Paid Time Off(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "You are treated like a number and expected to comply with any and all directives from upper management(in 12 reviews)

• "Get ready for 72 hour work weeks during refueling outages and getting called in on your off days to deal with urgent issues(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "outages"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Unique experiences"

Nuclear Engineer Programs Engineering in Oak Harbor, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy for more than 3 years

Pros

+ unique plant environment and roles + great coworkers + decent pay for given location

Cons

- very challenging advancement path - outages require 72 hour weeks for at least a month out of every 2 years - company's relatively poor market position and finances which lead to small raises that lag COLA

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining young talent as experienced individuals continue to retire. Compensation practices may need to be improved to entice younger workers to stay.

FirstEnergy2015-07-31

"Don't do it"

Former Employee - Nuclear Engineer

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly co-workers, employee gym, pay

Cons

I worked for one of FirstEnergy's nuclear generating stations for over six years. While I am grateful for my experience, after being gone for over three years and switching to a completely different industry I can confidently say that I would not recommend working here. First, get ready for loads of bureaucracy. You have to jump through hoops upon hoops to get anything done. Money is scarce. Management is top... heavy. New ideas are not considered nor even encouraged. The industry has failed to innovate in the last 40 years. Heavy regulations have squashed any room for it. Unless the problem will shut down the plant, good luck getting money to fix it. I saw the writing on the wall the last few years I was there, which is why I jumped ship. A little over a year after I leave FE announces they are shutting down all their nuclear plants. Surprise surprise. When I was there it was a toxic work environment. No one seemed to like their job. You are treated like a number and expected to comply with any and all directives from upper management. Get ready for 72 hour work weeks during refueling outages and getting called in on your off days to deal with urgent issues. The unions make things worse. It's nearly impossible to get anything done as most (not all) of the union workers are lazy. However, if you try to take initiative to get things done, the union is there waiting to file a grievance on you. I once had a Reactor Operator have a meltdown on me while he was on shift in the control room. Yes, you read that right - this happened while he was supposed to be operating a nuclear reactor. When I went to HR about it, it got swept under the rug as they didn't want to disturb the union. There is no room for advancement beyond supervisor level unless you want to obtain your Senior Reactor Operator (SRO) license, which entails multiple years of shift work in the control room.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation for your employees. Advance people based on results rather than playing favorites. Encourage new ideas. Embrace change. Stand up for your people. Start doing the right thing.

FirstEnergy2019-03-16
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Call Center Representative"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Reading, PA

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Getting a satisfaction out of the customer

Cons

Angry customers when there is an outage

Advice to Management

They need to pay their employees more money

FirstEnergy2015-12-29

"Life at First Energy call center"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management realizes what a difficult job customer service reps have. There is an excellent management team at the customer service center.

Cons

The biggest complaint would be having to be available for up to 16 hours at a stretch during storms and outages. The reps can't tell the customers anything more than what's available online or on automated voice messaging when outages occur during the night and off hours.

Advice to Management

Share positive comments with customer service representatives more often, not just negative feedback. Also, please do not monitor every single second of the day for phone reps as it is a very stressful job without having that added. Responsible reps are going to do their job whether or not they're being scrutinized every waking moment.

FirstEnergy2014-06-07
  6. "Great if you are in need of employment and don't mind working long-term temp."

Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Reading, PA

I worked at FirstEnergy for more than a year

Pros

Excellent training program - 8 weeks. Decent pay through temp service. Employee appreciation days (they had an ice cream truck come one time and gave everyone a small cone).

Cons

No benefits due to coming in through temp service. Told you would be hired within 3 - 6 months. Worked a year and then had contract extended. Need to work whatever hours they give you and mandatory overtime including weekends when there are outages. Not allowed to take any time off even if you have the flu when you are working as a temp. High stress...calls are monitored, reviewed, and graded. Need to be available... to take calls at all times when not on given break or it counts against you. You can't even take a restroom break outside of your scheduled breaks or your stats will go in the red. Meet with supervisor to listen to calls and get coached on how to handle differently (can be a pro and a con).

FirstEnergy2014-05-05

"Ok Company, no growth potential"

Current Employee - Energy Delivery Utilities in Akron, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great co-workers, clean facilities, 10 operating companies. If you are ok with just staying where you are and not advancing at all into a different department or to management it is a reasonable place to work. Fairly consistent.

Cons

No room for growth, no promotions, mediocre salary. If you would like to move up in your position this is not the place for you. Be prepared to stay where you are for a very long time. First Energy is always in a budget crisis and it always effects everyone except senior leadership and above. You cannot say no to storm work. Even in the event of family emergency. I was told my job would be in jeopardy when I turned... down outage work. Outages could last 16 - 20 days straight of working 16 hour shifts. No rotations or days off during storm mode.

Advice to Management

Hire within, stop promoting your friends, quit treating employees as if they are disposable, understand life/work balance other than your own.

FirstEnergy2013-11-04

"Customer Service Rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Reading, PA

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time for more than a year

Pros

OT available, Supportive co-workers, Decent benefits (once you're hired), Pension, decent pay for a call center.

Cons

Terrible management, micro-management, Unrealistic stats expected, No flexibility, Highest turnover I've ever seen-you honestly feel like you work in a sweat shop. Don't work here unless you desperately need income and you don't plan to stay for more than a few months. You'll work late at night, weekends, early mornings if there are any kind of outages. (And there always are because FE has grown so large that they... can't feasibly take care of their equipment). On-call weeks, be prepared to work holidays if there are outages as well. You can't bid out of the call center until after two years. You can't leave at the end of your shift until all calls are clear. You are told when to take your 2 -15 min breaks and your 30 min break. often times the bathroom is full or closed for cleaning so you generally get stuck not going. Angry customers on phone complaining about their bill, costs, lack of service with equipment and long call waits.

Advice to Management

Be realistic when training new hires. All we heard was how wonderful the company is. Nothing was mentioned that it would be very difficult to obtain stats required. Our class of 25 had 8 left after six months and one left after 2 years.

FirstEnergy2013-10-12
  9. "JCP&L Could be a Great Place"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Toms River, NJ

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Steady work with the number of storms and outages there is always work

Cons

Management is horrible, dont appreciate the employees. upper management is disconnected from the day to day operations. there is no trust too much manipulation goes on. Cant trust anyone. The environment is cut throat. The only thing that matter are the numbers they need to invest in the infrastructure to help avoid the number of customer outages they have

Advice to Management

show some care for your employees. get the managers to care about the workers and not just want the number to be high.

FirstEnergy2013-02-03

"Not for Everybody...."

Former Contractor - Customer Service in Fairmont, WV

I worked at FirstEnergy for less than a year

Pros

The center itself was very nice and put together, training process was very nice as well, the money was fairly good plus if you want overtime and crave it, this would be the job for you. Plus, they will provide food for you if you have to stay over.

Cons

"You have to find a balance between your work and personal life" was a phrase I heard all of the time. I felt like the balance 70/30 with most of it going to work. They warn you overtime is going to be essential but a lot of people don't truly realize how required it is, plus they may call you in at 2am to assist with outages and if you don't go in, then they will mark it on record and they will basically make you... out to be a bad employee.

Advice to Management

After talking to my current temp agency, a company who no longer wants to work with you, I find your policies for attendance, calling in employees, and firing people to be a joke (I was told people were fired for "asking too many questions" and "coming in to work sick" even though that person was afraid of being fired for NOT coming into work. Also, tell your supervisors to not demean someone for missing only TWO... days of work over a four month period for very valid reasons.

FirstEnergy2012-10-03
  11. "If you are able to give a lot of your personal time to your job, then this job would be great for you!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in West Akron, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very large company serving 6 different states, so there is definitely room for growth and job transfer if interested. Provides full comprehensive benefits package including company contributions to 401k, and tuition reimbursement. There is always work to do, a recession proof industry. Plenty of opportunity for overtime. Some departments offer 24 hour service availability and shift coverage.

Cons

Customer service reps are REQUIRED to be on-call (24/7) for a total of 6 weeks out of each year. Start pay does not closely match the responsibilities of the position. High demand on personal time (even when NOT on call) if there is a major outage condition. Higher than normal turn-over in call center staffing. Monthly cost for benefits for a family is too expensive to acquire on pay offered.

Advice to Management

Increase start pay to assist in acquiring qualified candidates and aid in RETAINING existing employees. Try to offer a benefits package that is affordable based on pay being offered.

FirstEnergy2012-08-26