FirstGroup "bus travel" Reviews | Glassdoor

FirstGroup Employee Reviews about "bus travel"

Updated Aug 3, 2019

2.9
FirstGroup Chief Executive Matthew Gregory
Matthew Gregory
Pros
  • "Good work colleagues and free bus travel(in 13 reviews)

• "Benefits of working for a large company regards to Rewards, free bus travel and discounted rail travel(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Leaving buses unattended with passengers on(in 12 reviews)

• "Passengers talk to you like something off their shoe(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "bus travel"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "All about the money"

Former Employee - Engineer in Norwich, England

I worked at FirstGroup full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free bus travel. Friendly coworkers

Cons

Cutbacks mean there are too few people doing the work leading to mistakes, which you are then penalised for. Management doesn't seem to understand that if you get too few people around, you aren't going to have the same level of service as if you had double the amount of staff, and shouting at those you do have won't make them work any better. Constantly promised improvements that never come, new staff simply don't... stay long enough to make any difference, but management can't seem to understand why they have such a high staff turnover. To top it off they are now selling the company, it seemed like a good time to get out.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, think more about the service and uptake of the fleet and less about the money in your pockets at the end of the month. If people are struggling, ask why that is and work with them, being negative doesn't bring out the best in anyone, it simply drives them away.

FirstGroup2019-08-03

"First Group Review"

I worked at FirstGroup full-time

Pros

Benefits of working for a large company regards to Rewards, free bus travel and discounted rail travel. The teams are supportive

Cons

Lots of restructuring every two years another restructure by the Leadership team this causes poor employee engagment.

Advice to Management

When considering a restructure listen to the employees in a genuine manner and seriously consider before ploughing ahead as you will loose skills within the sector.

FirstGroup2018-05-18
  3. "pcv driver"

Former Employee - Bus Driver in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at FirstGroup full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work colleagues and free bus travel.

Cons

The shifts are all over the place until your in a while.

Advice to Management

Listen to drivers

FirstGroup2018-06-02
  4. "Bus Driver"

Current Employee - Bus Driver

I have been working at FirstGroup full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Reasonable pay. Easy job if you can let any abuse wash over you. Abuse tends to happen to the same drivers. With Union we tend to keep up with inflation so keep our income steady in real terms. Free Bus travel. Reduced trains on first website on first trains.

Cons

Unless you've worked there for over 10 years or so you will be working shifts anywhere between 4 in the morning and 12.30 at night. you do a week of early shifts and a week of lates and you work any day of the week so you might have a tuesday and a thursday as your two days off in a week. Holidays are taken in full weeks and a summer 2 week slots. They are allocated and you have to find someone willing to swap you... their weeks if those are the dates you want. Cannot split your week up. Have to be really on the ball if you want to plan ahead otherwise you can end up with no social life and missing your family. Unfortunately bus drivers undeservedly have a bad rep. Small minority let the rest down but also with the public we are their transport to and from work and if we are late through no fault of our own they will still moan at you. I guess for some people it will slowly kill you doing this 5 times a week for 8.5 hours a day behind a wheel with customers looking PO'd with you. Just telling you the reality of it but you can understand the way people feel and its not personal.

FirstGroup2018-03-01
  5. "Good team, low resources"

I have been working at FirstGroup full-time

Pros

free bus travel, heavily discounted train travel

Cons

Low budget, no bonus or perks beyond 25 days holiday.

FirstGroup2017-06-12
  6. "First Bus"

I have been working at FirstGroup

Pros

There are some good benefits including free bus travel for bus employees and discounted train travel. For my role good working hours and nice environment.

Cons

Lack of specific information flowed down from Management. Too many organisational changes makes for an unsettled working environment. No career progression for many disciplines.

Advice to Management

I would advise more information about what local OpCo Management is doing. We have staff notices about central Management eg job role changes but not told about local changes, staff leaving or joining. Also organisational charts would be very helpful so everyone knows the structure of each department and who is who and where they sit in the hierarchy.

FirstGroup2017-04-08

"You'd struggle to find worse"

Current Employee - Bus Driver in Weymouth, England

I have been working at FirstGroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There was a rewards website until it failed and hasn't been sorted yet (several months on), free bus travel for yourself and two guests.

Cons

Initial training (if any is given, peak season they just throw drivers in at the deep end with no induction) is paid for, but CPC training must be done in your own time despite being mandatory for the job. Management are so detached from reality it's amazing that the business continues to run! Decisions are made based purely on money saving without any thought on practicalities. Staff are effectively told to put up... and shut up, management make no effort to hide their dislike and disgust for staff at operations level. One rule for control staff and above and another set for drivers unless your face fits well. Can't help but think the job would be made at least 20% easier if engineering department fixed faults with vehicles instead of bodging and replying to defects with "we know about it"... VOSA would have a field day! Shifts range from 3:45am-4:30am following day and can be ANY point to ANY point, often changing short notice or running to 11 hours. Once a driver, always a driver so don't bother applying if you want to progress.

Advice to Management

Shape up. Listen to your staff that are on the road dealing with customers, the staff that deal with traffic conditions, delays and complaints. Manage instead of dictate.

FirstGroup2017-01-12

"Bus Driver"

Former Employee - Bus Driver in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at FirstGroup full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only good thing about working for First Group is being eligible for free bus travel pretty much anywhere in the UK.

Cons

Everything. Working 50+ hours per week, not getting paid for breaks and having 8 hours between shifts. Due to being spare, you don't find out your shift until the day before. I feel the training was very poor so you're unsure of what to do in certain situations.

Advice to Management

I feel that management should look into the training and improve it drastically. There is a hugh turnover of staff due to the fact management treat the employees like absolute rubbish. The shift work should also be looked at, it's a joke!

FirstGroup2015-11-02
  9. "I love my job, perhaps a little too much!"

Current Employee - Bus Driver in Bath, England

I have been working at FirstGroup full-time for less than a year

Pros

Obviously the free bus travel is one great perk, but I love just driving around, there's a sense of freedom. I like the flexibility of the shift work, and they do have a great rewards package!

Cons

The training is very intense, they pile a lot of information on top of you within a short period but if you can keep up then its no bother.

Advice to Management

The organisation of the training could have been a little better, once I passed all my tests my licence should have been taken off me but wasn't so I had to hand it in to the Staff Manager at the station.

FirstGroup2015-03-15