FirstGroup "passengers" Reviews | Glassdoor

FirstGroup Employee Reviews about "passengers"

Updated Aug 9, 2019

2.9
FirstGroup CEO Matthew Gregory
Matthew Gregory
Pros
  • "Good work colleagues and free bus travel(in 13 reviews)

• "Benefits of working for a large company regards to Rewards, free bus travel and discounted rail travel(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Leaving buses unattended with passengers on(in 12 reviews)

• "Passengers talk to you like something off their shoe(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "passengers"

Return to all Reviews

"Could be better. Could be worse"

Current Employee - Bus Driver in Oldham, England

I have been working at FirstGroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent hourly rate. Travel pass. A long weekend

Cons

Rotas with no due care. Finishing late then getting up early the next day. One of the company's moto is their dedication to safety. Hmmm. Unprofessional approach to the customers. Which makes the driver look at fault most of the time. Leaving buses unattended with passengers on. With no spare driver to continue the route. So you just leave them at a terminus for sometimes 10 20 mins or however late the driver is..... not fixing vehicles. Sending out vehicles with dangerous defects.

Advice to Management

Get a new job. You're terrible 😊

FirstGroup2019-08-10

"Worst job of my life."

Former Employee - Bus Driver in York, England

I worked at FirstGroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free travel. And that is it.

Cons

Management. Passengers. Hours. Work life balance. Passengers talk to you like something off their shoe. As soon as you even mime a word back your in the office for a discipline. Stress daily. High blood pressure. 5 hours sat in a seat. Always finish late. Tired buses.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that do the ACTUAL job daily. And not sit in an office and think you know it all. You know nothing of what we go through. Sort out your Rotas and shift patterns. No wonder everyone leaves.

FirstGroup2019-07-12

"Worst job I ever had"

Former Employee - Bus Driver in Chelmsford, England

I worked at FirstGroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The other drivers were a decent group of people, very helpful to newbies and overall decent people. I would even include the controllers in this, who despite varying levels of competence, I always found to be fair (they are after all just a small step up from drivers in pay and experience). It's a disaster above them though.

Cons

They paid off drivers in order to change our contracts to worsen our terms and conditions, the union recommended we accept the offer and it passed the ballot, so we got a payment of a couple of grand lump sum, and in doing so, screwed over ourselves and worse, screwed all the new starters (who won't see a penny) with longer working hours which were too long already. I left shortly after, the job is very stressful,... the senior management is DIRE, awful shift patterns, the passengers are getting worse, expect to be shouted at if traffic's bad, expect to be threatened if you do your job and confiscate an out of date pass etc, and then after doing your job exactly how you were told to, expect to be hauled in to the office for a 'disciplinary investigation' because the awkward and abusive passenger said you were 'rude'! Staff manager only spoke to you if he thought he could discipline you for something, honestly I have never had a job worse than this, it nearly killed my passion for driving, and put my stress through the roof, the company just don't care about the drivers, you are a number. I found another job where I do not dread going to work and am so much happier. Look at lorry driving or stick to vans if you want to be a Driver! There's a reason they're always desperate to recruit and always short of drivers!

Advice to Management

My advice to senior management would be to make way for people more human and competent to take over, and let them do a better job than you ever could.

FirstGroup2019-07-06

"Such a disappointing employer"

Current Employee - Bus Driver in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at FirstGroup full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is very little about this employer which is positive. The new uniform is the most credible part of my current experience.

Cons

Prehistoric Union Reps. Being 'spare' meaning I don't know my shift until 12 midday, the day before. Old decrepit buses. Terrible attitude from passengers because they've had terrible attitude from bus drivers for years. Late late hours and early mornings which may as well be night shift for no increment in pay.

Advice to Management

Your allocations department at Glasgow Caledonia depot is rotting your business from the core. Ask yourself why there is such a problem with new drivers leaving, and finally ADDRESS that problem.

FirstGroup2017-03-29

"Opportunity if you want it"

Current Employee - Pcv Driver in Chelmsford, England

I have been working at FirstGroup full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity for progression if you push your self. Wage is reasonable. Supports it's drivers. Seven more words. There, I am done.

Cons

Culture of conflict and bad competition between divisions, groups and departments. IE, "Rail always comes first", "Scotland gets the good fleet", "No-one cares about the passengers", "Engineering always get out of lost mileage". Fleet needs updating and more preventative maintenance over reactive patching.

Advice to Management

The only people suffering at the moment are the passengers. It takes 4 months to get staff in, and 1 week for them to leave. Invest in staff retention, invest in morale, invest in preventative maintenance, invest in fleet, invest in giving your customers the service they deserve th l so that they WANT to take the bus!

FirstGroup2016-11-15
  6. "very enjoyable"

P C V Driver in Oldham, England

I have been working at FirstGroup

Pros

the people are very easy going

Cons

trying to get the bus on time for passengers

Advice to Management

be more approachable to drivers

FirstGroup2015-03-24