FirstMerit Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
FirstMerit Chairman, President, and CEO Paul G. Greig
Paul G. Greig

Pros
  • great customers and great co-workers (in 4 reviews)

• Great job great people, wonderful experience (in 5 reviews)

Cons

1. "Company didn't value non-executive management employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Balance of work-home life, little expectation to work long hours. Average benefits.

Cons

Employee morale was poor due to the constant drumbeat of cutting expenses and laying off staff

Advice to Management

None. Bank sold itself to Huntington Bank.

2. "Loan Operations & Servicing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flint, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flint, MI

I worked at FirstMerit (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k match, company paid life insurance 1x your salary, reasonable eye and dental care.

Cons

Besides the benefits, working for this company can be very discouraging. There are slim chances for promotions unless you are in a management or executive position. Raises are low, because profit is paid to management and the likes. There is an overall culture of laziness, gossip and favoritism and non-ethical behavior seems to run rampant throughout. ie: gambling, alcohol on the premises, use of racial slurs and profanity. Overall, a dodgy company to do business with or work for.

Advice to Management

Be observant, because there is always someone watching your behavior. Value your employees, quit fratronizing and showing partial treatment to "friends" and use professional language while on company grounds.

3. "Credit Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Flint, MI

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

5 weeks of PTO, casual dress code

Cons

poor medical benefit options and coverage

Advice to Management

start from scratch, look to successful company's culture

"Dont work for this failing company!"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people I worked with in the management level were great people. Problem is, this company is so behind the times with technologhy they can't compete with other banks.

Cons

Just an awful business model. Mark my words- Some time in the near future it will be known that officers of this bank have falsified quarterly earnings data. They claim to make these massive profits but all the profitable customers have been leaving in droves for years now. I've seen with my own eyes how this bank works from top to bottom and I can assure you that shady business is common place.

Advice to Management

Move on from the current MI president. He has proved to lack integrity and trust. Also, don't celebrate finally getting running balances for your online customers in 2015 when every other bank has been doing this since the '90s.

"loan specialist"

Former Employee - Loan Specialist in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Loan Specialist in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstMerit full-time

Pros

I wasted 10 years of my life there and can't think of 1 pro

Cons

I worked in several positions in this company over 10 years and in each area all this company ever cares about it the customers with the highest volume of money. They do not care at all about the smaller compamies or individuals that do not have millions of dollars with them. Managers are rude and will blow off customers a lot of the time. The managers will also try to turn employees against each other if there is a person that they do not like. I would not recommend this bank to any customer nor to anyone interested in working there. They treat their employees very poorly. Managers get to pick their favorite employees to give half decent raises too and everyone else gets pennies for raises. It is all a game on how much you suck up, not about the work you do and this has been an experience by many other employees I have talked to as well in several different departments and branches. Save yourself the stress and headache, whether you are a customer or potential employee and go to a bank that actually cares about all their customers because let's face it, most of us aren't millionaires but that doesn't mean we should be treated so poorly.

Advice to Management

Stop buying banks in other states. Customers are getting mad and you will never be able to compete with the bigger banks such as chase and pnc

"I worked here for 19 years..... Never been treated so badly"

Former Employee - Senior Teller in Iron River, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Teller in Iron River, MI

Pros

Co-workers were fabulous! Clients were like family.

Cons

Manager who had no knowledge what so ever! Push Push Push to make an almighty dollar for the company, but low pay and very little reward for the employee making the sale, managers made a much better incentive, how is that fair? Poor staffing, way understaffed, forced to work through lunches, no breaks, had to reschedule vacations (per manager forcing). FirstMerit took over our former bank, in the past 19 years we had 5 takeovers, this was the worst one! I have never been happier since I left that place. I would not recommend anyone to work or bank there! Their customer service is pretty nonexistent, they don't care about the client, only the dollars to be made.

Advice to Management

Listen to the little people behind the line, respect them, treat them better, perhaps take a good look at your branches as individuals not as a whole to provide better customer service and improve your employee morale! Have upper management that cares and lsitens!

"Incompetent upper management"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mostly good caring mid level people.

Cons

Awful high level execs who have their respective heads up their arse.

Advice to Management

Have a direction for your company.

"Management Top Heavy and Uncaring"

Current Employee - Commercial Lender in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Commercial Lender in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People who work there are top notch. Wide Product Range and Good Marketing

Cons

Top Management is out for itself. It has no concern for employees or customers. All they care about is profits. Heavy on Top Managers who create their own silos. Line People have no authority or decision making capabilities. They want you to be a robot.

Advice to Management

Understand you are still a small local bank and not the large bank they think they are. Eliminate some layers of unneeded management and decision making.

"NOT A GREAT PLACE TO WORK AT"

Current Employee - Client Champion in Grand Blanc, MI
    Current Employee - Client Champion in Grand Blanc, MI

I have been working at FirstMerit part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great co-workers, the clients are great. I do think there are a few fellow co-workers that would definitely throw you under the bus if it would benefit them.

Cons

Terrible work environment, awful management, non supportive work environment. Still using DOS.

Advice to Management

Try and make your employees feel like they are appreciated. It seems that you always remind us of what we are doing wrong instead of complimenting us on what we are doing right. I think upper management talks out of both sides of their mouths. They seem to make you think they like you just to gain your trust, then treat you horribly afterward. This company is terrible.
    CITIZENS BANK WAS A MUCH BETTER PLACE TO WORK FOR, AND I THINK MANAGEMENT TRULY CARED ABOUT YOU. FIRST MERIT NOT SO MUCH....

"Work Experience at First Merit"

Former Employee - CC3 in Flint, MI
    Former Employee - CC3 in Flint, MI

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are good people and make the day enjoyable

Cons

Terrible systems
    Doesn't care about their employees