FirstMerit Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
FirstMerit Chairman, President, and CEO Paul G. Greig
Paul G. Greig

Pros
  • great customers and great co-workers (in 4 reviews)

• Great job great people, wonderful experience (in 5 reviews)

Cons

"sales sales sales customer service non existant"

Former Employee - Universal Banker in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Universal Banker in Aurora, IL

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Close to my home. Really that is it.

Cons

We are nothing but your G number. You are expected to sell sell sell, but your products are the worst. I have 16 yrs banking experience.this is by far the worst company I ever worked for. Could not give your employees a increase but managment did. My branch manager was clueless, she thought calling people honey would get her by and it worked. Teller system is ancient update!!!!!

Advice to Management

Get a clue! appreciate your staff and your branches are vacant. Staff your branches.

2. "Horrible"

I have been working at FirstMerit part-time

Pros

Can not think of any

Cons

Very outdated slow computer system

"Very hostile work environment"

Former Employee - Senior Client Champion in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Client Champion in Chicago, IL

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Other than the monday thru friday work hours no pros. Thankful they offered me a job when I needed it.

Cons

The Chicago management team is by far the most incompetent work of people I have worked for. I have been in banking for over 10 years and I have never seen such level of incompetency.
    Very hostile work environment.
    Only people who seem to get ahead are those who become best friends with the higher management team.
    Very discouraging working conditions.
    Very incompetent branch management.
    Very incompetent business partners.
    Really high turn over due to the lack of knowledge and lack of business sense.
    Seems like most of the managers are here for good and for the most parts are managers who are given a secon chance in management and cannot get a job else where making a very hostile environment to work in when you are trying to get ahead in your role.
    HR in Chicago is the worst. Even when you report anomalies and incidents at the office, they will not do anything about it.
    They don't have and easy to follow incentive program.
    They have very very old systems and it is very easy to loose track of things.

Advice to Management

Should consider to review the Chicago management team. If the branches are ranking low and loosing money is beacuse on an obvious reason.

"Work Experience at First Merit"

Former Employee - CC3 in Flint, MI
    Former Employee - CC3 in Flint, MI

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are good people and make the day enjoyable

Cons

Terrible systems
    Doesn't care about their employees

"Unimpressive management"

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A pay check and a stable exmployer

Cons

Management is terrible. Communication is almost non-existent

Advice to Management

Sell the bank

"DO NOT APPLY AT THIS BANK"

Current Employee - Client Champion
    Current Employee - Client Champion

I have been working at FirstMerit part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely NONE. I truly cannot believe how ignorant upper management is. If you are thinking of applying for a teller job just save yourself the hassle.

Cons

Just about every single aspect of the company. The teller system is ancient! We use DOS... yes as In DOS from the 80's. All management cares about is sales YET they don't want to staff their branches accordingly. As a teller you better have your referrals or you will be getting written up.

Advice to Management

Get a clue and at least pretend to care about the employees that YOU hire. If you want sales start making products that are sell able. Tellers cannot sell products when they are working for a company that treats them like pieces of crap.

"NOT A GREAT PLACE TO WORK AT"

Current Employee - Client Champion in Grand Blanc, MI
    Current Employee - Client Champion in Grand Blanc, MI

I have been working at FirstMerit part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great co-workers, the clients are great. I do think there are a few fellow co-workers that would definitely throw you under the bus if it would benefit them.

Cons

Terrible work environment, awful management, non supportive work environment. Still using DOS.

Advice to Management

Try and make your employees feel like they are appreciated. It seems that you always remind us of what we are doing wrong instead of complimenting us on what we are doing right. I think upper management talks out of both sides of their mouths. They seem to make you think they like you just to gain your trust, then treat you horribly afterward. This company is terrible.
    CITIZENS BANK WAS A MUCH BETTER PLACE TO WORK FOR, AND I THINK MANAGEMENT TRULY CARED ABOUT YOU. FIRST MERIT NOT SO MUCH....

"DO NOT APPLY"

Current Employee - Cc1
    Current Employee - Cc1

I have been working at FirstMerit part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customers are delightful..... The only positive is my co-workers. However, there are a couple of them that would throw you under the bus to benefit their own agenda

Cons

Upper management, bullies to their employees, they always make you feel like crap, and you get written up for everything. They are just awful. They force managers to write bad performance reviews if they don't like you, and move people around to other branches without even asking them, they just tell you, you have to go or else you don't have a job. Rude people...

Advice to Management

Be more supportive and reward your employees, with out them you would not have a bank!!!

"Don't Work Here; Don't Bank Here"

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They've usually got openings if you're looking for work. Locations across five states. Branches are staffed by friendly people. Benefits are OK.

Cons

Just about everything. Company is focused on one thing - profits. Absolutely everything else comes in a distant second (customers, employees, service). Upper management makes a lot of promises and delivers on almost none of them. Focuses on new accounts and never seems to worry about all the accounts going out the backdoor. Teller system was old ten years ago. Supposed to have a new system coming in, but date keeps getting pushed further back. Employees are replaceable and they let you know that. Watch for branch staffing cutbacks coming in the not too distant future.

Advice to Management

Corporate culture is toxic. Corporate departments don't understand the concept of good customer service, let alone exceptional customer service. Until a change comes from the top down, I see no chance that this company will change. CEO and those that are his direct reports need to go.

"Management Top Heavy and Uncaring"

Current Employee - Commercial Lender in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Commercial Lender in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time (More than 10 years)