FirstMerit Teller Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
FirstMerit Chairman, President, and CEO Paul G. Greig
Paul G. Greig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great job great people, wonderful experience (in 5 reviews)

• Really respects opinion and work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Outdated teller system, too many Sales Quotas (in 5 reviews)

• Bad upper management need to get it together (in 4 reviews)

1. "Some helpful information"

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Detroit, MI

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are extremely great at training people in for the job they are hired for or promoted too. That's if you get a good trainer.

Cons

Do not get paid enough for the work you do for this bank. Not enough recognition for any one lower on the totem poll, without us FirstMerit would definitely not be as successful.

Advice to Management

Show your employees some gratitude.

2. "Customer Champion"

Current Employee - Teller in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Teller in Flint, MI

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love my cliental and coworkers

Cons

They only care about the sales! You are disposable. Branches are always short handed.

Advice to Management

Interact with your clients and employees. Get out of the office for once. Learn to actually manage.

"Most non caring employer have ever worked for, would never suggest anyone I know work here nor bank here"

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly customers, and employees...had issues with the manager as she was not knowledgeable and should not be in the position she holds. Would throw an employee under the bus in a heartbeat to benefit herself.

Cons

Being understaffed to the point that other employees are not allowed time for a break, lack of help within other offices. This is a disservice to staff as well as customers. Want employees to offer products services in an aging community. While wanting the new accounts don't care about accounts which are leaving. See many of the smaller branches closing up as most are in close proximity to each other. Care only about the profit, no appreciation for employees.

Advice to Management

Update your antiquated system, don't know anywhere that operates on the DOS system. Train management so that they are knowledgeable and can help their employees. Treat employees like they matter, and they will, quick to find fault, yet not so much on appreciating suggestions or listening to employees feedback.

"I worked here for 19 years..... Never been treated so badly"

Former Employee - Senior Teller in Iron River, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Teller in Iron River, MI

Pros

Co-workers were fabulous! Clients were like family.

Cons

Manager who had no knowledge what so ever! Push Push Push to make an almighty dollar for the company, but low pay and very little reward for the employee making the sale, managers made a much better incentive, how is that fair? Poor staffing, way understaffed, forced to work through lunches, no breaks, had to reschedule vacations (per manager forcing). FirstMerit took over our former bank, in the past 19 years we had 5 takeovers, this was the worst one! I have never been happier since I left that place. I would not recommend anyone to work or bank there! Their customer service is pretty nonexistent, they don't care about the client, only the dollars to be made.

Advice to Management

Listen to the little people behind the line, respect them, treat them better, perhaps take a good look at your branches as individuals not as a whole to provide better customer service and improve your employee morale! Have upper management that cares and lsitens!

5. "I enjoyed working here as a teller."

Former Employee - Teller in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Teller in Canton, OH

I worked at FirstMerit part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, nice co-workers. Loved getting to know people in the community.

Cons

Standing for long times, needing to "sell" clients on investments

6. "Fast-paced and stressful"

Former Employee - Teller in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Teller in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No sales quota, opportunities for career advancement, decent pay, works with students schedules. The ability to pick up more hours and work overtime was a huge plus. I went to many different branches to help out whomever was short staffed.

Cons

no job security and horrible loss prevention. They do not adequately train anyone with the exception of the personal bankers about First Merit products aside from checking accounts. Until I left to go to another bank did I realize how far behind First Merit is in product knowledge. As a teller at a competing bank, I know everything from our checking/savings accounts, to our lines of credit, investments and business cash flows.

Advice to Management

Stop making your employees work off the clock. You cut the ABM's out of a job to save expenses yet bought out other branches for expansion. The job duties of an ABM were so extensive that you should have cut the bankers before the Assistant Brand Managers and trained them to open accounts and close loans.

"Great expectations for employees, but relatively poor support,compensation, and leadership."

Former Employee - Teller in Medina, OH
    Former Employee - Teller in Medina, OH

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Serving customers is generally a joy. There are a lot of people that don't know any better than to use a credit union.

Cons

The teller system is easily the worst in the industry. It is literally the only bank still using MSDos. Expectations are high to sell, sell, sell. If you don't, expect to get squeezed out. There is always someone looking over your shoulder. If you don't get it right - expect to hear about it. Mission Onward was marketed as some sort of pro-worker program, but turned out to be the end for well over 300 jobs.

Advice to Management

How about a new teller system? It would make for a more humane and productive workplace. It's the right thing to do - even if it doesn't look good for profits-and-losses. People would appreciate if wages weren't the bottom rung of the industry.

8. "Working at a Neighborhood Bank"

Former Employee - Back Up Teller in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Back Up Teller in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Employees are nice, they treat you with respect and make you feel a part of the team. Great place to work.

Cons

First Merit bank is a small neighborhood bank. There is not a lot of opportunity to move up in the corporation unless you live in Akron. People dont tend to leave their positions there to allow new openings

Advice to Management

I like how the management throughout the corporation make you feel special. They are there to help build you and make their team stronger.

"Qualifications won't do anything for you if Management doesn't love you"

Former Employee - Teller Supervisor/CRSIII
    Former Employee - Teller Supervisor/CRSIII

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work schedule
    Flexible PTO
    HR holds people responsible even if upper Management doesn't

Cons

-Pay is far below industry standard
    -No matter how well you perform at your job, you'll be pushed out if your District Manager doesn't like you
    -Incredibly difficult to learn across departments; no mentoring
    -Uniforms make you look like a Catholic schoolboy
    -Ultra-conservative policies and outdated systems make servicing customers efficiently challenging
    -Employees are expected to go above and beyond every single day, but the company holds no loyalty to its own employees.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like qualified professionals, not poorly-paid mercenaries to use and abuse.