Fishbowl Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dev Ganesan

Pros
  • Fantastic atmosphere, great people to work with, lots of free food (in 9 reviews)

• The compensation and work/life balance is pretty good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • We are experiencing some normal growing pains (in 5 reviews)

• New management team has shaken things up (in 5 reviews)

1. "Fun place to work"

Former Employee - Production Specialist in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Production Specialist in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture, casual attire, excellent management from CEO down

Cons

Entry level position, but pay was a little on the low side. Overtime pay also

"Think Twice"

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall the people are nice and some immediate supervisors try to make improvements, bagels on Fridays, nice location.

Cons

Everyone is overworked. Compensation does not meet workload and expectations. Clients are demanding and you don't get much support from management. Many things are being outsourced to India which made getting work done difficult because of the time change and training. Most of my immediate coworkers seemed unhappy and stressed the majority of the time. The team was a revolving door because everyone leaves and then management doesn't let the positions get filled and it makes it more stressful. The communication between teams (marketing consultants, implementation and client support) is a mess.

Advice to Management

All outsourcing to India did was cause more stress on the worker bees, care about employees, even out the workload. Make the teams work better together--the clients are the ones that suffer because of under-staffing and poor communication within teams.

"Good, but not so good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was OK, majority of people are cool to work with, company did pay for half of parking.

Cons

Training does not exist, and that fact that employees need to pay for half of the parking shouldn't be, company could pay for all parking

"This Company is Shady"

I worked at Fishbowl Marketing full-time

Pros

Friendly employees, free bagels and the large patio overlooking Potomac River. Telework.

Cons

Management is not concerned with their employees. Only mission is to save money and outsource to India. A lot of great employees have been laid off because of this.

6. "Opportunities Are Here for Those Who Thrive in Fast Paced Environments"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Fishbowl Marketing full-time

Pros

Ability for a flexible work schedule though you'll likely work over 40 hours a week no matter your position. Even with an influx of new people, everyone has a great personality and working towards a common goal. Opportunities exist for those who like to dig and get it done without it being handed to you.

Cons

As mentioned in other reviews, our product is a work in progress. There are a lot of truths in the reviews but I think they are a bit unfair even though I'm one of those "dreaded marketing and sales" individuals that were critiqued. The reality is, we and our competitors are going through the same growing pains right now as we all transition to analytical driven insights for restaurants and retailers. The company had to adapt to the needs of our clients and though it hasn't been smooth sailing, to say the company has lost its way or a shell of itself is irresponsible. Change is hard and unfortunately, most do not like it.

Advice to Management

Stay the course and keep the pedal to the metal. One critique, transparency should be better and would recommend consistent messaging on keeping people in the loop with organizational changes. This has only gotten incrementally better this year and needs to be a focus everyday.

"Used to be an amazing place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location and view from the balcony

Cons

Executives are clueless. What was once an amazing place to work has become a shell of its former self. Ever since the CEO change, the company has gone downhill. Layoffs happen left and right to make the company look more profitable for potential investors or buyers.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Communicate your vision. That's if you have one.

"It makes me sad to see what's become of this place"

Former Employee - Sales in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Sales in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Once upon a time, Fishbowl was an epicenter of great culture, happy people, and excited clients. People worked hard and were genuinely excited to come to the office--it was like hanging out with your closest friends every day and working towards a common goal. Throw in the occasional office party for holidays, a great view, and bagels every Friday, and it was truly an awesome place to build a career.

Cons

I haven't worked at Fishbowl since about a year ago (willingly left when things started to sour). At the time I left, it was evident that the new regime was only invested in a get-rich-quick scheme. They didn't care about any of the people who were there, and immediately let go of a bunch of really strong professionals--many of whom were very accomplished before coming to Fishbowl and will be successful wherever they end up next. Since then, there has been a lot of outsourcing of work to India, and incompetent fat-cats hired to important positions (namely the CTO). If you're thinking about working here, my advice is simple: don't. It will be the worst decision you've ever made.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, the dream is over. Even after all the lay-offs you've made, you have no chance at salvaging any worth of the company and you're months away from letting the company go under. It clearly wasn't the people who were there previously--it's you. You can't be possibly be happy going to work every day to a miserable environment. Break up the company and move on.

"Sales"

I worked at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I started, Fishbowl was one of the best!

Cons

They replaced the entire Executive team...what a shame

Advice to Management

You are really misrepresenting your self! As i reviewed your information here, all of the pictures you have posted are when the company was one of the best employers in the area. You are being quite misleading

"Unraveling of a once good company"

I worked at Fishbowl Marketing full-time

Pros

Nice office environment. Individual contributors are friendly. Market segment is interesting.

Cons

Executive management is gutting the company of anyone who doesn't fit their demographic. New product strategy has already had two false starts. There is a great sense of urgency to move fast but there is no clear direction and a total lack of coordination and leadership so it just creates churn, stress and frustration.

Advice to Management

Board should look at how effective executive management has been in putting in place a successful corporate strategy.

"Fun to Enjoyable to Meh to Nope"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment when I started. Lots of fun. Bagel Fridays. New office on the waterfront. Shuttle goes to the metro every 30 mins which is convenient.

Cons

Pay is poor unless you're fresh out of college. Management should listen to both sides of a story. I wouldn't recommend based on the high turnover rate of the marketing specialists.

Advice to Management

Maybe you should take a chance to listen to employees that are farther down the food chain. Some of the managers are not very happy and take it out on smaller "fish".