Fishbowl Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 19, 2018

2.9
Dev Ganesan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I've met some great people and some not so great" (in 10 reviews)

• "Free bagels on Fridays, location" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Co-workers complain openly: All my co-workers in my team and other would openly vent and complain daily about how awful the work load is" (in 4 reviews)

• "Product and directions change with every new leadership" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Sales pov"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to make big money. Short sales cycle with high ACV. Quarterly bonuses and stretch bonuses for hitting or exceeding goal are lucrative and doable. Fun office environment and sales team

Cons

Selling to restaurants takes adapting to. Restaurant owners juggle a lot at once. Need to be diligent to keep them on track in sales process and stay top of mind for them

Advice to Management

Enterprise and Local staff don't interact a ton on a day-to-day basis. Trivia and upcoming holiday events have been/are fun and help with that on a personal and social level, but more work collaboration between the two would make them feel less distinct and more focused on same mission

"Follow the trends"

I worked at Fishbowl Marketing full-time

Pros

Fishbowl VA office is modern with great views and a nice location. Free bagels for staff on fridays.

Cons

Follow the trendline of the reviews here and you'll see the story.
    Staff is over-worked and under-supported, leading to an overall sense of frustration and uncertainty in your future with the company and the company's future overall. Don't get too attached to your coworkers- the turnover rate is OFF-THE-CHARTS. While I was here we had a going away happy hour on what seemed like a monthly basis. You will nonetheless develop some tight bonds with your coworkers while they're here- bonds tempered by the shared anxiety and frustration of the day-to-day.
    The single biggest source of pain however will be the company's push to outsource cheap labor to India. The clients certainly are not aware in most cases that many aspects of the work, from services, to marketing, development & design, are being handled by the team in india. The ever-shrinking US team is then left running damage control when work is not done to spec.
    Management knowingly shares dishonest metrics with customers and joke about it internally - make the sale no matter what it takes. I worked here before the CEO shuffle began and saw the culture and company change drastically.. it really was an incredible thing to behold.
    But on the bright side, when they hold a round of layoffs they might treat those of you remaining to a pizza party.

Advice to Management

stop sourcing work to the lowest bidder. stop lying to customers. just stop.

"Every couple of years new leadership comes , claims everything that previous one was doing was totally wrong"

I worked at Fishbowl Marketing (More than 3 years)

Pros

It use to be a great company . Current and previous leadership messed it up royally . Lot of good employees left or were fired

Leadership current and previous( 2018 , 2017 and before that ) is responsible for bringing this company down

Cons

Not a stable company
    Product and directions change with every new leadership
    Stress level are high .
    Pressure on reducing employee salaries

Advice to Management

Stop playing politics and respect the talent you have ( or had at one point )

4. "Day to day is fine... Don't spend too much time here."

Former Employee - Implementation Specialist
    Former Employee - Implementation Specialist

I worked at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work/Life Balance
    - Good People

Cons

- Pay
    - Poor inter-departmental communication
    - Core products needs improvements

"Avoid Local at All Costs!"

Former Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free bagels on Fridays, location

Cons

Easily the worst job I've ever had. Local employees are given a large number of clients and expected to give 150% when they are being paid an extremely low salary. Almost all employees have expressed how overwhelmed they are to management, but they do not care. Managers have little to none experience and don't value the team members.

Advice to Management

Reward your employees, less clients, hire more people

"The most stressful job I’ve ever had!"

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual work attire. A lot of free food (incl. free bagels on Friday). Beautiful views of the Potomac River. Ability to work from home 1-2 days a week. Get to work with big name clients.
    The work environment is fun if it is your first job out of college because most of the employees are under 26 years old.

Cons

Easily the worst job I have ever had. The culture resembled a startup environment rather than a company that has been in business for over a decade. My department had a lot of turnover (the most out of all the departments). Very few people stayed for more than 2 years. When people would leave, they would not replace them and instead give the workload to the remaining employees.
    Clients were understandably upset about the high employee turnover because this resulted in them having a new marketing consultant every 6-9 months.

There were no opportunities for advancement. Salaries were VERY low and the work hours were long (10 hour days). You often had to work late if you had West coast clients. It was impossible to unplug on the weekends. Even using your vacation days was stressful because you had to have someone cover all of your accounts (plus train them on your accounts) while you were away.

In 2017, Fishbowl wad bought by a private equity firm and they put a lot of pressure on VPs and Directors to cut costs and increase billable services. They outsourced a lot of work to India. They attempted to outsource some of the marketing consultant tasks but this often resulted in mistakes and additional work for U.S. employees.

There is also a lack of respect for employees: For example, they changed the pay calendar with only 4 days notice. We went unpaid for 3 weeks!

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like mules. Provide opportunities for advancement instead of having a churn and burn culture. Be upfront & honest with clients about what we can deliver. Have a clear long term strategy.

"Work Hard, Play Hard"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture
    Great Benefits
    Cool People
    Fun Team Events
    Beautiful office
    Opportunity to hone sales skills ,make a lot of money, and move up in the company
    Recent new changes to management and additions/improvements to products and services have really made an immediate, positive impact on several facets of the business and culture

Cons

Like any other company, there's the bad eggs who only like to complain. Stay away from them, work hard, and you will be happy.

Advice to Management

Keep improving/ adapting to retain clients and talent!

8. "Implementation Engineer"

Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Annandale, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Annandale, VA

I worked at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity. A lot different products to gain tons of knowledge. Allowed to work remote if needed and no micro managers.

Cons

Worklife balance. Benefits are ok. Some co-workers are too comfortable in their roles and don’t put the same effort as others, but this is changing.

Advice to Management

Nothing to say here, trusting the process and the culture the management is currently implementing Seems that things are getting better and we had a mess to clean up after our last CEO

9. "Employed at Fishbowl"

I have been working at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Company change from the parent

"Okay for a first job, but that's it."

Former Employee - Business Development Associate
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate

I worked at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fishbowl was a good first job out of college. The relaxed social atmosphere complimented the sometimes high-stress flip side of sales, and all of my coworkers were within the same early to mid 20s age range. The location is nice and on the water, there is not a work place dress code, and you truly become friends with the people sitting next to you. I found that it was a nice place to learn office skills such as how to sit at a desk for 8 hours, use Salesforce, speak on the phone to an angry client, or send a professional email. Great double-monitor computers at every desk, and there are frequent prizes and outings for when the team preforms well.

Cons

The work is incredibly mundane. The product itself does not seem particularly desirable to most potential clients, and doing the simple same task over and over day after day month after month eventually became too much for me to handle. I was not challenged mentally, and we were often met with very harsh private and group lectures from our supervisor about missing seemingly arbitrary quotas. There was a transparent ranking system that pitted people against each other, and the sales staff and product team did not always get along, as they felt like we inaccurately represented the product and we felt like they weren't living up to basic expectations. There are little to no advancement opportunities for BDAs or sales reps alike. The pay was terrible and shifted around frequently, as management kept decreasing what one sales lead was "worth" in our capped (!) commission. You are actively discouraged from taking PTO despite accruing a good amount, which was stressful. No 401k matching.

I eventually left to pursue career opportunities that allowed me to actually use my brain, feel valued as an individual, advance in my career by learning new skills as well as earning a reasonable living, and be able to take a vacation day without feeling like I'd get a personal lecture about my performance.

Advice to Management

Management should encourage collaboration between the product and sales teams such as weekly meetings and check ins with product managers and sales account representatives. Value the young people coming into your office and give compassionate feedback instead of yelling at them in an attempt to motivate the team. Allow for reasonable time off without being shamed.